Congestion at Arches- Mtbr.com
    Perpetual n00b

Congestion at Arches

http://m.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile3/5...ional.html.csp

I'd say this is a problem state-wide, not just Arches.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    I remember when the road to the trailhead was a dusty, bumpy track with a deep wash where many people would get stuck. At the trailhead there was a stinky pota-potti. You had to cross the creek at the bottom on a sketchy rope bridge. There were no footholds cut into the rock on the hike up. At the end you had to scramble to get into the bowl.

So what did the Park Service do?

The paved the road, put in nice toilets, put in a permanent bridge, cut footholds in the rock.

What they hell did they think was going to happen when they did that? If they put an elevator on Fisher Tower, guess what would happen? If they put a chairlift up to the top of Moab Rim, guess what wo...oh never mind.

I think Edward Abbey predicted this in 1958, didn't he? At the time, it was Arches National Monument - Arches Natural Money-mint is what he called it. When he worked there, less than 50,000 people per YEAR visited Arches, now they get 50,000 in ONE WEEK sometimes. There simply is only one solution, and it sucks, but at some point you will need reservations just to get into the popular National Parks.

Perpetual n00b
    I saw one comment on that article stating that reservations and increasing the fees would basically turn it into a playground for the affluent. The irony is that is already the case. Poor people can't afford trips to National Parks. Most of those cars in the parking lot and along the road belong to affluent out-of-staters.

Another few comments offered some solutions such as shuttle service and increasing parking lot space. My opinion is that this will just turn Arches into another Zion, which I have no desire to ever visit again. I can't remember any of the natural features of the park. All I remember is a line of cars as far as the eye can see and people piling in and out of buses everywhere.

I guess my stance on it is if you want to see natural wonders, you have to complete an epic journey to get there. By today's standards that could be as simple as a 5 mile hike. That would cut the crowds in half almost immediately I would think.

Perpetual n00b

mtbr member
    Yep, the good and bad of the National Park system.

I personally like what they have done w/ Zion NP with the shuttles and restricting personal vehicles. I think that the experience is better now than it was sitting in a traffic jam going up and down the canyon years ago. The traffic is one reason I've been hesitant to take my family to Yellowstone -- most of what I remember from my last couple visits there as a teen were sitting in the family car for an hour in traffic, getting out and looking at something for 20 minutes, and sitting in the car for hour as we were herded to the next stop.

That said, I don't feel like we've had terrible traffic experiences in Arches, and we go there once a year on average -- certainly not enough to make us not want to go back. Plenty of people, sure, but not as bad as some other parks (yet).
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    I saw one comment on that article stating that reservations and increasing the fees would basically turn it into a playground for the affluent. The irony is that is already the case. Poor people can't afford trips to National Parks. Most of those cars in the parking lot and along the road belong to affluent out-of-staters.

You must not know any dirtbag climber types in crapped out VW vans, ha! (a dying breed) I don't disagree that in most instances it is typically middle class or higher income people visiting the parks, but it can be done on the cheap, especially when you are young and debt free.

Perpetual n00b

Re: Congestion at Arches

Quote Originally Posted by BumpityBump View Post
    You must not know any dirtbag climber types in crapped out VW vans, ha! (a dying breed) I don't disagree that in most instances it is typically middle class or higher income people visiting the parks, but it can be done on the cheap, especially when you are young and debt free.
    I have seen a handful of them from here to Oregon and northern California. They are a small and dying breed.

On the other hand, they strike me as the type to park far away and hike in to avoid the fees.