Canyons Area Trail Advice, without chairlift- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Canyons Area Trail Advice, without chairlift

Hi Utah riders. I'm staying near the Canyons base area and can sneak out for a couple hours, but before the lifts open. I want to ride from Canyons (without driving) and do some climbing and technical cross country. I would appreciate a few suggestions for close trail access. Can I ride up White Pine Canyon Rd and access Mid Mountain trial? It looks like Ambush might be partially closed for construction. Maybe Collins and Robs, but do I need to ride into town to hit that? I rode a ways up Holly's tonight, which was a cool trail, but I kept thinking it might be more for downhill traffic. Thanks for any recommendations.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Not to much technical cx to be had in the PC area, but plenty of climbing and fast fun downhills. I'm unsure of Ambush's status right now, but both Ambush and Rob's end up in the same place. I generally prefer to climb ambush and descend robs/Colin's/rosebud. From the top of those trails you can turn left and stay on mid mountain to the crest connector and ride that up to the red dirt saddle or continue all the way to the crest 3way itself. Then turn around and enjoy and absolutely ripping downhill back to the base area. For a few bonus miles you could also ride north on Hunters of Mid Mountain at the top of Ambush/Robs for a little bit, then just turn around when it starts to descend steeply and switchback a bunch....unless you're in to climbing back up that stuff. The first mile or two from Ambush is fun and flowy in both directions.

Frame Building Moderator
    Lower Ambush (maybe 500 feet of trail) is closed for golf course construction but you can access it from Collin's/Rosebud or use Collin's/Rob's to do the same climb to access:
    -Midmountain or Crest (be aware that you'll be going "backwards" on the Crest if you start from the north side, though)
    -Holly's/Insurgent/Bike Park trails (IMO Holly's should be DH only but you can theoretically ride up it too)
    -Hunter's and (if you know them) the Pinebrook trails. If you don't know these, you will get lost in a hurry and they are not mapped, though.
    -UOP trails. IMO a very fun DH but a little switchbacky/rocky/sandy for some folks tastes. Probably one of the more "technical" XC trails you'll find in the basin, though.

To get to Collin's, ride down the road from the resort and go north at the traffic circle to the Waldorf. Then stay on the residential road (Cooper Ln) and turn left on Sun Peak. The trailhead is signed and will be on your left after a few hundred feet.

Hope that helps!

-Walt

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    one of my favorites from the Canyons 7-11 is to take the bus to Park City Transport Center, ride 1 mile North on the bike path to PCMR, and then climb Armstrong to Mid Mountain. Take Mid Mountain North to Canyons, and then go down "whatever", back to the 7-11. The PC busses are free, and bike friendly.

Also, I can't stand Holly's, it's so beat up (right now Holly is a worn out crack whore, needs a lot of work). Ambush is great, but as stated is shut down some for construction.