Camping near Gooseberry, Little Creek and Thunder Mtn- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Camping near Gooseberry, Little Creek and Thunder Mtn

I am planning a trip and was wanting to camp in one central spot. We will be up there for about 4 days in mid May. It would be nice to set up up camp once. We will be tent camping. Any suggestions or recomendations???

Thanx

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thunder Mountain and Gooseberry are a long ways apart.

I would guess that its a 2 hour drive from one to the other. If I were you I would just camp at goose. Its great for tent camping. Check out trail conditions before heading for red canyon. i would not be suprised if its still underneath snow.
    Don't forget to go to zion national park. No bikes are allowed but don't miss the change to hike, and canyoneer if you can. Its unreal in there.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

I'd rather be biking...
    I second camping at Goose and by the way Thunder mountain Is snow free and ready.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks. Should we keep our camp at Goose and do a day trip to Thunder or should we move our camp up to Red Canyon?

I'd rather be biking...
    Thanks. Should we keep our camp at Goose and do a day trip to Thunder or should we move our camp up to Red Canyon?
    You could make a day trip out of it. It's just over 2 hours from St. George. Might take longer to go through Zion and head up hwy 89. Ride Thunder mountain and Cassidey up and back or add Losee for a loop option. Can be done in one day easy. You're call though. They have camping in Red Canyon and up on top near the trailhead(Coyote Hollow) thats a little more secluded and away from the hwy. The campground in Red Canyon isn't open yet but would imagine soon. Might be a nice change in scenery to move camps though and take the day easy. Though it is nice to have Trail access right out of your tent on Gooseberry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey thanks. I was told to do Thunder 2 times. Ist to take pictures and the 2nd time to have fun riding. I was told there is free camping on a dirt road that goes north from the main hiway and just past where you go thru the mini tunnel.

Where are the trails you mentioned? maybe we will stay there 2 days.

Thanks

I'd rather be biking...
    Utahmountainbiking.com has detailed trail info

Rode Thunder and cassidey this week and It was great!

not sure of the camping your talking about. The coyote hollow trailhead camping is south of the highway on the top of Red Canyon. It's the same road that takes you to the top of Thunder mountain trailhead. The red canyon campgrounds are right by the mini Tunnel.I think the average is $11 a night w/ bathrooms and tables. There are plenty of places to find free camping though just off the highway in the trees though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the help. Utah mtb site has some good info.

One more question. What is the drive time from Gooseberry to Little Creek Mesa?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Its about 30 min.

Buts its not easy to find. I have been there 5 or 6 times, and don't think I could find it and follow the trail on my own. Use a GPS and I think you will be fine.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Members who have read this thread: 0