Camping at Zen trailhead- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Camping at Zen trailhead

Heard somewhere that it's all fine to camp by there, Blm maps aren't clear enough to know for sure, it's close to the no good zone but I think it's in the clear.

mtbr member
    It's essentially just a giant dirt lot. I can't imagine why anybody would care. I could be wrong though.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I see people camping there every time we go down there. Usually down in the bottom of the wash, but a few times at the trail head just off the street and even a time or two up on top of the valley opposite Zen. I recommend riding counter clockwise and keep an eye out for the easily missed single track to the riders left before the jeep trail. Also ride during the week if at all possible right around 09:30 - 10:00.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    how far up from the jeep trail is the left? I always miss it, 3x so far! :-/

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    That unofficial trail to the left is located after you're done with the technical on the counter-clockwise descent and not far from the powerline road. It is a more technical way to return to the parking lot instead of the dirt road. I think the Zen trail has a little "landing" type feature there, or wide spot, where riders gather.

We saw the trail but didn't know what is was about and went down to the road. From down there we saw riders on that trail. Looked like fun!

We saw campers. I'm going through St. George in about a week on my way to Fruita and Moab for a few weeks and may camp there instead of sleeping in a rest area north of St George. Get a little riding in the morning before the long drive to Fruita, CO.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    how far up from the jeep trail is the left? I always miss it, 3x so far! :-/
    St. George, Utah Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

I hope this works, but from this link you may be able to see where the trail heads left. Zoom out and you should be able to get an idea of how far it is from the Jeep trail.

I didn't know this portion of the trail was there for a few years until a local I was riding with pointed it out. I love this trail, I just wish it was marked better.

mtbr member
    good deal, starting day one of my rampage trip right there! Thanks