current Crest trail status- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

current Crest trail status

Just in case anyone is wondering, the Crest is kinda ready to ride, but kinda not.

I had heard from everyone that the Crest was dry and good to go, so yesterday a few friends and I went up for an evening lap. Scott's is pretty dry, but after Puke hill we hit numerous snowfields. In total, there were 4 or 5 snowy spots, each around 1-2 feet deep and 30-60 feet across. It seems like it's melting reasonably fast, but it'll be a week or two at least before the trail is clear.

Between Puke Hill and the red dirt climbs, there are a LOT of new aspen saplings growing right next to the trail. Their branches are FAR worse then I've ever seen them before. I've got welts all over my right arm and a few on my face. Might need some pruning.

The largest problem we found were the half dozen trees that had fallen across the trail while coming down Millcreek. Most were on the Little Water descent. So be ready to use the brakes.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Frame Building Moderator
    I'm thinking of trying it Tuesday. Anyone know if Pinecone is clear (both of snow and blowdowns)?

-Walt

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    last I heard as of Saturday Pinecone is NOT ready with a massive amount of snow towards the top, after this week with 100 degree temps id imagine it being gtg.

Crest is 100% good to go, we rode it last night with no hike a bike.

The more popular trails are already dusty and going to be deep moon dust by the weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post
    last I heard as of Saturday Pinecone is NOT ready with a massive amount of snow towards the top, after this week with 100 degree temps id imagine it being gtg.

Crest is 100% good to go, we rode it last night with no hike a bike.

The more popular trails are already dusty and going to be deep moon dust by the weekend.
    Just to clarify, you didn't hit all the snow on the crest last night? There was still a lot of it when we went. I'd be surprised (and happy) if it had all melted that fast. And which exit did you take?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I'm thinking of trying it Tuesday. Anyone know if Pinecone is clear (both of snow and blowdowns)?

-Walt
    According to folks on facebook, trees have all been cleared but there's snow on the last 3/4 mile.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/3389...1390420895577/

Personally, planning on hitting it Saturday as part of a 50 mile loop, fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    Just to clarify, you didn't hit all the snow on the crest last night? There was still a lot of it when we went. I'd be surprised (and happy) if it had all melted that fast. And which exit did you take?
    For further clarification re-read my last post we exited Robs/Colins

With it finally being completely rideable and in combination with the blazing temps this weekend that whole area is going to be a zoo, going to avoid it like the plague. Guardsman pass is a complete shart show.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Has anyone ridden into Mill Creek yet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

-Walt
    Pinecone is clear to the last switchback from there to the top there is a lot of snow that I walked last night so as not to widen the trail. By the weekend I bet this heat will melt and dry that all up. So as long as you don't mind a bit of walking on snow, you should have no real issue getting there.

From puke hill down to the canyons overlook you are good to go and it is in really good shape actually. There was some snow, but it was on double track where one of the tracks was clear.

There was one downed tree on little water last night but that is all I came across all night.

g

mtbr member
    There were about 5 downed trees on Little Water in millcreek a week ago. Sounds like they're clearing them up. We got one out of the way, but couldn't get the others by hand.

I'm just hoping that some kind soul brought up some pruning shears to take down some of those little aspen branches just before the red dirt climbs. Still got welts on my right arm a week later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks, that's how I get to work when I ride my bike. I didn't want to find it still snow covered and have to turn around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    There were about 5 downed trees on Little Water in millcreek a week ago. Sounds like they're clearing them up. We got one out of the way, but couldn't get the others by hand.

I'm just hoping that some kind soul brought up some pruning shears to take down some of those little aspen branches just before the red dirt climbs. Still got welts on my right arm a week later.
    As of Saturday there was only one down tree on Little Water, right by the entrance, and one tree down close to the Park City/Mill Creek turn off. Maybe I'm imagining things but it seems someone did cut back the branches that were whipping you before the climb. There were still some but it didn't seem as many as the previous time I rode.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalsoul View Post
    As of Saturday there was only one down tree on Little Water, right by the entrance, and one tree down close to the Park City/Mill Creek turn off. Maybe I'm imagining things but it seems someone did cut back the branches that were whipping you before the climb. There were still some but it didn't seem as many as the previous time I rode.
    This is the greatest news I've ever heard. Thanks! Heading up this evening for a lap down to the Canyons. Gonna be so good!

mtbr member
    Oh, and a quick heads up. I have a feeling that this weekend is going to be VERY crowded on the trail. Very crowded, as in much more than the usual overcrowded weekend. The annual PressCamp event is happening, so every bike journalist in the region has convened on PC for the week to test out the latest and greatest toys. So if you are a misanthrope and prefer the company of moose to humans, I'd get up there nice and early.

Frame Building Moderator
    Yeah, this is not the weekend to ride anywhere around PCMR or DV.

I do love reading the "reviews" of 160+mm trail bikes, with pictures of people totally shredding Jenny's or Loose Moose or something equally tame.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    it's fine if you are done by 10am. :-D

mtbr member
    Last time I rode this trail was back in early 2000's. Today was the first I have ridden it since that time. Night and day difference in the Crest from now till then and not in a good way either imo. Shuttle services are killing that trail and I don't think they even care. I determined for me that I never need to ride that trail the rest of my life. Yes, I climbed my way up to it from PC.
    '18 Scalpel Si Carbon 2 Eagle
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..:)

Frame Building Moderator
    The Crest part is not that exciting, but how much has it really changed?

The ride is classic for the views, and for the descent back into the Canyons (or to a much lesser extent, Mill Creek). The actual Crest portion, other than views, is pretty meh.

-Walt

mtbr member
    The Crest part is not that exciting, but how much has it really changed?

The ride is classic for the views, and for the descent back into the Canyons (or to a much lesser extent, Mill Creek). The actual Crest portion, other than views, is pretty meh.

-Walt
    To me it is way crowded and was more rude people on it from other trails I have ridden. I ended up loosing a spoke in my front wheel. I stopped to deal with that and was as far off the trail as I could possibly get where I was. Some guy was flying down and got pissed because he had to slow down to not hit me. Made some comment as he went by. I was like wtf, it is not a downhill race track for christ sakes. I just feel the trail is in bad shape from the very first time I rode it.

It was just not the fun trail I remembered when I first moved here in 2000. I agree with you Walt in that all it is really good for is the views. The shuttle services are adding to it getting bad imo since they are putting more people on that trail than what it can handle.

Frame Building Moderator
    Yeah, the shuttle thing confuses me. If I was shuttling I'd descend Pinecone and then John's or whatever I fancied at PCMR, not pedal across that whole ridge (most of which is really boring dead-straight bench cut) and then ride the godawful Mill Creek pipeline trail.

Seeing freeride bikes and fullface helmets on it is hilarious, too. It's got maybe 500 feet of trail where even an intermediate rider would need or want either of those things.

Yet it's a popular ride. Takes all kinds, I guess. I thought the trail itself was in fine shape, sorry you had a bad time!

If SLC ever got it's act together and built some trails on the ridge above Emigration to Mt. Wire (the south face of Wire is *begging* for some trails), there would be an *amazing* ride available from the PC area into SLC. Then you'd have the Crest all to yourself! I'm not holding my breath, though, since we're coming up on the 10 year anniversary of the Emigration trail plan with zero effort made to implement it.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash29r View Post
    To me it is way crowded and was more rude people on it from other trails I have ridden. I ended up loosing a spoke in my front wheel. I stopped to deal with that and was as far off the trail as I could possibly get where I was. Some guy was flying down and got pissed because he had to slow down to not hit me. Made some comment as he went by. I was like wtf, it is not a downhill race track for christ sakes. I just feel the trail is in bad shape from the very first time I rode it.

It was just not the fun trail I remembered when I first moved here in 2000. I agree with you Walt in that all it is really good for is the views. The shuttle services are adding to it getting bad imo since they are putting more people on that trail than what it can handle.
    yeah but did you post a picture or any sweet video up on instagram? ... do you know where the LCC trail is?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yeah, this is not the weekend to ride anywhere around PCMR or DV.
    I was pleasantly surprised by how not-busy it was. Yeah, I passed lots of folks, and stopped to let lots of folks past, but it all kind of blurs together when you're out for almost 8 hours. Not super surprising given that I was out of Deer Valley area by noon or so, but the only obvious Press Camp stuff were the "Press Camp ->" signs on Outlook/Deer Crest/Pipeline stuff on the far east side.

I did feel bad for the kid I talked to about 1/3 down Ridge Connector - he must have gotten separated from his group and was just trying to figure out how to get back - but he didn't know exactly where he was trying to get to, just "we started at the resort with the slide". In my dazed-and-confused-just-get-back-to-the-car state, I was just about as clueless as to where that might be as he was...

mtbr member
    I took pics, but I take pics no matter where I ride. What was the point of the LCC trail question? That is another crowed trail to with some of the same rude people riding that won't yield to hikers and think they own the trail. I worry more about stuff like that getting trails closed to riding. I yield to hikers all the time and most are surprised to even know they have the right of way over bikes. Things need to change imo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash29r View Post
    I took pics, but I take pics no matter where I ride. What was the point of the LCC trail question? That is another crowed trail to with some of the same rude people riding that won't yield to hikers and think they own the trail. I worry more about stuff like that getting trails closed to riding. I yield to hikers all the time and most are surprised to even know they have the right of way over bikes. Things need to change imo.
    I don't think his comments were necessarily directed at you, but instead were a passive aggressive commentary on how social media has transformed and ruined many of our outdoor experiences.

Any of us that have ridden, hiked, or skied in the Wasatch range for the last 10-25 years will notice that the increase traffic on the trail is not due solely to the increase in the number of people in Salt Lake City but is in large part being driven by the selfie attitude of social media. People that never would have cared about biking or climbing or hiking can no be found on any trail in the wasatch front taking pictures of themselves in "extreme places" to be shared with their friends on Instagram.

I am not going to say that I don't post pictures on instagram either.. I do, but there is a noticeable difference in the "type" and "mentality" of people that you see on the trail today compared to even 5 years ago.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ^yeah just teasing a bit, its all good, I still have a flip phone.

I dont mind the social media stuff in a limited dose, and will check other peeps on instagram, Facebook from my computer...theres some good useful stuff that gets posted for sure, and do my best to avoid the gutters. I just dont find the need to be plugged in 24-7. Just seems stressful to like, respond, update all day long.

My phone stays in the car when riding, and if I take pictures its with a camera because my flip phone sucks for pics they only get shared in a limited fashion via a TR in a forum or making prints/art.

I do agree with 123ski, there does seem to be a shift in type/mentality over the last few years and I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly...I have a hunch thats its some form of grandiosity that stems from social media.... not sure if we're all part of it to a degree, but its an interesting observation.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as an attack on anyone but I find it interesting to talk about.

-peace

mtbr member
    Pics I take don't have me in them generally. I take them to show others views that will never see them or be able to see them. My phone is with me because I use Strava to track my mountain bike miles. No I am not one of those striving to be the best on a certain section. Just purely to track my rides. I don't want to get a computer for my mountain bike. I generally would rather just ride and enjoy what I am riding. I was more speaking to the condition of the trail from what I remembered way back in early 2000 when I first rode it. I guess I am more discouraged with the courtesy or lack there of these days with some riders and what trails are turning into. I have talked to enough hikers while riding to know that most are not fans of riders. I would just like to see some courtesy and trail etiquette from these newer riders.