The Crest- Mtbr.com

Thread: The Crest

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

The Crest

Has anyone been up to check on the Crest? How long until we can ride it? I like to ride it before the gate opens, but I don't think it will happen this year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Richrider
    Has anyone been up to check on the Crest? How long until we can ride it? I like to ride it before the gate opens, but I don't think it will happen this year.
    It's going to be a while - there's still a good bit of snow.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by maniloff
    It's going to be a while - there's still a good bit of snow.
    Damn, I was hoping it would be good soon but had some serious doubts. It was a great winter but I'm itching for some high alt rides now! Anyone hear if the Millcreek gate will be open July 1st? Didn't know if they delay that due to a big snow year or not.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

get up n jump
    I am not sure but it would not suprise me. The road is snow free all the way up. We rode about 100' of Dog Lake before we hit snow on the trail. This was last Wednesday. With this nasty heat that we are having I would think that it would be good to go by July 1. I might ride up there tomorrow just to check it out. If I do I will let you know the trail conditions and ask the pay booth person if they will open the gate on time.

By the way nice shots of Fruita.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
    -Albert Einstein

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by upendoed
    I am not sure but it would not suprise me. The road is snow free all the way up. We rode about 100' of Dog Lake before we hit snow on the trail. This was last Wednesday. With this nasty heat that we are having I would think that it would be good to go by July 1. I might ride up there tomorrow just to check it out. If I do I will let you know the trail conditions and ask the pay booth person if they will open the gate on time.

By the way nice shots of Fruita.
    Thanks, I'll do the same if I make it up there for a hike with the dog or a Pipeline cruise. For whatever reason I haven't been able to get very motivated to ride here thus far this year without the higher stuff, the parts of BST I've ridden never did much for me. Basically all of my trail riding has been on two trips to Fruita. Mostly have just been riding the streets to keep my legs in decent shape which judging from the Fruita trip hasn't worked very well. Like you said, the temps should be doing their part and it sounds like we might see some rain the next few days so July 1st might not be that big of a stretch.

get up n jump
    I was up Millcreek yesterday. We rode to the Dog Lake Trail. It looks like the trails will be ready by July 1st. We only rode about 1/2 mile up Dog Lake before it started to rain. I could not see any snow. The pay station was closed when we went by so I could not ask if the gate would be opened on time. Maybe next time.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
    -Albert Einstein

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by upendoed
    I was up Millcreek yesterday. We rode to the Dog Lake Trail. It looks like the trails will be ready by July 1st. We only rode about 1/2 mile up Dog Lake before it started to rain. I could not see any snow. The pay station was closed when we went by so I could not ask if the gate would be opened on time. Maybe next time.
    Cool, thanks for the update, sorry to hear rain cancelled the ride but I guess it will help with any snow left up there!

mtbr member
    May 2005

Dog Lake trail is clear

2 miles up. I rode it last Sunday, the 26th and didn't run into snow. There are a couple of large fallen trees blocking the trail at 2 miles from upper big water, which is where I turned around.

A couple of weeks ago I rode up Mill D North and ran into lots of snow 1.5 miles up. Worse, the trail was so eroded over the last quarter mile that I had to ride on the shoulder. The rut up the middle was 10 inches deep. Very dissapointing. Once the crest is dry I'll ride from the top and with luck the erosion doesn't extend much further up.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchit
    2 miles up. I rode it last Sunday, the 26th and didn't run into snow. There are a couple of large fallen trees blocking the trail at 2 miles from upper big water, which is where I turned around.

A couple of weeks ago I rode up Mill D North and ran into lots of snow 1.5 miles up. Worse, the trail was so eroded over the last quarter mile that I had to ride on the shoulder. The rut up the middle was 10 inches deep. Very dissapointing. Once the crest is dry I'll ride from the top and with luck the erosion doesn't extend much further up.

Thanks for the report, good to hear you can make it that far up, I guess that's a pretty good sign for us. Only 2 days til the gate opens if all is still on schedule. All the rain up there in the last week has had to have been helping with the snowmelt. The erosion on the other hand might have gotten worse. Guessing that might be a pretty big issue this year with such a wet year after 6-7 dry ones.

Any trailwork scheduled for those areas or does the Forest Service insist on doing it all alone? I rarely if ever hit the local shops so I'm a little out of the loop on that kind of stuff but would like to help if anything is planned.

Dr. Pepper drinker

from utahmountainbiking.com

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/UM...pic.php?t=1257

some good info on the trail conditions in this thread, sounds like lots of deadfall and the erosion as was mentioned here.

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/UM...pic.php?t=1257

some good info on the trail conditions in this thread, sounds like lots of deadfall and the erosion as was mentioned here.
    I rode Dog Lake Sunday the 26th. The lower parts is fine and good to go. About half way up the dead fall starts. I think there were about 6-7 sections I had to carry my bike around or over, one was about 30 yards. It looked as though on the lower section someone had cleared a bunch of deadfall, but then they didn't get past the half way point.

On the plus side I was the only person on the trail at the time (about 4:00), I got to blast down it at full speed and not have to stop for people climbing up ar hiking, I had the entire trail to myself because the gate was closed and people must not ride up there on the road. Fun trail, short but sweet. Too bad it gets slammed with people once the gate is open and is never really rideable at full speed. Oh well, i got my private day on it. I can't wait until the Crest is rideable.

B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....