Coming to Park City for IMBA Conf. & need advice- Mtbr.com
    GEAUX TIGERS!!!

Coming to Park City for IMBA Conf. & need advice

I am coming on June 18 through 22 and actually presenting at the conference, but need to rent a bike. I have located about 5 places. Can anyone recommend a place?

Also what are some not to miss rides around Park City? I will have all day Saturday and half a day Thurs. and Fri.
    Much obliged!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    anyone?

mtbr member
    We had a huge snow year, and the only stuff i know for sure that is open around PC is Glenwild. You can hook up some loops around there, the longest and best (IMO) being Flying Dog. It's dry and good to go. Trails are in good, even great shape and are in high desert, sage brush type terrain; warm and dry. I rode yesterday and had a great ride.

I guess some of the trails around the resorts may be open soon but I wouldn't count on it.

Enjoy!

cranktankerous Mainer
    Hey Hagen, should be a good time. I imagine the locals get soooo bored with the Park City questions. Firstly I wouldn't get all to stressed out on the bike rental, it's still kind of off season, there should be plenty of choices. Personally I would wait to see them in the shop, just wouldn't lock myself into ONE bike for the whole time I was out there, but that's just my thoughts about rental. ...also sounds like Cannondale, Trek, Kona, Sram and GT. will have demo bikes available in the Prospector Parking Lot G expo area, so that might work for you too. I just bring my bike on the plane when I travel, not a big deal with a good case.

ok the riding situation- Check out the ParkCity trail write-ups on this web site http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/ and get a understanding what is out there, also glance at the forum for updated trail conditions. http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/UMBphpBB2/index.php This gives a good overall view and will get you familiar with all the trail names.

I also like to hunt around on http://www.motionbased.com/ and look at the various rides people have done on the Google satellite maps. type search words "Park City, Utah, Mountain biking" Again this helps with the "big picture"

...but really IMBA will have rides all set for us at the end of the day -check out the schedule. http://imba.com/summit/rides.html there will be plenty of rides going off and we'll get the scoop on the snow when we get into town.

see you out there!

Toddski from Maine!

Bored Carp
    There is a very good map, available at all the bike shops, that you can buy for $2. You will need to go to the shop anyway, as the trail conditions are very changeable right now and the shop guys will have all of the most current info. You can ride to all of the trails.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddski
    ...but really IMBA will have rides all set for us at the end of the day -check out the schedule. http://imba.com/summit/rides.html there will be plenty of rides going off and we'll get the scoop on the snow when we get into town.
    The rides planned are DEFINITELY good rides. But half the trails mentioned (particularly the BIG RING and GRAVITY rides) won't be clear of snow. Your best bet is to do the easy rides or attempt to hook up with locals (which you are doing!) and hit alternate routes. Chuky and I will be out of town that weekend or I would volunteer.

Rentals will be easy, check Cole Sport, Jans or White Pine when you arrive. I see there are also demos planned. Or maybe call around and reserve now since I am sure others will be thinking the same way.

JMH

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Hey man...I work at White Pine and we're doing special rates for IMBA attendees and reservations as well. Give us a call @ 435-649-8710

One ride you may want to consider is the Summer Solstice ride...begins at 4:30am and ends at 9:30pm on Saturday the 21st...quickly becoming a Park City tradition. You don't need to do the whole thing and I haven't heard much about the route yet probably because (hopefully) by then more trails will be dry and open. We should get all the details later next week so stop in or give us a call.

Jay C.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    2010 Rigid Salsa Selma SS
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member

White Pine is good...

If you want to try Giant and try out the rides out near Midway, Brothers has a great crew also.

Sweeny's, John's, John's 99 and Gravedigger are all dry now. Pinebrook, Round Valley, Flying Dog, Skid Row to Lower Deer Valley options are dry as well. Midmountain from John's to Spiro is ridable, with a couple of spots of snow which should be gone in a couple of hot days. I recommend Sweeny's to John's to Midmountain down Spiro, for an interesting circuit. You can go the other direction also, but I think Sweeny/Johns is way more interesting and fun climbing than Spiro. Flying Dog is great as well. The jumps in Bob's Basin are a good add-on to that loop.
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

mtbr member
    May 2004
    OK. Sold the Nomad yesterday, leaving the Kona Stinky, Kona Unit SS, and Eastern dirt jump bike. Unit or Stinky? I saw that Deer Mt opened today-but am fine on xc trails-or is Deer Valley truly gravity resort or lift accessible to am/xc trails in higher elevations? How is the DJ park? Worth taking the DJ bike?
    thank you! and regardless of the type of riding and weather, I'll have a great time!

The Tyranical Teabagger
    a good 4-5 inch bike is fine for most anything in Park City except for the lift access stuff in Deer Valley/Park City Mountain Resort. i know they opened the lifts but not sure what trails are rideable...check out www.deervalley.com for more info. as far as dirt jumping there's a great park in town but not at deer valley...i'd prepare to do most cross country than anything else with some fun descents...you gotta earn your downhill around here.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    2010 Rigid Salsa Selma SS
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

Members who have read this thread: 0