Crest still OK?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Crest still OK?

Dr. Pepper drinker

New question here. Crest still OK?

Anyone have any guesses if the crest will be okay for a ride tomorrow (Sat.)? I'm planning to go but not sure if the snow from early this week is going to cause a problem.

get up n jump
    I am not sure but my uncle was up on big water on Wednesday. He said that is was a bit muddy but rideable. Snow on the side of the mountains about 8000'. My guess with the nice sunny days we have been having that it should be just fine. I am thinking about go up to dog lake after work today. If I do I will repost with the conditions and hopefully it will give a little bit of an idea on how the crest might be.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    Anyone have any guesses if the crest will be okay for a ride tomorrow (Sat.)? I'm planning to go but not sure if the snow from early this week is going to cause a problem.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
    -Albert Einstein

get up n jump
    I tode up to dog lake tonight and the trail was in excellent condition!! I would guess that the crest would be just fine to ride. Of course the crest is on the other side of the mountain but I would guess it would be just fine. Have fun if you go.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
    -Albert Einstein

Apr 2004

check out

Dr. Pepper drinker

No problems, still in great shape...

Well I did make it to the crest on Saturday and it was great, a couple slightly damp places on trail, only puddling was on the fireroad at the bottom, trail was in excellent shape overall. There were a few small patches of snow up there but nothing on trail and the weather was spectacular. Hopefully a few more good weekends up there before its time to break out the snowboard.

Aug 2003

Maps for the crest

I rode the crest for the first time a couple of weeks ago. In my pocket I had one of the 5th generation xeroxed maps they hand out at the gate. Much to my dismay, I ran into two different forks in the GW trail that were not on the map! Luckily I guessed right and made it to the crest. It would be nice to see those 4 year old maps get re-vamped with new and improved version featuring more details.

Also a sign or two wouldn't have hurt on the GW trail either. Maybe where the trail forks a sign could say "Great Western this way -> ".

Enough gripping though. The trail was great fun with excellent scenery. I will do it many more times in the future.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Its still good but look out for two downed trees between desolation lake and the mill d dog lake intersection. both are rideable but a little heads up is always nice.