Crest Trail Start- Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Crest Trail Start- Help

Last year when I did the Crest I started by the outhouse half way (ish) to top of guardmans. It was all up hill till to puke hill. I noticed some riders coming down a single track that ended up there at the corner before puke hill, where does this trail start? How do I get to it? Does this trail involve more or less climbing then the what I did last year? thanks for the help! Maps are nice......

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by sessions22
    Last year when I did the Crest I started by the outhouse half way (ish) to top of guardmans. It was all up hill till to puke hill. I noticed some riders coming down a single track that ended up there at the corner before puke hill, where does this trail start? How do I get to it? Does this trail involve more or less climbing then the what I did last year? thanks for the help! Maps are nice......
    They're coming down the 'Wasatch Crest Connector'.
    Keep driving to the top of Guardsmans where the pavement ends and everyone parks. Kind of a makeout spot for hippies. Off to your left you'll see a dirt road with a metal gate. A little past that gate to your left there's an unmarked piece of single track that almost looks like a drainage ditch. Follow that for a ways and you'll come to an intersection with a trail marker. Head left again on the Wasatch Crest Connector. It'll drop you out just below the short climb before Puke Hill. Pretty fun little trail, not a lot of pedaling. Berms. Mini-booters. I could ride that all day long. Beware if you run wide bars. My 30" DH bars came mighty close to clipping my knuckles in a couple spots.

I almost caught my mirrors on a few spots, but came away pretty clean and my lungs dust free. I pedaled this from Sugarhouse up and over the Crest, out Mill D, back up Mill D and out Millcreek. I found the Crest is best ridden in snakeskin. Yep, those are moto-style knee pads under my Wranglers.

Here's mr. welcorn training for tomorrow evening's attempt at the Crest on his ghetto fab Murder Ball-esque recumbant. He added the catherter so he wouldn't have to pause on long rides like this. Looks pretty aero! Love the old school 'toe strap' leg restraints. Should keep your lower body from slipping off the 'bike' while negotiating the Spine. Probably adds a lot of leverage during climbs as well. Not too keen on the Specialized knock-off 26 front 14 rear set up though.

Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 07-15-2009 at 10:50 AM.

Bored Carp
    That's Dr. Welcorn to you.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about taking this bad boy, the handlebars should be narrow enough and I will just mow over anything that gets in the way...... heck maybe I'll just make a few bucks mowing lawns once I get back into the valley.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    Oh right. My bad. Should have realized that as I was at the 'coming out' party at Chateaux D'Bortis.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about taking this bad boy, the handlebars should be narrow enough and I will just mow over anything that gets in the way...... heck maybe I'll just make a few bucks mowing lawns once I get back into the valley.
    Screw mowing lawns, take that beotch up there and mow down some of the weeds on the side of the trail between the lake and Mill D trailhead. Thought I was on some sort of sadomasochistic whipping fest with all the over growth we've gotten this year. Not just on the Crest, but just about every trail right now.

Smart move BTW keeping the front fender on your ride. Should shield you from 1 in 300 pebbles striking your face.

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Here's mr. welcorn training for tomorrow evening's attempt at the Crest on his ghetto fab Murder Ball-esque recumbant. He added the catherter so he wouldn't have to pause on long rides like this. Looks pretty aero! Love the old school 'toe strap' leg restraints. Should keep your lower body from slipping off the 'bike' while negotiating the Spine. Probably adds a lot of leverage during climbs as well. Not too keen on the Specialized knock-off 26 front 14 rear set up though.

I am looking pretty tan in that pic. And thanks for giving away my secrets....jerk!

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    shhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    You could even mow at night and/or in the fog with that huge light on the front!

Members who have read this thread: 0