Coming for a visit Utah!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Coming for a visit Utah!

Hi Folks,

My girlfriend and I will be taking a road trip end of September out in UTAH. We'll be flying into Salt Lake city and then driving to MOAB for some mountain biking and rafting and will likely do some hiking. Are there any preferred rafting and biking companies that set themselves apart from the rest that we should consider using? We'll then be driving to visit my parents in Henderson Nevada and will be stopping to visit Bryce canyon and ZION national park were we plan to do more hiking. While I am out there I was wondering if anyone could reccommend any stops along the way other than Bryce and ZION? any places that are must see's any cool little towns or places to eat. Any reccommendations or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Den

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sep is about the best month of the year

To ride in SLC. I would consider staying and riding slc instead of Moab. Less drivng and more time on the bike. Moab is good too so I guss you canont lose
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

My 2 cents

Moab
    I did a rafting trip with Western River Expeditions, they were great. Bikes, I've had good luck with Poison Spider, they've always been good when friends have needed to rent something. Food in Moab. Nothing fancy, but I prefer Moab Diner and Zaks. For hiking. Devils Garden in Arches is one of my favorites.

Zion
    Hike the Narrows and Angels Landing. There is a company just before the west park entrance that rents walking sticks and neoprene boots for pretty cheap - for the Narrows that is. Food. Before the west entrance there is a place called Blondies, I believe, on the north side of the road next to a field with some huge elk. Small family run joint, never had a bad meal there.

Another place to check out would be the San Rafael Swell / Goblin Valley. The Swell is very remote, most of the roads are dirt, not many tourists visit, but its got some cool stuff. There is a paved road to Goblin Valley and a pretty good dirt road that splits off near there to Little Wild Horse Canyon, a cool slot canyon that doesn't require any special equipment to navigate.

I'd rather be biking...
    Take Hwy 12 from capital reef over the Boulder mtns to Bryce canyon. You wont be disappointed! Ride Thunder mountain trail just west of Bryce canyon. Also take a slight detour on the way to zion (30 min detour off main route) and ride Either VRRT or Navajo lake loop with some VRRT. you can however take a pretty scenic dirt road off of cedar mountain to a place called kolob. They have a look out called lava point that looks over the park from a higher alttitude and of course once you hike the narrows in Zion and eat at the pizza noodle in springdale (just outside Zion) You should also hike angels landing and Hidden canyon. Check out Gooseberry mesa west of Zion to ride

mtbr member
    As long as you're in Moab, just outside of town is Arches Nat'l Park. Hike Fiery Furnace.

http://www.nps.gov/arch/photosmultim...d=203#e_144930

If you're going to raft, get on the Westwater section of the Colorado.
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

mtbr member
    Ditto on Angels Landing and The Narrows. Two of my favorites!

Members who have read this thread: 0