The Crest?- Mtbr.com

Thread: The Crest?

Grizzly

The Crest?

Any hope of The Crest trail opening up this year?
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

Whatever, man.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I think only with one of these this year....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Homer's problem child
    The closest web cam I could find does not look encouraging.

http://www.thecanyons.com/lookoutcam.html?summer=yes

B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    We should start a pool. If you can ride all the way through without encountering snow by the beginning of August, I will be pleasantly surprised.

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    That sucks! My new Yeti 575 is just dying to get up there too! looks like it will still be a while....
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    I feel absolutely cheated!! I rode the whole thing with no snow and no mud the first week in june last year..It was amazing

Talentless Hack

yeah but...

last year by July the heat was brutal, even at the top. last Saturday I was able to ride up to the lower parking lot of Big Water. I think its melting out super quick, my bet for the pool is the second weekend of July.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Boy 1
    last year by July the heat was brutal, even at the top. last Saturday I was able to ride up to the lower parking lot of Big Water. I think its melting out super quick, my bet for the pool is the second weekend of July.
    check out the difference from last year to this year from Alta's web site...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Boy 1
    Wow, "all the way through without encountering snow" by mid-July? I hope you're right., but i'll take that bet.

Anyone else?

Grizzly
    Holy cow that image with the 07/08 contrast is amazing. That really shows just how much snow has lingered this year.

Forecast for the next few weeks shows temps in the 90s. If that holds, we may get the snow melted. And then have a lot of mud to deal with!
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    Yeah, last year we didn't have much in the way of snow. There have been years in which you could get to the ridge in late June. I expect that if it heats up to normal temps, mid July this year is not out of the question. The kayaking hasn't been that red-hot yet, either, because it's been so cool. I'm thinking by next week, the rivers will be thumping and the trails will at least start to melt off more quickly. I'm looking up at PCMR now and thinking that Sweeny's might be ridable, though I bet John's is still wet. I rode Pinebrook to the top the other day (bypassing the midmountain cut off) and it was clear to the top. I think that's about 7800 feet. Skid row, I'm told, over into lower Deer Valley is clear as well. Round Valley, Glenwild, Bob's Basin and Flying Dog were in good shape before all the precip we got in the last 2 days, but they ought to be dry again by tomorrow.
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

Bored Carp
    That year to year comparison is amazing.

I rode Spiro/Eagle/CMJ (in great shape right now) on Tuesday, up to the Mid Mountain. There is snow at the CMJ/MM intersection, not a ton, and will probably melt this weekend. That whole drainage is SUPER MUDDY, based on a quick look and some recon reports from friends. Crossing the drainage isn't nice at the moment.

Additionally, a friend attempted MM above PCMR last Sunday - postholing and climbing over trees almost the whole time.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member

Melting

Sweeny's...John's...John's 99...Gravedigger are now good to go.
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

Members who have read this thread: 0