Crest "Opening"???- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Crest "Opening"???

Let us know when the "Crest" opens up ... it must be getting fairly close!!!

mtbr member

Muddy Souls.......

They were going way too fast to try and ask them, but there were three fairly muddy souls bombing down Millcreek Canyon Sat. near Elbow Fork. I can only assume they had been up Big Water at the very least. Not ready by the looks of these dudes. We'll be riding in their ruts for months to come. Thanks jerks.
    Scooter

Jan 2004

yeah retards

Quote Originally Posted by SCOOTERINSLC
    They were going way too fast to try and ask them, but there were three fairly muddy souls bombing down Millcreek Canyon Sat. near Elbow Fork. I can only assume they had been up Big Water at the very least. Not ready by the looks of these dudes. We'll be riding in their ruts for months to come. Thanks jerks.
    Scooter
    I saw between Affleck Park and the pass where the trails cross between Killington downhill and Little Mtn ridge trail, somebody went right down a spring trace, and left a huge long channel with their tires .... really gross and just stupid .... water was just racing down the channel ... fools ....

May 2004
    Big Water itself isn't that bad. (rode it last week). There was one short section (200 yards) that was a little damp, but it had good ground cover, and only covered about half the trail. Most of the route was draining off the side nicely. I did come back down rather dirty, but that was mostly due to the water flowing across the road near the BW trailhead. Got pretty sloppy, but I don't think I left any ruts inthe asphalt.

This weather should dry things up very quickly, but I don't plan on attempting Crest just yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ClydesdaleSports
    Big Water itself isn't that bad. (rode it last week). There was one short section (200 yards) that was a little damp, but it had good ground cover, and only covered about half the trail. Most of the route was draining off the side nicely. I did come back down rather dirty, but that was mostly due to the water flowing across the road near the BW trailhead. Got pretty sloppy, but I don't think I left any ruts inthe asphalt.

This weather should dry things up very quickly, but I don't plan on attempting Crest just yet.
    I looked at the trailhead off of the guardsman pass road last week and it still had some big snow chunks all over it. Looks like late june at earliest.
    If you cannot understand that there is something in a man which responds to the challenge of this mountain and goes out to meet it, that the struggle is the struggle of life itself upward and forever upward, then you won't see why we go. What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy. If you have to ask the question, you won't understand the answer.

May 2004
    Crest Update 6/9:

The first half mile or so of the trail head does have some snow chunks, but even there the trail is in OK shape. From the base of Puke Hill to Desolation Lake, there was only one snow chunk, and that was a doozy (covered about 50 feet of the trail). 99% of the trail from the towers to D-Lake is bone dry and in great shape (see picture). There was one section (about 25 feet) that was muddy, but easy enough to walk it and avoid leaving those wonderful ruts.

I was planning on taking Big or Little Water down, but when I got to the heavy tree cover, it still looked pretty wet. Opted for the Mill-D descent instead. What a blast. Also in excellent shape.

If it wasn't for the flat tire and corresponding third degree disk brake burn, it would have been a perfect ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

May 2004
    BTW, before you guys yell at me, I honestly thought it was the tenth today.

Jan 2004

wow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClydesdaleSports
    BTW, before you guys yell at me, I honestly thought it was the tenth today.
    that Desolation lake pic is beautiful w/ the trees and snow all curving the same ... love that ...

I thought it was legal to ride the Crest and Mill D on any day ....??? just upper MC is not???

Right????

May 2004
    Kind of like that tacky white blanket we used to wrap around the base of the Christmas tree. Only pretty.

It's very difficult to convey to total sense of isolation I felt up on that ridge. Just me, the gophers, and one very pissed chipmunk. As far as I know, no other humans for miles in any direction. If you squint your eyes just right, you can even pretend that isn't a city of a million people just down the canyon.

I checked the Forest Service Page (http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/wcnf/unit/sl...e_trails.shtml ) Looks like you are right. I was completely legal today.

Highly recommended loop if you have never tried it.

Luddite technophile

6/13 update

From Guardsman - rideable all the way to the Scott's hill, with a very small snowfield before the hill marked "radio transmitters" on topo maps. Then, a bit of a snowfield on the ridge - easily walked - please walk another 50 ft beyond to save the trail!

After that, the trail was basically dry the whole way to the spine above Desolation with the exception of 20-30 feet of slightly muddy trail.

After climbing the hill from the trail intersection (just beyond the spine) there was one significant snowfield (steep and deep) and several smaller snowpiles. !! Please walk here folks !! Some people had been riding off trail around the snow. Then, a couple snow fields on the descent to intersection at top of Mill Creek - easily walked.

Finally - no snow all the way down to the intersection with Mid. Mt. trail in The Canyons. I didn't go further than that.

Basically, the whole thing is easily doable now, but ought to be done with good judgement to prevent trail erosion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Is the odd/even upper Mill Creek rule even enforced now when the upper part of Mill Creek road is not open yet? I always thought it was open all the time to bikes before the road fully opens on July 1. I mean, there is FAR less traffic in that area this time of year since the closest parking lot is several miles downhill.

Jan 2004

what I heard once

Quote Originally Posted by Freshies
    Is the odd/even upper Mill Creek rule even enforced now when the upper part of Mill Creek road is not open yet? I always thought it was open all the time to bikes before the road fully opens on July 1. I mean, there is FAR less traffic in that area this time of year since the closest parking lot is several miles downhill.
    a forest service, uniformed employee, don't know what his status was, told me that, what you said above .. that they are open all the time, until July 1st

we could call the SLC Ranger District, and find out .....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

you should see it in the fall!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Walt
    that Desolation lake pic is beautiful w/ the trees and snow all curving the same ... love that ...

I thought it was legal to ride the Crest and Mill D on any day ....??? just upper MC is not???

Right????
    Yeah there are no restrictions on the trail until you get to upper millcreek, then you cannot descend into millcreek on odd days.
    If you cannot understand that there is something in a man which responds to the challenge of this mountain and goes out to meet it, that the struggle is the struggle of life itself upward and forever upward, then you won't see why we go. What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy. If you have to ask the question, you won't understand the answer.