Current Moab Conditions- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 42 of 42
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtdiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    186

    New question here. Current Moab Conditions

    A group of us from SoCal have next weekend off (Dec 12-15) from work and was planning on riding Moab. We figure it'll be cold, but we're worried about snow. How's the top of Porcupine looking?..or any of the other great rides in the area, for that matter.
    Happy trails!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crager34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    384
    Weather looks great here through the weekend. Burro Pass is snowed in, but you might be able to do Hazard down. All the rest in town are riding niiiiicccccceeeeeee!!
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdiva
    A group of us from SoCal have next weekend off (Dec 12-15) from work and was planning on riding Moab. We figure it'll be cold, but we're worried about snow. How's the top of Porcupine looking?..or any of the other great rides in the area, for that matter.
    Diva:

    If the weather turns bad in Moab you might consider Sedona. The scenery and riding is world class and we have a diversirty of singletrack that might pique yor interest. Plus it's four hours closer.

    If you do go to Moab you might consider riding Rockstacker if you haven't done it before, I understand they have recently marked the route. There is a really cool way of getting to the trail from the Potash plant viewpoint if you haven't done that before.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtdiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    186

    New rides

    I don't think I've done either Hazard or Rockstacker. Now, I gotta figure out how to fit 3 or 4 rides in 2 1/2 days. Any suggestions on other rides for 6-7" travel bikes? .
    Happy trails!

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdiva
    I don't think I've done either Hazard or Rockstacker. Now, I gotta figure out how to fit 3 or 4 rides in 2 1/2 days. Any suggestions on other rides for 6-7" travel bikes? .
    Tell us what trails you want to ride again and what you don't want to ride. There is a new trail that takes a 95 minute shuttle, but since it drops out of the La Sals it might be covered with snow at elevation.

    Doc

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtdiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    186
    Thanks, for the input, Crager and Traildoc.

    Def wanna ride Porc again, but I don't know if it'll be worth it if the upper sections are snowed in. The super long shuttle from the La Sals sounds mouth watering good, but I'd rather not have suckfest slogging through snow with frozen toes. We did that earlier this year in the Sierras for a couple of hours, but at least, the temps were pretty warm and even warmer (80 degrees) when we got to the bottom.

    A few of the guys, if they don't flake, haven't ridden Moab before, so they have no concept of how the riding is there. These boys got some skills and are up for anything. For me, I've ridden Slickrock, Behind the Rocks, Porc (from Slickrock), and Poison Spider. The boys will probably be bringing their Nomad type bikes, so a little pedaling is no biggie. So, what are the suggestions?
    Happy trails!

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdiva
    Thanks, for the input, Crager and Traildoc.

    Def wanna ride Porc again, but I don't know if it'll be worth it if the upper sections are snowed in. The super long shuttle from the La Sals sounds mouth watering good, but I'd rather not have suckfest slogging through snow with frozen toes. We did that earlier this year in the Sierras for a couple of hours, but at least, the temps were pretty warm and even warmer (80 degrees) when we got to the bottom.

    A few of the guys, if they don't flake, haven't ridden Moab before, so they have no concept of how the riding is there. These boys got some skills and are up for anything. For me, I've ridden Slickrock, Behind the Rocks, Porc (from Slickrock), and Poison Spider. The boys will probably be bringing their Nomad type bikes, so a little pedaling is no biggie. So, what are the suggestions?
    Does this ride fit one day of your schedue?

    http://www.leelau.net/2007/moab2007_...bar2007_10_05/

    Doc

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtdiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    186
    Could be a fit, but I think the boys want more FR type stuff.
    Happy trails!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crager34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    384
    DOC - That is a good write up, but don't be fooled with the riding from the Gemini Bridges parking area off of 191. The ride from there to the Blue Dot is up up up. BUT.... blue dot is a cool Cross Country route.

    You want FR (downhill disguised)? Get dressed and do Hazard down. Trail is wet in spots, but so was Klondike Yesterday.
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtdiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    186
    So, Hazard's not snowed in?
    Happy trails!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crager34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdiva
    So, Hazard's not snowed in?

    As of yesterday it is not snowed it. But you should see the cloud bank hanging over the La Sals today. Of course, you could start Porcupine, then ride up LPS then back down....hehehe
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtdiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    186

    I hope it holds

    Planning to be there for a short ride on Fri aftrnoon, then hopefully two good rides on Sat and a short on Sun b4 leaving.
    Happy trails!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crager34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    384
    The in town Shuttles should be able to take you to the Gold Bar Rim trail start via Gemini Bridges, which would shorten your ride up quite a bit for the Blue Dot to Portal run. Soverign trail is a great cross country ride with 20+ miles of trails. Of course you have all the standards. I haven't been to Rockstacker yet, but I hear good things about that. Some Trail Mix folks were out a couple weeks ago on LPS and Rockstacker and now they are recognized by the BLM. The Blue Dot trail is not recognized, but you can ride it easy enough. You can also ride easy enough UPS, but that is officially closed by the BLM.

    Weather outlook is high 40's into low 50's, so not to bad at all with the right gear on.
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtdiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    186
    Thanks
    Happy trails!

  15. #15
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdiva
    So, Hazard's not snowed in?
    Hazard down could be the worst decision you have ever made if it's wet. If you want freeride you need to do the Chille Drop or the Organ Donor.

    Doc

  16. #16
    More Chasmism
    Reputation: hfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    798
    Quote Originally Posted by crager34
    DOC - That is a good write up, but don't be fooled with the riding from the Gemini Bridges parking area off of 191. The ride from there to the Blue Dot is up up up. BUT.... blue dot is a cool Cross Country route.

    You want FR (downhill disguised)? Get dressed and do Hazard down. Trail is wet in spots, but so was Klondike Yesterday.
    If there are two rides with which traildoc is as familiar as a daddy, they are Blue Dot and LPS.

    hfly

  17. #17
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by hfly
    If there are two rides with which traildoc is as familiar as a daddy hfly
    hfly:

    As the father of Rockstacker are you also the father of Pot Hole?

    Doc

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtdiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    186

    Interesting

    Where is Chile Drop or Organ Donor? Is it on a map, or maybe, one of you can guide us there.
    Happy trails!

  19. #19
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdiva
    Where is Chile Drop or Organ Donor? Is it on a map, or maybe, one of you can guide us there.
    This is the Chile Drop. The 7" bike should like this ride. If you like this ride go into the shops and ask around about Organ Donor. You might need to tip the source $20 to get the beta, but it will be worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  20. #20
    More Chasmism
    Reputation: hfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    798
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    hfly:

    As the father of Rockstacker are you also the father of Pot Hole?

    Doc
    Nope. That line goes way back ... long before I was around.

    Check your PMs.

    hfly

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtdiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    186

    Research it is

    Thanks, traildoc. More research for me. Oh, where does the time go?...oh, yeah, work.
    Happy trails!

  22. #22
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdiva
    Thanks, traildoc. More research for me. Oh, where does the time go?...oh, yeah, work.
    Dirt:

    How did the trip go? The weather held up in Sedona until about two hours ago.

    Doc

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crager34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    384
    Moab got the snow!! Only thing good to ride is the indoor trainer with a pint of Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flipnidaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,198
    a couple of inches of snow in downtown Moab. The shady side of the cliffs have snow, sunny side of the cliffs have melted. We ditched riding today after riding Amasa and Rockstacker yesterday (it was the first time we've ever had Amasa all to ourselves) and decided to shop instead...

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtdiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    186
    What if you already have a chubby hubby?
    Happy trails!

  26. #26
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,696
    My girlfriend and I will be out in Moab between Christmas in New Years. We'll be camping, and we'll have our bikes, so we hope to be able to ride. Yes, we know it'll be cold! We did a similar trip two years ago. We had the place to ourselves.

    If any of you see a couple riding red and blue Intenses (SlopeStyle and 5.5), stop us and say hello! (any advice will be appreciated, too!)

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jcospoco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    302
    updates?

  28. #28
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Reputation: NoahColorado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,783
    Rode Amasa back yesterday - excellent. Other areas mostly under sow or ice.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crager34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    384
    I say most places are ridable with some snow and ice on the trails. VERY COLD out though.

    Ummm.... forget what I said... Noah's description is better. Sorry
    Last edited by crager34; 01-08-2009 at 03:47 PM.
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    Rode Amasa back yesterday - excellent. Other areas mostly under sow or ice.
    Noah,

    Did you come down Jackson? Seems like it would still be snowy(or moreso icy) since it is mostly North facing.

    Thanks!
    Uh-huh, uh-huh. Okay. Um Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about uuhhh, things. Uhh... the things.

  31. #31
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Reputation: NoahColorado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,783
    I just did the out and back - Jacksons would mostly surely be treacherous!

    I'm going again tomorrow on the way to AZ. Probably just do SPL and a Chili lap. The weather here is much warmer today so Moab should be getting more ride-able as we speak.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,892
    How is the White Rim looking right now?

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,666
    What is the earliest you can hit upper porcupine starting in the mountains in hazard county (the 30 mile ride or so)? I am trying to plan a trip and have to give work significant notice. Late March, early April? Thanks!

  34. #34
    .......................
    Reputation: ionsmuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,049
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider
    What is the earliest you can hit upper porcupine starting in the mountains in hazard county (the 30 mile ride or so)? I am trying to plan a trip and have to give work significant notice. Late March, early April? Thanks!
    Late May/early June would be the earliest for sure time period (and even then..). It all depends on how much snow falls in the rest of the winter.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,666
    Thanks for the info. It never comes soon enough.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jcospoco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    302
    i'll be out there Pres Wknd. now begins the time in which I will look for updates for the next 3-4 weeks! hopefully something besides Amasa Back and Slickrock (not that those are bad options by any means) will be dry. but beggars can't be choosers. living in Breck, I will take any dry dirt this time of year.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    36
    I will also be driving through the area on presidents day and would love to get a ride in either fruita or moab. Guess well have to see what this weather does in the next few weeks...

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    410
    I've only ridden Poison Spider once and it was this time of year. It was pretty fun, actually. When I considered what the sand traps would look like in the dry, I never had the urge to ride it in the "in" season. That being said, I've only ridden Portal on that same ride, and it may be more fun/rideable without all that snow and ice! Still fun though! Don't forget Bartlett's.

    Agree with Ion on Hazard/Porc. That's a really good fall ride.

    Cheers!

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: breckseth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    296

    How about now???

    C' mon Moabites> whats the scoop> did you guys get snow again this storm or what? How we lookin?
    The best trails are STILL...

    www.breckepic.com
    http://mavsports.com/

  40. #40
    CoolArrow
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,468

    Bump

    yeah, trying to get a heads up for whats rideable other than Amasa and Slickrock for this weekend....

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jcospoco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    302
    c'mon folks...

  42. #42
    frejwilk
    Guest
    Everything you'd expect is good right now. By that I mean trails below 6000'. Only a bit of snow still hiding from the sun.

    I rode in the Gemini Bridges and Gold Bar areas today. Conditions there were great. Even the sand was packed pretty well. I know a few trails have some 'soft' surface (freeze/thaw), but nothing too bad.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.