Changes to BST @ research park?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Changes to BST @ research park?

Hello everybody!

I'm an FNG to this forum stuff, and if I make a mistake let me have it.

Here's my question:
    Anyone know what's going on with all the trail reconstruction on the BST above research park?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Not sure why they built that new section in the first place, but they are working on again to better armor a pipeline that they exposed during construction. At least that's what I heard.

Welcome to the forums.

JMH

Luddite technophile
    I suspect this is all part of the prelude to building the new Natural History Museum smack dab on top of the trail just before it reaches the Red Butte Gardens road. Part of the discussion involved the University taking over some trail maintenance in that area. I don't know that the University did it, but I believe it's their land, so it's likely.

I can't say that I'm very happy with the way they turned a nice doubetrack/singletrack into a dirt highway. Although getting rid of some of the erosion ruts was nice, I'd prefer that they had left it alone.

Just wait until they build the zoo expansion on the other end of that trail section - with the Museum on one end and the zoo on the other it'll really muck up a nice section of trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for your responses!
    Dirt highway is right. They must have contracted with UDOT.
    I didn't know the zoo got the ok to expand. hope the "new trail" goes through the mountain goat enclosure for inspiration.
    Just got back from a cool (temp) ride and noticed they went up skyline too. It was getting dark so I didn't check it out. Looks like another UDOT job there too.
    Last edited by Shelbak73; 11-20-2007 at 10:11 PM.

Luddite technophile
    I believe the zoo got the OK several years ago when the bond issue passed, but from what I've heard they still don't have the money. But I'm not really current on this. I just know they want to do it and it's probably inevitable. I don't know if they need an EIS for this and that might cause a snag - one can only hope. I could almost forgive them if the trail did go through the mountain goat exhibit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    (building the new Natural History Museum smack dab on top of the trail just before it reaches the Red Butte Gardens road.)

That could also be why they didn't "improve" the bottom of the climb/descend section near Red Butte Gardens road.
    I think I'll cruse up Skyline on T-day to see if they may be installing handrails or other such usefull things. (wink wink)

Members who have read this thread: 0