Cross Post: riding in the Uintas- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Cross Post: riding in the Uintas

For the Utah folks I posted up a review of the Ventana Bastardo 650b bike that has lots of photos of the Uintas and some Park City riding. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=432535

If anyone has any questions post up or get ahold of www.uintabicycles.com about the Uintas riding. We have tons of pics, I think I'll upload a few more to this thread from another Uintas trip last week.

I can't say when it will be but were thinking of putting together a group ride or even an overnighter / car camp, if we have enough interest, for folks who wants to come out and we'll do some exploring and trail ride of the Uintas trails. The link shows some of what it's like terrain-wise.

Cheers,
    Andre

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    A couple more pics...

Typical loose, rocky terrain. :

Some of the scenery/high altitude forests...

Plenty of smooth stuff too...

Cheers,
    Andre

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    can you PM where and what you rode? I bet the scenery is awesome there

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead
    For the Utah folks I posted up a review of the Ventana Bastardo 650b bike that has lots of photos of the Uintas and some Park City riding. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=432535

If anyone has any questions post up or get ahold of www.uintabicycles.com about the Uintas riding. We have tons of pics, I think I'll upload a few more to this thread from another Uintas trip last week.

I can't say when it will be but were thinking of putting together a group ride or even an overnighter / car camp, if we have enough interest, for folks who wants to come out and we'll do some exploring and trail ride of the Uintas trails. The link shows some of what it's like terrain-wise.

Cheers,
    Andre
    Good stuff, I personally love the riding up there, such a nice escape from the crowds and sanitized trails of SLC. Trying to guess on the route you rode but don't think it's anything I've done, I did lots of exploring up there last year using the free Forest Service map but the trail in the pics doesn't look all that familiar. Hope to stop by the shop next weekend, almost every time I went up there last year was a Sunday so they were always closed.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Any information about riding in the Uintas would be great. I'd like to branch out this summer into the area. I assume these are trails accessible from Kamas?
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeboater
    Any information about riding in the Uintas would be great. I'd like to branch out this summer into the area. I assume these are trails accessible from Kamas?
    Definitely give these guys a call or stop by their shop www.uintabicycles.com, like I said I've never been to the shop but talked to them on the phone a few times and they're good guys and definitely knowledgable about the area. I kept missing them on my trips up there last year so just went off the free Forest Service maps. They're a good start but don't indicate which trails have been closed to MTBs so it is kind of hit and miss once you get up there. Definitely worth the trip too, a little extra driving to get there but well worth it if you can make time for it. Everything I've done was accessed through Kamas on either the Mirror Lake Hwy or a little further south toawrds Woodland. Don't expect to see many fellow riders, in the 10 or so days of riding I did up there last year I saw exactly zero other bikers on trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    probably the best place for a uinta intro is to ride in woodland. ride the bench creek tr to camp hollow tr to little south fork tr. this is a classic, longish, uinta style ride. 18m or so, feels like 25m.

we ride pretty much every evening at 6 if people want to be shown a few things. there are literally endless trails out here. most trails are fairly primitive, log overs, rocks, and steep ups and downs are the norm.

lots of water and wildlife though...not many other riders. no cell service.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by uinta
    probably the best place for a uinta intro is to ride in woodland. ride the bench creek tr to camp hollow tr to little south fork tr. this is a classic, longish, uinta style ride. 18m or so, feels like 25m.

we ride pretty much every evening at 6 if people want to be shown a few things. there are literally endless trails out here. most trails are fairly primitive, log overs, rocks, and steep ups and downs are the norm.

lots of water and wildlife though...not many other riders. no cell service.
    the logs, log piles ,and rock sound fun how steep are the climbs?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    there is a ton of different stuff, but generally speaking riding out here can be pretty tough, especially if you arent used to it. most stuff is ridable, but ridable is certainly a perception.

i would generally expect to walk or be off your bike at some point on most any ride out here.

you could also say that it is the opposite in most every way from riding in park city...

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by uinta
    You're telling me! Everytime I do that ride I feel like it shouldn't be any big deal then I end up feeling like I'm about ready to keel over on the road section back to the Bench Creek trailhead. Is the creek coming down Camp Hollow running really high right now? Thought I was going to get washed away when I rode that last year during the spring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Very cool. Those of you guys who sent me a PM thanks a ton and I defer to Todd as the guy to contact... But should have some more pics for you tomorrow We rode Bench Creek to North Fork last year, lots of fun little water crossings (I was on a POS bike, eager to attempt to ride through, nailed almost all of them) and fun fun times...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead
    Very cool. Those of you guys who sent me a PM thanks a ton and I defer to Todd as the guy to contact... But should have some more pics for you tomorrow We rode Bench Creek to North Fork last year, lots of fun little water crossings (I was on a POS bike, eager to attempt to ride through, nailed almost all of them) and fun fun times...
    pretty sure you mean bench creek to little south fork, not north fork.

Fartographer

Down

I'm in. Done some hiking but no riding over there yet. And it would be good to do it with some people who don't mind crashing for the camera
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I'm in. Done some hiking but no riding over there yet. And it would be good to do it with some people who don't mind crashing for the camera
    I am allways down to crash for the camera!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0