Crest, Yesterday- Mtbr.com
    Fartographer

Crest, Yesterday

Thanks for the ride yesterday! It was awesome. I did better on the climb than I expected and the conditions couldn't have been better. The gods smiled upon us. I'm also glad I didn't bring the big camera because the climb was pretty punisher.

If anyone wants to go back and shuttle Crest to Mill D again this afternoon, let me know. I want to hit it again while conditions are still good. I'm thinking maybe 4 PM meet. I want to take the big camera today, which means a slower climb.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Bored Carp
    The ride was great yesterday. I can't believe how perfect everything was.

(Might want to take your bear bell today - there will probably be a lot of hikers)

C
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Nice Pics!

Sat morn I dragged myself out of bed to get an early start. Ran into some heavy traffic on the Big Water/Dog Lake trail (Millcreek 50k - enduro runners with headlamps bobbing in the dark assailed me as I struggled to pedal my gear) as I climbed to the top of Millcreek. I rolled through the meadow at the saddle and descended into the Canyons, the pinkorangeyellowred sunrise pulling my eyes from the trail. It was a rip-roaring good time as I zipped through the aspen and pine, enjoying the dust-free trail surface and the crisp air. Minutes later, I joined Mid-Mountain and buckled down for the long traverse. The rocky sections teased me by displacing my chain several times. Finally, getting grouchy at the repeated stops, I pulled out the wrench and adjusted the tension.

With a properly tensioned chain, a brief rest in the legs, the sun climbing higher and my time running short, I hopped on and kept going. The long, slow climb after the viewpoint switchback did not seem so long and slow this morning. Before I knew it, I had left the pine forest and was weaving my way through aspen again.

I zipped across the clearing and back into the trees, quickening my pace as I neared Thayne's Canyon. It was cool and clear, the trail was fast and tacky and there was no one out here! Just before Thayne's I passed a serious looking group of riders. They looked fast.

Soon I was at the bottom of the Crescent Mine Grade. I turned up and felt my legs revolt a little. But they still felt fairly snappy so I pushed back, continuing up the Apex trail to the Shadow Lake loop. Absolutely beautiful! The cruise through the level section just below the lake was so nice. As I rounded Shadow Lake my legs got worried about the short climb to Scott's Pass. The sun was higher now and temps rising, but notwithstanding my legs brought me happily to the Pass. I obliged them by pushing my bike up Puke Hill.

There was a large gathering at the top of the Hill. I didn't stop to fraternize, but jumped on my bike and kept going knowing that I was going to be late arriving home. As I rode past the radio towers I called my wife to let her know. She said that would be fine . . . and that all three bathrooms would be ready for cleaning when I arrived home. It was a trade I made without hesitation.

The Wasatch Crest felt like I-15 at rush hour. I knew it would be this way. Had thought of doing the loop in reverse, but decided against it. People were courteous, moving aside for the guy with one gear and that was nice. My legs were getting tired, nearing their redline. It worried me a bit as they had severely cramped several weeks ago, leaving me in a tough state. I eased the throttle a bit and remained seated while pedaling. That seemed to placate them enough to get me over the hill with only partial cramping.

The spine was littered with people - some watching, some walking - so I took my chances and wove my way through them before descending past Desolation and into Mill D. What a great descent! It's been years since I've taken the time to do it and I was well rewarded.

At the Dog Lake turn-off, I hopped off again and pushed my bike toward the lake. It was getting steamy. I wondered why the Forest service hasn't rebuilt the trail into a more erosion friendly form. And then I saw the lake, hopped back on and headed for the downhill. The final hill up from Dog Lake just about finished my legs off. I could feel them, getting ready to spasm and cramp and send me into fits of pain. But, I just made it over the hill and then relished the long smooth down of the Dog Lake Trail.

Sorry, seeing the pics got me excited and I had to re-live the ride ;-)

mtbr member
    Great shots John. The second one really captures the essence of the Crest. And thanks for the words to go with them doc (eventhough it was a separate ride).

I need to get up there and do this loop from the SLC/Mill D side. It sounds like a good one. Any idea on mileage? I did the crest from PCMR up spiro, up thaynes, past shadow lake and Scott's Pass to puke hill then north on the crest then back on midmountain a couple of years ago. I think it was around 34 miles. Does that sound about right?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Sounds close. I don't have a bike computer so I'm not positive. The Mill D loop will be shorter than the one you described.

Fartographer

Gnarly!

That's a hell of a ride. And on a single it's just plain retarded! I rode my ss on Mid Mountain o Monday night and had a sweet OTB moment. I've got different shoes and cleats and it was the third bike I'd ridden in a week. On top of that, I hadn't ridden the ss or any hardtail since last fall. Pulled up on a jump, foot came out of pedal, John goes over bars and slams good. Got a chunk out of my left shin and a sore right shoulder. But I think I'll be good tomorrow. The really good news is that the ss felt good. So I think I'm getting acclimated to the altitude. I'm looking forward to riding it again - with tighter pedals

Glad you guys liked the photos. The riding and scenery here is very inspiring for me. I can't get enough.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Mmmmm . . . Wasatch!!!

Yeah. Saddened about my pending departure from the state. Looks like I'll be headed to Medford, OR. I hear there is some riding there, but I can't imagine it rivals what we've got along the Wasatch and in a 3 hour radius. You'll need to keep posting great photos!

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Great shots John. The second one really captures the essence of the Crest. And thanks for the words to go with them doc (eventhough it was a separate ride).

I need to get up there and do this loop from the SLC/Mill D side. It sounds like a good one. Any idea on mileage? I did the crest from PCMR up spiro, up thaynes, past shadow lake and Scott's Pass to puke hill then north on the crest then back on midmountain a couple of years ago. I think it was around 34 miles. Does that sound about right?
    KRob, I ride from the Mill D trailhead to Guardsman and the Crest as a loop after work. I take the pavement now all the way up to Guardsman after a run-in last year with the assclown who has the trailer on Mill F and posted all the Silverfork Mining Company no tresspassing signs. The loop takes 2 hours, if I'm feeling good, and is 16.7 miles according to my computer. It's not too bad, even on the road as there is very little traffic during the week and you usually have a clean shot out Mill D as by the time you reach the Spine it's normally around 7:30pm. People seem to cringe at the thought of riding up the road, but I do it on a Nomad with Minion DH tires and do just fine. Plus, by the time you get to Puke Hill you're body's awake and you're not starting up it cold.

As it gets later in the year and the sun sets earlier, I recommend taking a light and clear lenses if you start after 5:30pm. Once you get past the lake the trail gets next to no direct sunlight and can get dark on you really fast, especially if you flat or taking it easy.

Members who have read this thread: 0