Current favorite tire for Utah desert riding?- Mtbr.com
    should know better.....

Current favorite tire for Utah desert riding?

OK, did the search, not finding a ton of current info, and things definitely evolve over time.
    So, What are you riding for SW Utah? ( St. George, Goose, Little Creek, including a Grafton Shuttle ride)
    I'm thinking of staying with my tubeless.
    I've ridden in the desert dozens of times, just wondering what is the latest and greatest, in particular tubeless. This is for more techy riding, playing on Slickrock, drops etc. 6" travel bikes. Not super fast XC.
    I've found Nevegals to be a little fragile (sidewalls...), and slow, (they are great here in the north east) had good luck with motoraptors.
    I've heard good things about the small block 8 for slickrock, how is it everywhere else?
    Highrollers? I've got a 2.35 LUST on the back right now. Nevegal up front.
    Any input would be great.
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

I'd rather be biking...
    I've only rode a few sets of tires: small blocks 8's, nevegals, spec. captains, maxxis igniters, hutchinson spidar and airlights so i dont have a huge range of options like most others. However i really enjoyed having small blocks on my bike. I ran 2.35's for a long time and i belive dual compounds (not sure if they come in single compound) but thats what i ran for a long time. Pros: Had great hook up on slickrock, Let me rephrase this...They where frickin awesome!(I felt like a billygoat) and where super fast rolling tires on hardpack. Cons: small knobs don't last very long, seemed like they where out fast, Felt loose on loose soil. Flying down rocky loose hills was extremely scary. Heard a lot of complaints while riding in sandy areas about these tires and while im sure they are not the best in sand but hey its sand.....It sucks either way. All this was on a 6" all mountain bike. So it saw light freeriding and xc riding.

Overall though The ignitors and nevegals where a more "all around tire" and enjoyed them both especially when things where damp. I could ride them anywhere and felt good about doing anything. They seemed to clean themselves faster then the small blocks did in wet weather. I noticed they didnt roll as fast and grip as good on slickrock but since ur sporting tubeless slickrock riding will be better anyway. If i could pic i would have a set of nevegals for everyday stuff and a set of small blocks for jem/goose style riding

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I agree with shelbster's pick's and have also had great luck with Bontrager Big Earls for everything from velcro/spiderman Gooseberry lines to charging Gratfon or Dark Hollow. Most folks I know riding them seem to like them. I do find that no matter what you are running for sneakers this place just eats up tires period! I cut through a basically brand new front tire at littlecreek on some harmless rock section recently.
    Or, if you want to have a really weird day at the goose, find yourself some sort of round high volume park/jump tire like a hookworm or intense micro knobby and search for the line less traveled and high side those wall rides. What you are lacking for traction in the sand will be made up in the rock for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neverwalk
    Highrollers? I've got a 2.35 LUST on the back right now. Nevegal up front.
    Any input would be great.
    Perfect. The Nevagal does seem to have a weak sidewall and rolls a bit slow but the grip/tread pattern is great for the desert SW. The High Roller LUST in back is perfect.

I'm running a 2.5 Excavator (dual ply/wire bead) Stick-E up front on my 6" inch and it performed flawlessly on my recent trip to St. George. I haven't run it tubless yet but have no reason to believe it wouldn't work great.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    I run a 2.5 Wierwolfs with no problems. The Maxxis Ardents are next on my list to try.

bike junkie
    Mar 2004
    I've been on SB 8s, Nevegals, Schwalbe and some Intense. My fav for the desert is the Kenda Blue Groove. Nice and wide, floats great and seems to roll pretty fast. I need to get back to Southern Utah.

mtbr member
    My recent tire thread on the Turner boards sums up the tires I've been running recently in So. Utah. I'm currently running the Maxxis Ardent 2.4 front and rear. So far so good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Bought a pair of 2.4 Ardents, leaving for the 4th ride on them noticed tube bulging through the sidewall of one. And that was from 3 rides in PC, where the trail is mostly dirt. BOOOO!

mtbr member
    Nevegal or igniters for me

bike junkie
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stratodab
    Bought a pair of 2.4 Ardents, leaving for the 4th ride on them noticed tube bulging through the sidewall of one. And that was from 3 rides in PC, where the trail is mostly dirt. BOOOO!
    A buddy had two Maxxis Ignitors do that on him.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    New Rubber Queens and Mountain Kings are really coming on strong around here. Everyone seems to like them. Personal fav.... Nevagal Stick E in a 2.35. They stick like glue on the slickrock but you do sacrafice some durability.. they wear faster than the DTC model.

bike junkie
    Mar 2004
    I'd agree. I think some Contis will go on my 29er for sure in the Spring. If they're awesome they go on other scoots.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I personally love the Moto Raptors for 26er, they are sort of the tire of choice down in Moab but I rode them universally before I switched to 650b. Now I ride a Pacenti in the rear that reminds me a lot of the raptors, and a Nevegal up front. Never had a sidewall issue, period...

Really I am that slow
    A big fan of the wier wolf 2.5 in 29er sized bikes and a fan of the conti rubber queen for little wheeled bikes...
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Would some of you recommend these same tires for the mountains as well? Recently moved to PC from Mammoth where my 2.35 LUST High Roller in back and a 2.40 Specialized up front is needed for the pumice/sand/decomposed granite there. My unpacking is done and the weather has me back out and was wondering if these are too much tire here for typical hard pack? I do a lot of climbing on a 5.5" travel bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Not at all, I ride a 2.35 or 2.4 fairly knobby style on everything on a big 5" bike also. It really depends on your style and feel, a lot of folks ride ridepack tires but we actively seek the trails in Park City (and going out to the Uintas this morning) that are the difficult technical ones where that bite helps. Something like a V8 is a great tire but not my tire of choice personally and I also think 2.1 or 2.2 is too narrow for anything but a race bike. Just my $.02, hope it helps...

Members who have read this thread: 0