Camping near Hurricane- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Camping near Hurricane

A couple of buddies and I will be in the Hurricane area in 2 weeks and are looking for a campground for tenting. Showers would be nice.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    Well, until you said showers, I was going to tell you to just drive up to the trails at Gooseberry Mesa and camp for free. There are 2-3 campground/RV places in Hurricane that I've seen driving by and then there's another campground out just past Virgin as well.

Here is a list of (4) separate campgrounds that all allow tents and have showers.
    Hurricane, UT Campground Reviews - Best of Hurricane Camping - RV Park Reviews

Those above would be closer to town amenities (Taco Bell,gas stations, Over the Edge bike shop, etc...) but the one below out past Virgin would put you within minutes of Guacamole, the JEM trail (and all it's new stuff) and Flying Monkey if you really want to ride some sketchy stuff. You can also get up to Gooseberry from this side but I hear it can be pretty gnarly (I've never went up from that side). There is pretty much nothing in Virgin but LaVerkin is about 8-10 miles back and has everything you could need or you could go the other way into Springdale (gateway to Zion). It has everything, just much pricier than LaVerkin.
    Zion RV Park | Zion National Park RV Park and CampgroundZion River Resort | Zion National Park RV Resort

mtbr member
    Check hotel prices, I looked into the same thing a few years back and hotels were actually close enough in price to camping that it was a no brainer to have hot showers and a beer fridge....

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I'm staying at Zion RV Park | Zion National Park RV Park and CampgroundZion River Resort | Zion National Park RV Resort in Virgin next week. $43/night for camping includes showers, great views of the entrance to Zion Canyon, a clubhouse with WiFi, hot tub, pool, and the main trails within a few miles. Pricy for camping but almost like RV'ing. Tent sites are on the Virgin River but this river is often muddy so not that great. The Red Bull Rampage venue is across the river.

The road from nearby Rockville up to Gooseberry Mesa can be a real "treat". 4WD is best but my van makes it. High clearance is a must and conditions vary from a little challenging to death defying to impassable in winter. The bike shops usually know the road conditions.

Fine dining in Hurricane is at the Diary Queen and La Verkin is a step down from that. I would rather tent camp at Virgin than hang out in Hurricane. The best would be to have a motel in Springdale. However, I'm on a 3 week MTB trip through south UT to Fruita so I have to cut the budget somewhere.

I love Springdale at the entrance to Zion. The Switchback pub next to the Best Western is a favorite as is the restaurant across the street in the evenings. Also try the Flying Monkey pub for lunch.

If you are looking for wild nightlife, well, this is UT.

beater

Camping near Hurricane

If you want amenities like showers, look into a VRBO. They can be had cheaply in that part of the country. Otherwise buy a sun shower and camp at Gooseberry.

mtbr member

Some Other Options

If you want something that feels like camping but with toilets and running water try Quail Creek State Park or Red Cliffs Campground. Quail Creek is right on Quail Lake with mountain bike trails on both side of the lake you can ride to from the campground. Red Cliffs is tucked up into a red rock canyon with beautiful rock formations, a stream though the campground and right at the trailhead for multiple hiking and biking options, again ride from camp to the trails. It was undergoing some renovations last fall when I was in town, better check whether or not it is open. Both locations are secluded enough from I-15 you should not have any road noise. Definitely get the portable shower structure and solar shower bags. You can heat water over a camp stove if the sun don't shine.

Campgrounds
    Quail Creek State Park | Utah State Parks
    Red Cliffs Campground
    Campgrounds Near Hurricane, Utah

Trails next to campgrounds
    Prospector Trail
    Quail Creek Overlook Trail System near Hurricane Utah

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses everybody. We had planned a combination of camping and cheap hotels, but alas, the weather is not cooperating.
    It looks like you are getting some weather there not unlike the weather we are getting here http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...+CO+81301:4:US and that does not make for fun, trail friendly riding.

This will have to be put off until a better weekend in March.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage