Commuter question?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Commuter question?

I want to start commuting to Salt Lake Community College In Taylorsville from my house in Sugarhouse. Does anyone have any good bike routes to take. I have driven the area pretty thoroughly, but can't seem to find a good streets. Redwood road is too narrow with too much traffic. Any advice would be great. Thanks

mtbr member
    I'd take 8th or 17th south (whichever is closer, they are both bike-ways) west to the Jordan River Parkway. Head south to 4800 south..you'll have to get off the parkway into a park on north side of 4800 south, as the parkway tunnels underneath 4800. Take 4800 south (not so busy as 45/47th) west to Redwood road, and you're more or less kitty-corner from SLCC.

The Jordan river parkway has goatheads in places, so I'd run your favorite method of flat prevention.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tips. I have had some real issues with flats on the west side of town. There are too many empty lots full of weeds over there. I will try to find a good tire-tube combo to keep me rolling. Good advice.....

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I would just avoid 21st South and view that street as the nastiest, cheapest hooker you know you're gonna regret and probably die from eventually if you venture down.
    I just moved from Sugarhood and would commute from 13th E. west bound and that is a nasty place to be during rush hour and lunch. Given the I-80 construction going on it was even worse. No shoulder. People seem to drive it half asleep and in a hurry. And there are a number of fast food places all along it.
    I don't know how many times I was almost taken out by people pulling out of the McDonalds by 9th East leaning over the passenger's seat with their face buried in a paper bag full of trans-fats. The Starbucks exit right before 7th was almost as bad. Didn't matter if I was riding my bike or walking. After a few runs down the actual road, I ended up taking the sidewalk the next 5 years and faired a little better as I was able to swing around the cars a little easier rather than getting pushed closer and closer to the curb at each light as car commuters would get more and more angry trying to repass.

I have to say downtown commuting is much easier and less stressful. All I have to deal with now are the countless "Do you have .73 cents?" panhandling questions on every corner. I guess I don't recall the transition from the .25 cent question to .73 cents. Inflation must be killing the homeless. Although I really appreciate the specificity of the amount to make it seem so legit. Like they really just need .73 cents and they'll be able to pull themselves out of the gutter and beat their drug addiction.

Members who have read this thread: 0