Cassidy/Loosee/Casto 8/18/07- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Cassidy/Loosee/Casto 8/18/07

I'll finally be able to do this ride next weekend! After actually doing a search before posting, I think I'll do Cassidy up to Loosee, down and over to Casto, back up to Cassidy and down the length of Cassidy. This route looks good to me because it includes the full Cassidy Trail back to the highway. I could not find the distance for this loop. Anyone know? Normally I wouldn't care but I'm meeting some friends in Brian Head later in the day so I want to know how long this ride should take.

I'm staying in St. George Friday night so I'd also like to know the quickest route to the Cassidy trail head and about how much time it will take to get there from St.G. If anybody wants to ride with me just let me know! I climb on the slow side but go reasonably fast on the descents. Thanks for any info.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog
    Thanks for any info.
    M- Your description is confusing me... are you proposing up Cassidy to Losee, down Losee Cyn, up Casto Cyn, down Cassidy again?

If so, that's a big ride to knock out before meeting your friends. I would guess it would take 4 hours and leave even a strong rider pretty knackered.

I have found the standard loop of Casto Cyn to Cassidy to be plenty, and it takes about 2.5 - 3 hours. It's pretty strenuous. Last time I explored the multiple intersections with Rich's trail on the way back down and those were nice, the descent down Rich's is more technical and fun than the same section of Cassidy.

It's fun up there, enjoy!

JMH

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yeah, that's the idea! I got it from grande y veloz from a thread I started last year. He said he's done this loop and added on the Thunder Mtn loop as well for a total ride of 42 miles. When I did Thunder 3 years ago I logged 16 miles so I figure the ride I propose will be around 26 miles. Not bad math for a P.E. teacher! I'm in fair to midland shape and just rode 28 miles in 4+ hrs. on the Kern Plateau here in SoCal at about the same elevation as Cassidy. I do 20+ mile rides a few times each month so I'm looking forward to this one. My buddies will be at some motel in B.H. and don't plan on riding Saturday so they can wait!

Do you know the exact mileage of this loop? Any other crazy people want to join me in my insanity? Thanks for the tip on Rich's trail. If I'm not too knackered, I may give it a try. Are Rich's and Cassidy marked clearly?

mtbr member
    I'll finally be able to do this ride next weekend! After actually doing a search before posting, I think I'll do Cassidy up to Loosee, down and over to Casto, back up to Cassidy and down the length of Cassidy. This route looks good to me because it includes the full Cassidy Trail back to the highway. I could not find the distance for this loop. Anyone know? Normally I wouldn't care but I'm meeting some friends in Brian Head later in the day so I want to know how long this ride should take.

I'm staying in St. George Friday night so I'd also like to know the quickest route to the Cassidy trail head and about how much time it will take to get there from St.G. If anybody wants to ride with me just let me know! I climb on the slow side but go reasonably fast on the descents. Thanks for any info.
    You lucky dog. I just got back from a week at Red Canyon and absolutely loved it.

You should be able to figure out the mileage from the GPS data at

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com

or from my recent trail map

http://www.gpstrailmaps.com/utah/Red...RedCanyon.html

(I pretty much followed the trails from the Utah Mountain Biking web site, except that I didn't care much for the Rich trail alternate to the Cassidy shown as part of their Cassidy Lossee loop it's a bit too technical for an unacclimated solo rider.)

I think that the Casto-Losee loop on the http://www.utahmountainbiking.com web site would be a good day's ride. You'll hit the best parts of the Cassidy trail on this loop.

If I'd been riding with others I'd have also explored more of the Thunder Mountain trail. I just did the first climb past the switchbacks and a couple of knife-edge ridges up to where the trail does down a bit at 7900 feet.

Losee Canyon is pretty nice. I liked it so much I took my family for a hike even after having already seen it twice before. You can't be too fussy or too fast to enjoy this, though. There's lots of horse manure on the trail and you're likely to see some really big groups of unskilled horseback riders on what look like some pretty skittish horses.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

mtbr member

here ya go

Do you know the exact mileage of this loop? Any other crazy people want to join me in my insanity? Thanks for the tip on Rich's trail. If I'm not too knackered, I may give it a try. Are Rich's and Cassidy marked clearly?
    23 miles total and maybe 4 hours of riding time although you could do it in 3 if you hauled ass. Kinda hard to do in that kind of scenery. Not stopping that is. I'd call it strenuous cross country riding. Lots of short, exacting climbs.

I echo JTM's comments on Rich trail. I'd avoid it on the climb up. You'll be off your bike. That would be your first left so stay right. At the next intersection stay left on Cassidy rather than going right on Rich and head to Brayton Point (a spectacular overlook). I'd recommend this section of Rich for the way back so you don't have to climb (hike) the switchbacks on Cassidy as the trail drops off the plateau. The trails are mostly well- marked but the turnoff to Cassidy from Casto is easy to miss.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for the info. That's really useful! Climbing's O.K. but I do like to take the lesser of climbing evils!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I am a lucky dog! What would I ever do if I had a real job and couldn't take off a couple days to ride?

No, that's not phonetic
    I've ridden up Casto to Cassidy, along Cassidy to Red Canyon, then up the bike path and over the Thunder Mtn to make a loop a couple of times now. I think that was a good 5 hours, but we did it on 36 pound, 7" travel bikes. Beautiful and fun.

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Great pics! Looks like a great trail. I'll be on my 28 lb, 3" travel Rocky Element but I do weigh in at 215 lbs! I may add on the Thunder Mtn loop after a lunch/Gatorade break at the end of Cassidy. I'm trying to talk my buddies into riding Thunder Mtn on Sunday or Monday though. They don't like climbing very much at all (even less than I do) so we'll probably shuttle Thunder which would be a fairly easy ride. Thanks for the pics. I'll use them to motivate my sometimes reluctant friends!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Excellent pictures! I'm hoping to hit this in the fall.

Members who have read this thread: 0