Camping in Vernal?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Camping in Vernal?

I've done a pretty exhaustive search on here and am not finding a whole lot of info. Definitely none up to date.
    My wife, 3 yr. old daughter and I are planning a 5 day trip with our pop-up to Vernal and are trying to figure out a place to camp. After a 6 hour drive I'd rather have a place to go than searching for one with the 3 year old! Organized campgrounds aren't really our thing. Most posts I've found say to camp out near the McCoy Flats trailhead, but that there aren't many (or any) trees in the area for protection and/or shade. We don't need to be right on a trailhead. Actually, a nice spot we can spend 5 days is more important and we will just drive to trailheads. We've got a small pop-up that we've dragged into some difficult spots, so we don't mind a little OHV work. I know it's the desert, but we'll be there the 2nd weekend in May, so a little runoff stream nearby would be fantastic.
    Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Your Best Friend
    The McCoy flats area would be perfect. It doesn't have huge trees but it does have a lot of the typical Utah Junipers. You'll be fine.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If it was A little later by maybe 3-4 weeks you could camp up around the flume but not sure what the snow situation is like. It's more of what your looking for , trees, stream, etc but i live about 60 miles from there so can't be definite. As Silentfoe said McCoy area is a good spot yes it's open but there are a few spots with a little bit of cover.

You might try posting over here and I'm sure someone could give you more definite answers...https://www.facebook.com/groups/203169786388022/ Good luck and just an FYI not sure what your dates are but the annual NUMBFEST is the weekend of the 28th of may. More info can be found on there facebook page or here Welcome to Northeastern Utah Mountain Bikers, NUMB

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the responses. If there are junipers and little nooks to hide in on the way to the trailhead, maybe McCoy will be the spot.