Conference in Salt Lake City-recommendations- Mtbr.com

Sep 2004

Conference in Salt Lake City-recommendations

Woo hooo.....conference coming up in June so i will be spending some time browsing the trail reviews. I've heard alot about Moab of course but I don't know if I can make the 4 hour trip (according to mapquest) to ride it.

Any recommendations for awesome riding closer to Salt Lake?
    Would it be worth taking a bus to Moab?
    Also I won't be bringing a bike so I'll need a rental, any suggestions?

Looking forward to seeing your part of the world.....

and thanks in advance for any recommendations!

mtbr member
    Option 1: make the trip to Moab by rent-a-car-- $45. By bus would suck. You can ride a ton of trails they have there. For the trip to be worth your time you should plan for at least an over nighter otherwise you will be just turning right around to get back to SLC. You could leave in the day and ride that evening. Rent your bike-- $35-60. Go hit up some of the local shops, check out some of the local scene, food, rest...-- $75. Next morning ride another trail and travel home-- $20. Cost around $175-200.

Option 2: Stay in SLC and ride some of the local trails. You could rent from any number of places-- $35-50. There are plenty of lift accessed trails in the area. Park City is just right there. And there are also lots of other just ride'em from your front door trails. This would save you lots of time and money if you want to just ride. If your looking to rent highend bikes look at Go-ride.com. They rent only really good bikes... but you may have to reserve now because they don't have many. Also they have a deal where if you rent it for two days and are interested in buying a bike they will take that money you spent in the rental and apply it to your new bike.

Personally if you have a time commitment and find it hard to justify a 8hr round trip then don't do it. Moab is a MTN biking mecca and should be treated with reverence. Don't just go there on a whim. It takes careful planning to make the trip worth while... even for the locals. Plan the experience.
    Bikeless Rider

mtbr member
    The Wasatch Crest is a must do. Plan for the right day (odd or even I can't remember) and ride from Gaurdsman pass to Millcreek.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If I only had 2 days in SLC, and I couldn't go to Moab or St. George, I'd probably ride the Wasatch Crest one day (described above) and then spend another exploring the trails near Park City. If you want to venture outside of SLC a little bit, you could do some of the trails above snow basin (up Ogden Canyon, about 1 hour north of SLC). For other options, check out www.utahmountainbiking.com. Unfortunately, I am of little help when it comes to renting, although I hear that Fisher Cyclery rents.

Luddite technophile
    It's going to make a big difference whether you're coming at the beginning of June or the end of June. In early June, I'd be surprised if the Crest is very rideable. However, there are still some great mountain trails available at that time - on the edge of the city or 30-40' away.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Conference in SLC

Boy, with a title like that, people might think of a different conference.

Anyway, ditto to everything said above. If you are set on Moab, rent a car and drive at night so as not to miss any great daylight riding time because you are driving. There is more than enough premium singletrack within 40 minutes of SLC to keep you smiling all day.

Members who have read this thread: 0