cool shops in SLC?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

cool shops in SLC?

I am here in SLC for 2 days for work and was wondering if there are any particular MTB shops that would be worth checking out? I have a bit of time to kill tonight.

Nothing specific...XC style bikes, gear, whatever

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    go-ride

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn
    go-ride
    go-ride is cool but I wouldn't go near it for xc stuff.

mtbr member
    In the ogden area are Skyline Cycle ( talk to Matt) in Ogden, The bike Shoppe in south ogden and bikers edge in kaysville. worth the 30 min drive north. good luck

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you just want to see lots of nice bikes go to Contender. If you want to buy something for less then 110% of MSRP then go somewhere else. I don't think any shop in SLC has more high end bikes on hand then Contender.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I like Guthries on 2100 South. Nice folks and nice bikes. Go-Ride is cool, but very DH oriented. Also, I think sometimes they are too cool to talk to people. My brother hates going to Go-Ride, he thinks their customer service sucks.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Nofriender, Nofriender, send slcrockymountainrider right over...

Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    If you just want to see lots of nice bikes go to Contender. If you want to buy something for less then 110% of MSRP then go somewhere else. I don't think any shop in SLC has more high end bikes on hand then Contender.
    I get the impression each time I go into Contender that they hate mountainbikes. I think it has something to do with keeping that expensive hardwood floor of theirs clean.

We are a bunch of criminals. I mean if I owned a shop I'd put all four mountainbikes on the far end of the checkout counter, back in a well lit corner with a security camera so I could keep a close eye on them, leaving a handful of $8000 road bikes safe, standing inbetween both front doors.

And don't look at MSRP as a monetary figure, think of it more as an experience.

Picture Unrelated
    White Pine Touring up in Park City is nice, plus you're in Park City so there's plenty to see and do.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Apr 2007
    Cyclesmith near Univ. of Utah. Bountiful bicycle center in Bountiful.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeJay
    I like Guthries on 2100 South. Nice folks and nice bikes. Go-Ride is cool, but very DH oriented. Also, I think sometimes they are too cool to talk to people. My brother hates going to Go-Ride, he thinks their customer service sucks.
    I've never seen that but I also don't get into a bike shop to have their employees whisper sweet nothings into my ear, I go there to get my bike fixed. They are pretty good at fixing bikes.

biking is fun
    Laketown bikes if your in the south end of the valley (west jordan). Great guys who go out of their way to help people out. Doesn't matter if you roll in on a $100 k-mart bike from 20 years ago or a $6000 road bike.

Go-ride is great if you want to look at some DH stuff. They do have some XC stuff but not a lot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn
    I've never seen that but I also don't get into a bike shop to have their employees whisper sweet nothings into my ear, I go there to get my bike fixed. They are pretty good at fixing bikes.
    Awesome. Glad you had good experiences there. There is a world of difference between good customer service and whispering sweet nothings. But you know that.

mtbr member
    CJ,

Sorry your brother had a bad experience at my shop. I make sure my staff asks every customer that walks in the door if they need any help or have any questions. Not sure exactly what happened, but everyone at the shop loves to talk about bikes and will gladly answer most any question. It certainly is possible he caught someone on a bad day, we were unusually busy that day, or just misunderstood his needs as a customer. I hope he can give us another chance in the future.

I know we have a reputation for being DH/FR oriented, but I think that is because we are the only shop that really supports that area of cycling in the Salt Lake valley. However, in addition to having lots of DH equipment, three quarters of the bikes on the floor are trail to all mountain bikes. We are the only shop in the area that is totally dedicated to mountain biking. We are also one of the few shops that stocks lots of parts, services all types of suspension, and is very quick at placing special orders for parts we do not have in stock.

Hope to see you around the shop sometime,

Scott
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    I have to say Go-Ride has built two sets of wheels for me and they have been great. No problems here. They have answered all of my questions when I have them. It is really nice to have them locally for my Hadley hub needs!!! They stock freehub lube for them!!!
    MCM #0007

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Well, I've definitely had my run-in with the folks at Go-Ride...I mean, I won't even go into the incident when they wouldn't warranty a tube I bought from another shop.

But since most of us are victims of A.D.D. and are only able to focus on the straight and narrow when it comes to much of anything, let me put things into perspective. And I must preface this by claiming that I am just as much as guilty as the next guy when it comes to this.
    But here I am, trying to be a better person.

1. There are few shops in the valley who not only support an actual mtb race team, whether it be XC, DH or whatever and even fewer who support a national team and put up a ton of $$$ and time into a local race series. And by that, I mean the owner actually picking up a shovel and cutting trail to make the race (which the promotor directly profits from, not the shop) a better race. Translated: What I'm saying here is you get what you pay for. What you pay for your bike can either all go into the owner's pocket OR some can go into the owner's pocket and a bit can be used to develop up and coming talent.

2. There are even fewer shops who have been title sponsors on a number or films about our sport that are directly responsible for providing inspiration to a lot of the guys (Cam McCaul for example) to whom some try and mimick today. And who sponsor a pretty kickass website (no, not this POS. I'll give you a hint: it is formerly known as Littermag.)

3. There are even fewer than that number of shops where two of the employees provided the stoke in those films that now drive some of the top professionals in our sport.

4. There are even fewer number of shops who don't cycle through a litany of High School graduates as their main source of customer service and who have the history and knowledge of the sport dating back a couple of decades.

I like a lot of shops around the valley for any number of reasons, even browsing the crap at REI can be entertaining. But it's rare to find one shop that can tell you why a particular suspension design is going to work differently than another, and then have a wall and floor full of highend bikes to show you. Other than just telling the customer that this is the new whatever which is different than last year's model, but how it differentiates between a brand we don't sell, well then we just can't answer that for you because the whatever Rep didn't go over it in his five minute sales pitch to the staff.

Late Addendum:

5. Then there is that one shop, with the one owner brave (or dumb) enough to respond to people's questions and complaints on this POS Utah Forum. Opening himself up to a litany of written abuse from people hidning behind a stupid username.

Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 03-25-2011 at 11:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Sounds like a lot of you a-holes need to get your bikes down to Moab where the shops know how to service a bike for extreme conditions and high performance conditions. 99% of mountain bikes are rather technical creatures mechanically and you have to have someone that is an expert mechanic to dial it in.

I know a lot of people from Salt Lake that get all of their bikes repairs/builds/tune-ups done in Moab because they know the mechanics are real pros. It is a real game of roulette to get a bike properly tuned/repaired in SLC. HIghschool kids do not know shiz nor does the average college kid.

Get someone that has been mechanicing for 20+ years. They are all in Moab bros.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I would have to agree with Punta for the most part. I had been bouncing around to different shops around the valley trying to find a shop that actually knew what they were talking about and got the job done correctly, now I own tools and do most all of the work myself due to the unsatisfactory experiences. I was recently in moab and what little time I did spend in the shops I was impressed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Another thumbs up for Go-Ride. Needed some help today with an easy and quick repair that takes a specialized and expensive tool. Went to one shop close to my house that starts with an M, they offered to have my 5 minute fix done by next Friday. Wouldn't let me borrow the tool to do it myself in the shop even if I paid.
    Went to Go-Ride, it was up on the stand instantly and done in 5 mins. Paid $5 though I would have paid more for the good customer service.

Guess which shop will be getting my future business.

mtbr member

Only in Moab?

I wouldn't drink to much of the "Moab is the best" kool-aid. There are good shops in other towns also. i.e. another little snapshop of Go-Ride service:

Last Summer I took a nice little high-speed endo in Mill-D one evening and I was leaving for a bike trip the next morning. Short version - broken brake lever and a couple of other minor parts. I called Go-Ride on the way down the canyon, after closing time and they actually picked up the phone. They told me the doors were locked so just come to the shop door. Hooked me up with the parts I needed and even looked over the bike to see if there was anything I had missed...I had.

Anyway, I shop at different places but they get the first shot. Also it's got to be pretty obvious to them that I'm no pro or wealthy expert, and I've never gotten any "too cool for your dumb questions" attitude from them. They just dumb the tech talk down for me and are happy for my business if I'm buying a $4K bike or square of frame tape.

BTW the pics of the Intense M9 they built on the Downhill forum make me want to sell my truck.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Punta Lobos
    Sounds like a lot of you a-holes need to get your bikes down to Moab where the shops know how to service a bike for extreme conditions and high performance conditions. 99% of mountain bikes are rather technical creatures mechanically and you have to have someone that is an expert mechanic to dial it in.

I know a lot of people from Salt Lake that get all of their bikes repairs/builds/tune-ups done in Moab because they know the mechanics are real pros. It is a real game of roulette to get a bike properly tuned/repaired in SLC. HIghschool kids do not know shiz nor does the average college kid.

Get someone that has been mechanicing for 20+ years. They are all in Moab bros.
    True. I find myself driving to Moab almost weekly for those quick, $15 rear derailleur adjustments and grip softening (I have really sensitive hands). No way would I trust any shop up here for that procedure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I guess I opened more of a can of worms than I thought I would (shame on me, this is the internet I should have known better). I have to give Scott some big props for being so tuned in to his customer base to come on here, and as SLCrockymountainrider said opening himself up to shots.

I re-read my original post and it was more condemning than it sounded in my head when I took the 30 seconds to type it out and post it. I have had really good experiences with Go-Ride. Collectively, they have probably forgotten more about bikes than many shops will ever know. The shop has more bikes worth drooling over than I can handle looking at when I have gone in there. They are usually very helpful.

Scott is probably right, maybe my brother just caught someone on bad days. I needed to be more discreet and thoughtful in my original post. I wasn't looking to grind an ax, they are good guys at Go-Ride, I just typed the first thing that came to mind.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I guess I opened more of a can of worms than I thought I would (shame on me, this is the internet I should have known better). I have to give Scott some big props for being so tuned in to his customer base to come on here, and as SLCrockymountainrider said opening himself up to shots.

I re-read my original post and it was more condemning than it sounded in my head when I took the 30 seconds to type it out and post it. I have had really good experiences with Go-Ride. Collectively, they have probably forgotten more about bikes than many shops will ever know. The shop has more bikes worth drooling over than I can handle looking at when I have gone in there. They are usually very helpful.

Scott is probably right, maybe my brother just caught someone on bad days. I needed to be more discreet and thoughtful in my original post. I wasn't looking to grind an ax, they are good guys at Go-Ride, I just typed the first thing that came to mind.
    I don't think anyone here really takes any offense to much of anything so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Dude, you ride an Intense bike? Your credibility is a zero. That rear suspension bolt pop out on you yet?

mtbr member
    Dude, you ride an Intense bike? Your credibility is a zero. That rear suspension bolt pop out on you yet?
    No Punta I don't ride ride an Intense. I stopped in Temecula once for a gas and a frosty cone and the damn thing melted all over my hand between the convenience store door and my truck cuz it was like 115 degrees outside. So I said, F*** those guys, but quietly cuz they scare me a little. But don't worry my interweb credibility is still waaay less than zero. Which is a shame because if there is one thing that forums are known for its credible and concrete reliable info. I still say it's a cool lookiing ride though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I like that bit about the ice cream. When I lived in SLC I once threatened to throw my bike through a bike shop window since the shop failed to make a simple repair after bringing the bike in five times. The dude at the shop said for the price of the window you could buy a new bike. I responded that although that may be true, throwing the bike through the window would make me feel better. The problem with the shop was it was crap mechanics and highschool kooks holding the wrenches. All too common in SLC shops.

Homer's problem child
    I like that bit about the ice cream. When I lived in SLC I once threatened to throw my bike through a bike shop window since the shop failed to make a simple repair after bringing the bike in five times. The dude at the shop said for the price of the window you could buy a new bike. I responded that although that may be true, throwing the bike through the window would make me feel better. The problem with the shop was it was crap mechanics and highschool kooks holding the wrenches. All too common in SLC shops.
    Why would you take your bike into a shop in SLC 5 times for a "simple repair"?

You could have driven it to Moab after the second failure to be repaired by your Brosephs down there.

Failure to complete a simple repair yourself is the sad story to me, complaining that a shop couldn't get it right in 5 tries means it wasn't simple or your an idiot for going back. You know the old saying "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me 5 times I guess I better go see what the business end of a loaded 12-gauge shotgun tastes like while pulling the trigger until it goes click"

BY
    Last edited by Bortis Yelltzen; 03-30-2011 at 07:01 AM.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    Why would you take your bike into a shop in SLC 5 times for a "simple repair"?

You could have driven it to Moab after the second failure to be repaired by your Brosephs down there.

BY
    Exactly! I want to know why did you bother taking it to an SLC bike shop in the first place? I drive to Moab to get all my flat tires fixed and my chain lubed before every ride. When will people learn that you need to go to directly to Moab for everything? So superior!
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Funny, about the bolt popping out, not the credibility. No joke, I had an upper linkage bolt ($40) retail fall off my Tracer VP in the back of my pickup during a Humdinger shuttle a couple years back.
    Gotta Locktite those beotches on the Intense.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Only go to Go-Ride if you have money falling out of your ass crack and need to get rid of it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Go-Ride hands down the best shop in the valley. Joss, Krispy, Von, Scott are always helpful and know what they are doing, I would take any kind of repair to them with confidence that they can not only fix it but will make it better than is was. Every time I go in there their service has been great. They are always willing to share detailed info on trails as well as info on products and services. Go-ride is not close to where I live, I have to pass a lot of other shops to get there, one shop is 5min. from my house, I won't say the name but it rymes with Canyon Bicycles, is the absolute worst shop in the valley, how they are still in business is beyond me, the owner needs a serious lesson in customer service, oh unless you wear lycra and your bike weighs less than 12lbs and has very skinny tires. Any way Go-Ride.

mtbr member
    I have to say that the only credibility that is getting closer to 0 is Moab's credibility. Thanks to the Bastards of Land Management and a bunch of other horses asses, I have a hard time getting down there too many times in a year these days.

I used to be a river guide and spent the good portions of many summers climbing, biking, hiking, jeeping, and floating the daily section. I almost can't stand the place anymore. The scenery is still just as pretty and Porcupine is even more fun to ride with better bikes these days; but, honestly... the BLM needs to put the M back into their title and stop resorting to total take over and closure of our land. Could they even pretend that balance is an option over extremism? Even as someone who has been trained and has instructed others in Leave no Trace programs, I can't camp within 25 miles of Moab unless I'm in a BLM pay site... really?

But I'm sure the shops there are great.

I've had both experiences with Go-Ride. In the end, the shop is still one of only two places I'll consider in SLC. Crispy and Von are great. As for visits, the shop has a great selection of bikes and parts to check out.

And like CJ, I may be typing more than thinking... maybe.
    Last edited by roguebuilder; 04-01-2011 at 11:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruda911
    Only go to Go-Ride if you have money falling out of your ass crack and need to get rid of it.
    Is that a legitimate medical condition? I hope you don't mean that our prices are inflated in some way. The truth is most everything in our shop is priced very competitively even when compared to other online shops.

It is true that we have a lot of nice mountain bikes displayed on our sales floor, and we stock even more high quality components and accessories. However, our pricing is very competitive. We do a lot of online business and that requires our pricing to be better than most any other local option. In addition there are a lot of items on the sales floor at better prices than on our website due to some manufacture's online msrp advertising policies. I've also been told by customers that our services rates are as good or better than other shops they have visited. Take a look at the front page of our website and you will see a lot of very good deals. Or, better yet come by the shop, get to know the staff, and enjoy checking out the eye-candy even if you are just looking.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    We can thank all of you idiots that voted for Obama, which has resulted in the BLM and Forest Service shutting down the place and harassing people camping. The Federal Government has a free pass right now on public lands to shut it down and arrest everyone in sight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thats the way it blows when I lived in SLC. Like I said it is hard to find a good mechanic and a consistent shop. Sounds like Go-Ride does pretty well. No shop is perfect, but the bad shops are numerous. You dudes that are getting agro about the shop issue are just bitter because you guys know you are getting screwed and that your shock has not been working properly and that there is hardly a soul in SLC that knows how to service it.

Homer's problem child
    Thats the way it blows when I lived in SLC. Like I said it is hard to find a good mechanic and a consistent shop. Sounds like Go-Ride does pretty well. No shop is perfect, but the bad shops are numerous. You dudes that are getting agro about the shop issue are just bitter because you guys know you are getting screwed and that your shock has not been working properly and that there is hardly a soul in SLC that knows how to service it.
    In Moab now, my shocks werk gooderz, I even werkz on em all by miselvz.

Like I said punta, until it goez click. Reload and keep pulling... If you keep missing try sitting on it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Is that a legitimate medical condition? I hope you don't mean that our prices are inflated in some way. The truth is most everything in our shop is priced very competitively even when compared to other online shops.

It is true that we have a lot of nice mountain bikes displayed on our sales floor, and we stock even more high quality components and accessories. However, our pricing is very competitive. We do a lot of online business and that requires our pricing to be better than most any other local option. In addition there are a lot of items on the sales floor at better prices than on our website due to some manufacture's online msrp advertising policies. I've also been told by customers that our services rates are as good or better than other shops they have visited. Take a look at the front page of our website and you will see a lot of very good deals. Or, better yet come by the shop, get to know the staff, and enjoy checking out the eye-candy even if you are just looking.
    I had to go check out your store after reading this forum and I have to agree that your prices were as good as anybody elses for the same product. I was looking at an Anthem X 29er and it is priced a couple hundred dollars cheaper than another store in the valley. I had your most inexperienced employee help me and he still was more informed than probably 90% of the other shops I've talked to in the last month. I don't know if that is the bike for me but I will be back when it is time for repairs or misc. parts.

Members who have read this thread: 0