Christmas Travels... Where to ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Christmas Travels... Where to ride?

Huzah for the Christmas season and the sudden abundance of time to travel to see friends and family. I'm gonna make like a shepard and get the flock out of Logan (northern Utah) next Thursday'ish to head to Denver and meet up with my lady friend.

This time of year common sense says jump on I-80 and leave the bike at home... But my gut says drive to Moab, bike a couple of days, and brave I-70 across into Denver... So to those of you in southern Utah and western Colorado, how's the riding? Plenty to do in Moab? Anything still clear between the UT - CO border and Denver? Should I have my head checked for voluntarily going out of my way to take I-70 into Denver this time of year? Anyone need a slow'ish, out of shape tag-along with enthusiasm to round out their riding group?

Lay it on me

mtbr member

A Big Fat Change of Plans!

Looks like I'm going to be taking to the skies to travel east... Tickets aren't as bad as I thought and I forgot now that I'm 25 it doesn't cost me an arm, leg, and kidney to rent a car... add in saved travel time (although my time still isn't worth much) and happy times...

My legs are still itching to get out and spin though so I'm considering the Hurricane / St. George area and I'd like to do it on the cheap... Leave Logan early on the 13th and roll in around 2'ish... spin around some of Goosebery...

There is some camping near the Goose, correct? Any better camping/lodging options in the area?

Spend Friday thrashing around Goose again, trying not to break myself, followed by more camping...

Saturday - anyone have any suggestions for a must-do ride? Guacamole, Church Rocks, Slick Rock Swamp are the 3 I see mentioned a fair bit on here and that look good from UtahMountainbiking.com... thoughts? suggestions?

Maybe something quick on Sunday morning and then in the car booking north.

Good plan, bad plan? Any of you locals going to be out and about that might like to play tour guide?

mtbr member

How's the road into Gooseberry?

I'm going to mount up and head south manana. Does anyone know how the roads into Gooseberry are? And between coming in from Rockville or Hurricane, is there a preference? I'm driving a Merc Grand Marquis so the least demanding route is DEFINITELY preferred.

Once I tire of the Goose which do you think: Slick Rock Swamp (where I'm leaning right now), Guacamole, Church Rocks or other... I'm looking for some fast and flow, tech and rock, stuff to jump off of... basically fun fun fun and a lot of bang for the buck.

mtbr member
    The Road from Rockville is very steep and if it is at all wet you won't make it with a 2wd car. The road from the Hurricane side is flat but if it is wet I still wouldn't attempt it with out a high clearance vehicle. Even if the road has dried up you may still need a high clearance vehicle if the ruts (they can be pretty deep) haven't been graded. Your only hope is to pray for a dry and newly graded road. I would try Little Creek just to the south of Gooseberry. More slickrock than Gooseberry and the road has had a cinder base l so it holds up to the weather better than the road to Gooseberry.
    http://www.mtbguru.com/trip/show/363...27-2007-gpx-t0 Little Creek is at a slightly higher elevation than Gooseberry so cold weather could be a factor. Rockville and Guacamole are both much lower in elevation than Little Creek and Gooseberry but the road to Guacamole can also be an issue with a low clearance car. The last quarter mile of the road is a very steep cut up the side of the mesa and again a high clearance vehicle is recommended. Church Rocks is the last ditch trail when all others are weathered out. Church Rocks can be ridden even when its raining.
    Last edited by LoIQ; 12-12-2007 at 08:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You can always just ride

From where the road gets bad to the trailhead. Its can't be more then 3 miles to the trailhead from where the goose road forks off the main dirt road.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    I appreciate the heads up If I deviate from my Goose plan, where are some other places to camp? Is it just easiest to just head towards Zion and catch something that way?

Also, what are the good bike shops in the area? I'll probably have to swing in and get directions/guide book for the rides.

mtbr member
    Watch the weather forecast for southern Utah and let that be your guide. Even in St. George it will probably get below freezing at night and that will be the warmest place. Everything else is higher in elevation and thus colder that that. If it's not too cold, around Zion would be better than on Gooseberry which is much higher and colder.

Members who have read this thread: 0