Current Conditions around Moab- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Current Conditions around Moab

I've got a bit of free time the next few days and was wondering if anything around Moab is rideable. I understand if it's not, as AZ just got a large storm. Thought I might make the trip though, as I've never been up to those parts.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    We had some more snow Wednesday. If you have a Fat bike you might be able to ride Navajo Rocks/ Horsethief area but a trail up there that normally takes me an hour took me almost three last week with 8Ē of snow. Brand trails will be mud. Klonzo= mud. Porcupine= snow& mud. Klondike.....some trails on slickrock will be ridable but shaded areas will have snow and ice.
    The only thing I might try is Amassa back/ Ahab as itís mainly south facing and gets alot of sun, even then Ahab is going to have ice/ snow on the lower half.
    Sorry, not a bright report.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Poison Spider website has 2 trails listed as open in all of the Moab area
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Moab Trail mix has also been posting weekly trail condition updates on IG: https://www.instagram.com/moabtrailmix/

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    In case anyone was wondering, Moab got a pretty big snowstorm 2/16-2/18. Eight inches of wet snow in town, more on the higher trails I'm sure. It is supposed to be very cold (for Moab in February) for at least a week, hopefully it warms up and melts enough for the Poison Spider Thaw event the first weekend of March.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    What's the word on this latest round of rain/snow? poison spider is showing amasa area closed. Any chance of rock stacker/Jackson's being dry by the weekend?

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    We had rain through last night. Everything is pretty muddy today, things in the sun will be dry by Saturday. Jacksonís is shaded and Iím guessing it probably still has snow on it, I think Hymasa, Ahab may be doable by Saturday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Hey guys, any update ? I was checking on strava and it looks like porcupine still has snow. Seems like you guys had lots of snow this year ! Headed there in about 3 weeks. How close do you guys think we are from having UPS ready to go ?

slow
    Here is a photo of Porcupine Rim (center) from Monday. Still a bunch of snow up there.

Current Conditions around Moab-porcsnow.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Thanks Lol looks like south Canada, things better warm up quickly over there then.

mtbr member
    In three weeks you will likely be able to do UPS. I did Porcupine proper last Tuesday and there was only a skiff at the very top.

Honestly Utah didnít seem to have all that much snow. Driving home through West Yellowstone I noticed some houses were completely engulfed in snow. The snow on the roofs met the snow on the ground. Come to Montana if you want to see snow. Go to Utah if you want to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cookieMonster View Post
    In three weeks you will likely be able to do UPS. I did Porcupine proper last Tuesday and there was only a skiff at the very top.

Honestly Utah didnít seem to have all that much snow. Driving home through West Yellowstone I noticed some houses were completely engulfed in snow. The snow on the roofs met the snow on the ground. Come to Montana if you want to see snow. Go to Utah if you want to ride bikes.
    Hard to compare Yellowstone snowpack to Moab snowpack.
    But, Utah is in pretty good shape for water this year, overall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Current Conditions around Moab-west_mtdprecpctnormal_update.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Hard to compare Yellowstone snowpack to Moab snowpack.
    But, Utah is in pretty good shape for water this year, overall.
    Ughhhh........looks like the PNW is going to go up in flames this summer (again). I know we've had a pretty lean snow year, but we've had some bigger dumps of snow in the last few weeks which I was hoping would help the snowpack more than what that graphic shows. Apparently not enough.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    Ughhhh........looks like the PNW is going to go up in flames this summer (again). I know we've had a pretty lean snow year, but we've had some bigger dumps of snow in the last few weeks which I was hoping would help the snowpack more than what that graphic shows. Apparently not enough.
    My apologies. That was current month precip, not snow cover. Here's a current snow cover map as a % of normal. Still a little low, but not as bad:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Current Conditions around Moab-westwidesnotel03272019.jpg  

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    bump. any updates?
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    bump. any updates?
    As of this week, snowpack in Grand County is 496% of normal.

Or did you mean trail conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by sunderland56 View Post
    As of this week, snowpack in Grand County is 496% of normal.

Or did you mean trail conditions?
    LOL trail conditions. Looks like hazard is closed. Wondering amount mag 7?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hazard hasn't been open yet this year and isn't close to opening yet; not even sure if the road to drive up there is passable yet. With the rains this week even LPS is iffy.

Mag7 is a mud bog right now but might dry out by the weekend if it stays sunny.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Trail Mix is reporting Hazard/Kokopelli got MORE snow this week, so it's still covered in the white stuff with a gooey mud base. It'll be a few weeks. At least.

And, don't even think about Jackson trail unless you bring scuba gear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Trail Mix is reporting Hazard/Kokopelli got MORE snow this week, so it's still covered in the white stuff with a gooey mud base. It'll be a few weeks. At least.

And, don't even think about Jackson trail unless you bring scuba gear.
    Rode Mag trails today. All good. No mud at all. All good.

Mag7 was perfect

The .05 percent
    in town next weekend, any chance of a Hazzard down?
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    in town next weekend, any chance of a Hazzard down?
    Pretty much 0%

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Pretty much 0%
    Damnit, oh well. Im in AZ so not too bad. will hav2 come back in June
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Whats still closed on the whole enchilada?

Is thunder mountain open?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by delarosa View Post
    Whats still closed on the whole enchilada?

Is thunder mountain open?
    WE never opens until July at the absolute earliest. Will be late this year (it's still snowing up at altitude).

In that area, they are shuttling to Kokopelli again (it's been opened and closed multiple times because of mud and rain). Hazard is still snowed in.

For Thunder Mountain you're in the wrong forum.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    WE never opens until July at the absolute earliest. Will be late this year (it's still snowing up at altitude).

In that area, they are shuttling to Kokopelli again (it's been opened and closed multiple times because of mud and rain). Hazard is still snowed in.
    I'm coming to Moab in early August, Enchilada is one of the MustDo things on my list. Have you ever had a year(s) when WE (well, Burro pass & Hazard) was/were still closed around that time?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by borisotto View Post
    I'm coming to Moab in early August, Enchilada is one of the MustDo things on my list. Have you ever had a year(s) when WE (well, Burro pass & Hazard) was/were still closed around that time?
    I've never seen it closed in August due to leftover snow. Asteroids, zombie apocalypse, Plague....but not snow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I've never seen it closed in August due to leftover snow. Asteroids, zombie apocalypse, Plague....but not snow.
    Cool, I'll have garlic and dragon glass to deal with all that stuff!

trail gnome
    Snow shouldn't be an issue in early August. Heat will be.
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    Snow shouldn't be an issue in early August. Heat will be.
    Yep, +38C/100F as max temp could be tough. So I plan to ride early mornings and evenings on shorter trails. And start WE early morning as well.

mtbr member
    Yep, +38C/100F as max temp could be tough. So I plan to ride early mornings and evenings on shorter trails. And start WE early morning as well.
    The worst part of TWE is the hideous paved trail ride back to town! Although it's better than it was before they put that in.

mtbr member
    I'd consider starting TWE later rather than earlier. This sometimes works well on rides like TWE so that you're hitting hotter lower elevations towards end of day when it's cooling off a little. As a bonus you get golden hour light at the end and probably have the trails to yourself all day. Of course if you don't know how long it will take or are limited to shuttle company schedule that can be harder to time. Bring lights and layers just in case!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The worst part of TWE is the hideous paved trail ride back to town! Although it's better than it was before they put that in.
    It's 3 miles. Plus it's beside the river and partially shaded, so cooler than a lot of other places.

Besides, if you do the real Whole Enchilada, as originally done, you start riding from town.... so 30-odd miles of road climbing. That little paved ride back to town is only tough if you're doing the "fast food enchilada" with a shuttle.

mtbr member
    It's 3 miles. Plus it's beside the river and partially shaded, so cooler than a lot of other places.

Besides, if you do the real Whole Enchilada, as originally done, you start riding from town.... so 30-odd miles of road climbing. That little paved ride back to town is only tough if you're doing the "fast food enchilada" with a shuttle.
    Yeah. You're the man.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I'll plan according to weather. I have already done P.Rim so I know what to expect on the bottom half. And we won't be tied up to shuttles - will have a non-biking driver in the team, that will simplify logistics a lot. I'm not a fun of road biking, so I'll stick to 'fast food WE'.

Another question - I'm also thinking about doing 'Top of the word' trail, it is not really clear if its trailhead is easily reachable by regular car? Could it be better just to bike from Dewey on that safari road?

slow
    Another question - I'm also thinking about doing 'Top of the word' trail, it is not really clear if its trailhead is easily reachable by regular car? Could it be better just to bike from Dewey on that safari road?
    Is there a trail separate from the 4WD road now? The only time I've done it, the ride was on the 4WD safari route road. We parked near Dewey and rode out and back from there.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    I'll plan according to weather. I have already done P.Rim so I know what to expect on the bottom half. And we won't be tied up to shuttles - will have a non-biking driver in the team, that will simplify logistics a lot. I'm not a fun of road biking, so I'll stick to 'fast food WE'.

You can drive out roughly 5 miles in a car and park before it starts getting rough, saves you 10 miles of pedaling but it also warms you up for the climb.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Is there a trail separate from the 4WD road now?
    Nope AFAIK.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    You can drive out roughly 5 miles in a car and park before it starts getting rough, saves you 10 miles of pedaling but it also warms you up for the climb.
    So its pretty much right to the fork to the trail itself? Thanks, will keep it in mind!

mtbr member
    So its pretty much right to the fork to the trail itself? Thanks, will keep it in mind!
    These are the directions I followed a couple of years ago:
    Top of the World Trail

Nice view from the top of the climb.