mtbr member
    Mar 2018

couple of days in Park City, mid October... advice needed!

So I can't do anything about the dates, and will be too late for any of the lift-accessed fun times, but I'll still have two or three days to get some riding in. Keen for big descents, willing to slog up hills if need be.

will need to hire a bike, usually ride a giant reign or an evil wreckoning, so obviously hope to hire something in that zone.

I'll be staying in a hotel in Park City, but won't have a vehicle, so looking for suggestions on where to go and how to get there!

If you only had 2 or 3 days to ride in Park City, where would you go? What's the best riding out there?

thanks all.

Andy

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    There's a million threads about where to ride in PC but mid-Oct is gonna be weather-dependent. I've been there in a snowstorm in mid-Oct. It could also be beautiful. Look for any of the threads about where to ride in PC/DV and if the weather is bad or cold just stay lower...
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Yeah, could be great fall conditions or you could get skunked depending on whether an early storm comes in. October was not kind last year for higher elevation riding, but there have also been several years where it has been great too so keep your fingers crossed. Even if the higher elevation PC trails are snowy/muddy there will be something to ride (as long as we aren't getting significant weather during your trip), either lower elevation stuff in PC (Flying dog, Glenwild, Round Valley) or in the Salt Lake valley (Corner Canyon has some worthy trails).

Be sure to bump this thread a week or so before your trip comes up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    thanks, appreciate it! basically a bad day riding in another part of the world (i'm from New Zealand) is still a pretty damn good day!

Moderator Moderator
    Do a search on where to ride, it's been covered 1000 times.

The bus system is free and will get you anywhere in the whole basin, but the bike path system is great too so you don't really need the bus unless you're just totally gassed after a ride (or it's dark and you didn't bring lights).

With some isolated exceptions, a bike the the Reign or Wreckoning is massive overkill in PC. This is the land of smooth XC. Rental places will be preparing to switch over to ski mode by October so I'd call around (Jan's, Storm Cycles are my two recommendations but there are a zillion places) and make sure bikes will be available then.

-Walt

mtbr member
    You'll be able to ride right from your hotel to Park City and Deer Valley trails. Make sure you download the Trailforks app and then get a map from the shop. I usually take a least one day but taking the paved town trail all the way out to the Flying Dog loop to get some variety. Assuming you have decent weather, your options will be endless.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

Moderator Moderator
    To clarify: the trails that are Wreckoning-worthy are upper DV (bike park, lifts won't be spinning but you can ride up) and a few isolated spots high up at PCMR. I guess you could count the bike park at Trailside too.

Those are all great things to ride but they're not the best stuff in PC. They're also the most likely to be unrideable due to weather/moisture by then. Get a shorter travel XC bike and go ride Flying Dog, Round Valley, lower DV and PCMR trails, UOP, etc.

I mean, a big bike will still be fun. But you should expect to be doing a lot of pedaling and a lot of smooth/flowy descending. People here often (gasp!) still ride hardtails.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Hah, I'm heading to SLC for work the week of the 22nd in October and was just looking into the possibility of bringing my bike. Looks like it might be playing a bit of roulette.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mitechie View Post
    Hah, I'm heading to SLC for work the week of the 22nd in October and was just looking into the possibility of bringing my bike. Looks like it might be playing a bit of roulette.
    Barring active weather the days you're in SLC, you should definitely be able to get some riding in somewhere. Typically, we're riding well into November, even December in the valley. It's the higher elevation riding that is more of question mark. Bring your bike!

Along with lower elevation riding in PC, there are several options in the valley. The best riding around the valley IMO is Corner Canyon which is quality, but there is also some good riding that you can do from downtown (BST-Bobsled), further south in Alpine (Lambert Park), and even some fun trails in Eagle Mountain that are nearly impervious to the rain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    thanks Walt, thanks K2rider1964. I'm also at home on my hardtail when the terrain calls for it, so i'll just switch modes! thanks for the info, i'll take the advice above for trails. I'm also really keen to soak in the surrounds and just stare into the distance from the top of hills, so I'm totally fixated on smashing downhills, they're just really good fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but since it looks like the OP had his questions answered I'm wondering if the locals could provide some intel about the possibilities of riding in early Nov. since Padiz said there is riding in the Valley in Nov./Dec. I'll be in SLC the first week of Nov. for 4 days and really hoping to get some riding in. Realistic to rent a bike and get in some xc?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drich View Post
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but since it looks like the OP had his questions answered I'm wondering if the locals could provide some intel about the possibilities of riding in early Nov. since Padiz said there is riding in the Valley in Nov./Dec. I'll be in SLC the first week of Nov. for 4 days and really hoping to get some riding in. Realistic to rent a bike and get in some xc?
    You could probably get some riding in in SLC, but it's unlikely Park City would be rideable. At least I hope not, because I've got season passes already, but, you never know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks, MSU. I figured that Park City would be open for skiing (hope so), but wasn't sure if other areas of SLC were normally rideable in winter.

Moderator Moderator
    Given our recent winters, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we were riding the lower 50% of the trails here in PC in the first week of November. It'll probably (again) be a struggle to get the hill open by Thanksgiving.

I say you bring your bike, Drich, and then if it dumps a ton and ruins your riding plans, I will personally buy you all the beer you can drink in exchange for taking one for the team.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by drich View Post
    Thanks, MSU. I figured that Park City would be open for skiing (hope so), but wasn't sure if other areas of SLC were normally rideable in winter.
    November in PC is shoulder season... not enough snow to ski, but just enough to shut the trails down. The valley is a different story. It'll obviously be dependent on the weather we are getting before your arrival, but first week of November should be pretty solid for some riding opportunities. Corner Canyon is the best riding in the valley and most definitely worth the price of a bike rental. BST- Bobsled is the downtown lunch loop and is pretty fun... definitely not a destination in and of itself, but if you're Jonesing to get some pedaling and you're staying anywhere near downtown it's a decent option. Another notable area is Eagle Mountain (about 50 minutes from SLC). Fun area to ride, and most importantly, the trails there can take on a lot of rain before they become unridable. Be sure to check in again just prior to your arrival and we can give you the low down based on actual conditions...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Much appreciated Walt and Padiz! Not sure if I should be wishing for tons of snow + free beer or dry trails! Either way, I'll check in again as we get closer and I'm happy to buy lunch/beer if either one of you is around and available to play tour guide for a ride.

Moderator Moderator
    I'll be around, and I live at the north end of the basin where most of the still-dry trails will be (if there are any). Drop me an email or shoot me a text when you're here.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Will do, Walt--thanks! I was dreading going to this work-related conference but now I'm excited about the possibility of riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    You too? obviously not the same work-related conference, but same situation! I'll be sure to give you a heads up on any goodness I find in Oct, and hopefully the weather holds for you a week or two later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks, remotelocal. Enjoy the riding and endure the conference!