Car a must in Moab?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Car a must in Moab?

3 of us will be in Moab w/ the rest of the mtb. community in April! Wondering how important a car is? We may fly into Moab. Car rental there is pricey. How far is it to the trails? I know they have shuttles to Porc. Rim but what else? We're wanting to do Sovereign, Amasa, Porc., probably Slick Rock and one other. If there is a lot of road riding we will want to rent and we'll probably fly into G.J. since car rentals are half the cost of Moab. Thanks for the help.

More Chasmism
    I live in Moab, I've been riding quite a bit lately, and I haven't been in my car for at least three weeks, if that tells you anything. Slickrock, Porcupine, Amasa and even Gold Bar / Poison Spider / Portal can all be ridden from town if you don't mind some scenic road riding. Shuttles can mitgate this somewhat -- they are easily available to lift you above town and let you find your way back.

hfly

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the reply. Sounds like we won't need a car. I don't mind a little road riding especially if it's scenic.

Andykiller

Take the Shuttle

You may want to take a shuttle. Call up Jesse at Coyote shuttle and I believe he can take you to any of the trail heads that you mentioned. This dude that says he rides to all the trailheads probably does not have a drivers license. You can ride back into town after you complete your rides, but Jesse will likely pick you up if you call him on a cell phone after you are done with your ride or arrange a time for him to pick you up. He would probably pick you up from the airport if you made arrangements with him. The Moab airport has great rates out of Salt Lake international. It is about $150 round trip. If Jesse can not help you try the other shuttle service. In the end it may be cheaper to rent a car.

In April, the sun is still not staying out very long and you do not want to spend the daylight hours on the pavement or risking your life on highway 191. People in Moab forget that the road that runs right through town is a major highway and has big trucks and hyper weekend drivers on it, rushing to get into Moab for the weekend. Also, you will want to avoid river road traffic. Riding a road bike on Moab roads is a pain in the azz. Why do pavement with 2.4 wide fat tires? You sure as hell do not want to ride on pavement out to the Soveriegn trail. You can get there on dirt if you are clever and well informed, but then you may be too trashed to do the actual trail. It would be a lot of slow uphill and who knows how sandy it would be getting out to the Sovereign trailhead.

Furthermore, keep in mind that the jeeps will be in town in mass during April, especially the week leading up to Easter Sunday, or big Sunday as the jeepers refer to it. Try to avoid jeep Safari if you are mountain biking or stay off of trails that jeeps travel on. I would not go on any trail that shares access with jeeps during Jeep Safari. The first week of April will be a zoo, unless you are into jeeping, then you will see it differently.

More Chasmism
    Quote Originally Posted by Andykiller
    .This dude that says he rides to all the trailheads probably does not have a drivers license.
    lol

hfly

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Yeah, I pretty much agree but I think it depends on your bike and your fitness. If you are fit, the extra 5-10 miles tacked on to every ride aren't bad on a light and efficient bike. I have ridden from camps to trails and back often on my hardtail bikes over the years. But it's a completely different story if you are pedalling a 40lb suspension bike up and down the highway.

Plus, a 10 mile trail in Moab is going to feel like a 20 mile trail anywhere else. Even the easy routes can be punishing... the hard ones will beat you down and the last thing you will want to do is ride 7 miles back to town.

But it is certainly possible!

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by Andykiller
    Also, you will want to avoid river road traffic. Riding a road bike on Moab roads is a pain in the azz. Why do pavement with 2.4 wide fat tires?

Members who have read this thread: 0