Coming to St George area ~March 8-15 (revised to ~14-20)- Mtbr.com
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Coming to St George area ~March 8-15 (revised to ~14-20)

Planning to spend 4-5 days riding around St George sometime in the March 8-15 timeframe.

Anyone willing to show an old fart from Oregon the goods?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

love to.

Email me off the Board [email protected] and we can talk specifics.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Au'Right!
    Nov 2004
    No........Just kidding you'll find no end of people to ride with...just PM before the time comes and if you don't already have plans we do pretty mellow rides on Sat. and sometimes on Sun. (At least the heretic sinner fringe rides on Sun.)
    Problem: "Bike has trouble going up steep hills."
    Fix: Recommend pressing harder on the pedals.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Oh please, I'm not worried about being a heretic..........no, I'm worried about being struck down by divine powers! And technically you can ride either day cdad, one side's Catholic (sunday sabbath) the other's jewish (saturday) decide to be catholic on saturday and jewish on sunday and you've got it made bro!
    I like bikes.

Thanks, guys. I hope to have a firmer schedule set in a few days. Going to spend a couple of day in Flagstaff on this trip and do not know if it will be at the start or end yet.

Every day is "chuch" day for me. I am a member of the Disciples of Dirt (Church of the Holy Soil)!
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Flagstaff may still be to snowy, might want to stick to Sedona, check out Hangover Trail, for a tought tech ride, there is internet video of the trail. Many trails there.
    Gooseberry Mesa and Little Creek Mountain are world class and more fun than any I've ridden. Try Little Creek first as it's easier and flows better.
    So many great trails in the area. With low altitude rides at St. George and the higher altitudes of Gooseberry and Little Creek, 5-6000' you can choose your weather. Use Utahmountainbiking.com to print some maps and enjoy. This early in the year St. George is great, Zen Trail is tech harder than much of Gooseberry.
    Lodging is cheap in Hurricane and St. George, more expensive near Zion at Springdale. Camping is free on Gooseberry.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    What bike are you bringing? I'm in for the SS variety if that's what your lookin for.

BTW I have never actually seen Cdad on a bike and Wasea flies his bike more than he pedals it.

Quote Originally Posted by abegold
    Flagstaff may still be to snowy, might want to stick to Sedona, check out Hangover Trail, for a tought tech ride, there is internet video of the trail. Many trails there.
    Gooseberry Mesa and Little Creek Mountain are world class and more fun than any I've ridden. Try Little Creek first as it's easier and flows better.
    So many great trails in the area. With low altitude rides at St. George and the higher altitudes of Gooseberry and Little Creek, 5-6000' you can choose your weather. Use Utahmountainbiking.com to print some maps and enjoy. This early in the year St. George is great, Zen Trail is tech harder than much of Gooseberry.
    Lodging is cheap in Hurricane and St. George, more expensive near Zion at Springdale. Camping is free on Gooseberry.
    Not worried about riding in Flag. Going to visit friends and get a fillet brazing lesson. I may ride around Sedona but it is not a priority. St George/Hurricane and Flagstaff are "close" in relation to the length on my trip but I do want to minimize the backtracking.

I spent one day at Gooseberry about 4 years ago and had a blast. Want to see more of the area. Traveling pretty light and cheap with just me, a bike (or two), gear box and sleeping bag packed in the old Civic.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by can't get right
    What bike are you bringing? I'm in for the SS variety if that's what your lookin for.

BTW I have never actually seen Cdad on a bike and Wasea flies his bike more than he pedals it.
    Most likely bringing the VulChester 29er hardtail. 2x9 though I tend to ride it (and most my bikes) as if a SS.

Will also bring the trials bike (AKA cocoshiggo) to play with. Could be fun on parts of Gooseberry. I have learned not to try any "high speed" trail stuff on it so no group rides on it.
    mtbtires.com

NOT Team Sanchez
    yeah, I decided the rolling resistance on my 2.5'' dual ply super tacky's was slowin' me down, so whenever possible i get 'em off the ground btw, unless you're a top ten level xc guy beware CGR and his SS rig
    I like bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    yeah, I decided the rolling resistance on my 2.5'' dual ply super tacky's was slowin' me down, so whenever possible i get 'em off the ground btw, unless you're a top ten level xc guy beware CGR and his SS rig
    I used to be a top 10 XC guy...many years ago. Now I blame it on hitting the tree in November: broken rib, punctured lung, damaged nerves...

I have seen the pics of CGR's new ride on the trails.

Do not mind riding with fast riders as long as they realize that I may not be. Usually it is we both fast, just in different places.
    mtbtires.com

NOT Team Sanchez
    CGR's fast, and of course a gracious host........nobody's going to invite to you ride then ditch you....we've got southern hospitality here in Utah's Dixie.
    I like bikes.

Au'Right!
    Nov 2004
    "BTW I have never actually seen Cdad on a bike and Wasea flies his bike more than he pedals it."

That because you don't look nearly as good as my wife in spandex. With more work on your part...maybe it could happen.

Oh please, I'm not worried about being a heretic..........no, I'm worried about being struck down by divine powers! And technically you can ride either day cdad, one side's Catholic (sunday sabbath) the other's jewish (saturday) decide to be catholic on saturday and jewish on sunday and you've got it made bro!

Doesn't that mean I'm going to hell in two religions? I'm practically sprinting there!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    Top Ten if the other nine are chicks.....hot chicks. I ride faster with hot chicks.

Looks like I will roll in the St George area sometime Saturday. Anything planned for Sat night/Sunday?
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Looks like I will roll in the St George area sometime Saturday. Anything planned for Sat night/Sunday?
    The first ICUP race is Saturday in St. George if that interests you.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    The first ICUP race is Saturday in St. George if that interests you.
    Gave up racing some years ago. May go hang out if nothing else comes up.
    mtbtires.com

Au'Right!
    Nov 2004
    I'll be available for either or both for shorter rides. Paradise, Zen, Barrel Roll, Church Rocks, etc. Zen's really fun. Paradise is short but well worth it for the views.

Au'Right!
    Nov 2004
    Ahhh ##$%! Nevermind. I'll be in SLC this weekend for a seminar. I suck.

Waiting for Godot
    too bad its snowing mad right now here in slc
    Out riding, leave a message

Dang! Injured my knee yesterday. Delaying--at least--my trip until I know how it is doing.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dang! Injured my knee yesterday. Delaying--at least--my trip until I know how it is doing.
    That's a shame.

Heal up quick

Quote Originally Posted by can't get right
    That's a shame.

Heal up quick
    I am limping around right now. Hopefully it will settle down quickly and I can be down there soon.
    mtbtires.com

I am limping around right now. Hopefully it will settle down quickly and I can be down there soon.
    My knee is much better, though I will probably ride with a brace, so...

The new plan: Going to Keysville Classic (CA) on Sat-Sun and heading for Hurricane Sunday night (march 15). Meeting another mtbr guy to camp near there. Ride until I can't, then off to Flagstaff.
    mtbtires.com

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Check out Zion Bike in Springdale

Planning to spend 4-5 days riding around St George sometime in the March 8-15 timeframe.

Anyone willing to show an old fart from Oregon the goods?
    A guy named Bill, who works at Zion, works there that took us out for a ride last week. A very nice guy. We rode Grafton/Mesa which may or may not be your deal because of the extreme technicality of the ride; however, there are certainly other great rides in the region.

Jaybo

Members who have read this thread: 0