Coming to Draper, Need camping advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Coming to Draper, Need camping advice

Greetings from Denver. My wife just graduated nursing school and will be taking her boards in Draper on Monday 6/29. We just got the date a couple days ago so we're on short notice and I didn't have time to plan what we're gonna do. So far the plan is to get a hotel Sunday night to make sure she can get a good night's rest before taking the test. After that, we wanna camp Monday and Tuesday night. We'll also be bringing our 3 & 4 year olds with us.

Her test is at 2pm Monday so please recommend something fun for the kids to do not too far from Draper. After her test we are free to go anywhere else. What's a nice campsite in the Salt Lake City area. I would prefer somewhere with nice singletrack nearby to be able to hike with the fam and maybe sneak in a 2-3 hr ride if I can wake up early enough. As far as the biking goes, I would say my style is aggressive XC. I don't mind long climbs, techy stuff is good, but I really love tight, twisty singletrack.

Thanks in advance.

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004
    I would head up Little or Big Cottonwood - then you'd have good access to trails and be out of the valley (cooler). This site lists the Wasatch NF campgrounds - http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/intermtn/wasinfo.htm

Spruces campground in big cottonwood would be a good spot to ride loops on the Wasatch Crest trail from. http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/

I think there's a water park in Draper - might be fun for the kids...

mtbr member
    I agree. Head up Big Cottonwood to the Spruces. Then ride up to Guardsman pass and ride the crest back down to Mill D, which is right there at the Spruces.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    I second Spruces.

You can ride up Mill D north to either Dog lake or Desolation lake and make huge single track loops (Down into Mill creek or using the Crest trail to head over to the Canyons, Park City and Deer Valley) out of rides from that trail head. Be ready for some fun steep climbing up to either lake (I love it).

Bring your fishing poles for the kids, as Spruces has a creek running through it. Also, the kids/wife can hike up to Donut falls from the campground that is easy and fun.

You can eat at Silver Lake Lodge, just about 2 miles up the canyon from the campground, or eat at Solitude that is about 5 miles up the canyon from the campground. Solitude also has some great single track trails that you can ride.

Have fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Albion Basin up by Alta is nice too, if it's open......

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton
    Albion Basin up by Alta is nice too, if it's open......
    If you like to camp in snow - then head up to Albion basin.

mtbr member
    Thanks everybody for the tips and Zak for the links. Wasatch Crest trail sounds just like what I'm looking for. So looking at the maps, looks like I wanna start at Mill D North Fork. From there, what's the preferred climbing route, Mill D N up to Wasatch, or should I take a left at Dog Lake to Mill Creek over to Wasatch Cres? Also, which is the preferred route on the descend? If I find myself not having much time, could I drive up to Puke Hill and shuttle back down to Mill D North Fork? Shuttling is a touchy subject here on the CO front range and I don't do it, but if that's all I have time for I would like to at least enjoy some nice Utah singletrack.

Last question, Can I access the trailhead for Mill D North Fork from the Spruces CG or do I have to drive a bit? Thanks again.

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    If you like to climb, than you are in for a treat going up Mill D North. Either trail is great, Dog Lake or Desolation Lake. If you don't like steep climbing than don't go up Dog lake!

The Crest is normally riden as a Point to Point using a shuttle up to Guardsmans Pass and riding down to Mill D north.

You can easily ride from the Spruces Camp Ground to Mill D trail head.

What is wrong with shuttling in CO?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mooddude
    What is wrong with shuttling in CO?
    Just spend a day over on the CO Front Range forum and you'll know what I'm talking about. There's a very convenient trail called Apex that's very popular because it's so easy to access for hikers and bikers. There's almost a thread every week about conflicts from enraged hikers, shuttlers wearing full armour on DH bikes, XC/trail riders and uptight rangers ticketing bikers for stupid crap like not yielding properly when the rules are very vague. There seems to be douchebags every week who have to go and ruin it for all. The problem has gotten outta hand that JCOS(Jefferson County Open Space) and COMBA( Colorado Mountain Bike Assoc.) have made various proposals to solve the issue. So whenever you hear "shuttle" on the CO f.r. forums, it becomes a big flame and pissing war.

mtbr member
    Thanks again for the recommendations. We were gonna camp in Spruces but couldn't because we had our dog with us. I did manage to get my wife to shuttle me to Guardsman Pass for a quick ride. Made the climb up Puke Hill down to Desolation Lake and then down to Mill D North TH on Monday. The trail was awesome . The section down from the spine to the trailhead reminded me of my favorite trail around the Denver area.

Because of having our dog, we had to change our itinerary and headed down for some Moab goodness. Woke up Wednesday morning and did Slick Rock, went and rested for a couple hours and had my wife drop me off at Porcupine Rim and rode to the Colorado River and ride back into town. Haven't done Slick Rock since '03 and this was my first time down Porcupine. That was fun as hell!

Members who have read this thread: 0