Buy a Moab Rental?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Buy a Moab Rental?

I'm assuming there is a consensus that this is either a smart idea to save some cash or a bad idea if the bike is dogged out. I noticed some of the bike shops are selling their rentals and I'm looking for a new bike. I'm not sure of the state of quality (do the renters lightly use them or do experts beat the crap out of them) but I'm going to head up that way in the next couple weeks to check the area out. Opinions?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    The decision point for me would be whether or not the manufacturer would warranty the frame for you. The other components are probably pretty well maintained by the shop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

All depends on the $$$$

Do some reasearch into what kind of bike you want, and what useds ones are going for on ebay/mtbr etc. I would guess that a demo bike from a shop would have more wear and tear on it then the average privatley owned bike. I don't really have anything to back this up its just what I think. It also depends on the demographic the bike is in. Most rental bikes are fairly low end stuff, so there is a good chance you could find a used one with pretty low hours that someone bought and did not really ride. People that buy high end bikes tend to ride them alot so they may very well be ridden more then a demo. I ride mine 5 days a week, and way more miles then any demo bike.
    Usually when I see demo bikes for sale I don't think they are a great deal, because the bike shop is trying to sell them for what they paid for them which is usually like 30-40% below the msrp, and they are already last years models that you can get new for 20% off the msrp. So its all in the deal for me. The warranty question is a good one to ask however.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Personally I would be careful.....most of those bikes are used on Porc, which beats bikes down.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    If you can check it out in person and know what you are looking at then go for it, otherwise I would be less then enthusiastic about the idea.

mtbr member

Some rentals are good buys

Some shops and ski resorts around (Cole, Solitude, etc.) sell off their rental fleets and from bikes I've seen friends buy it can be a good deal. When you think about it, the typical renter is someone who's not in to riding enough to even own a bike, how hard are they going to beat a rental. Tipping a bike over at low speed isn't going to hurt it. The cosmetic condition of a rental is probably a pretty good indicator of how good of shape its in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Castnblastut is right, hotel and resort rentals are usually treated well since their riders are not generally cyclists, Moab is different. Other then the National Parks, Moab’s only attraction is it’s trail system and people are going there to ride (be it ATV, Jeep, or bike). Unlike the resort renter, Moab’s renters are cyclists who chose to rent for whatever reason. There are tourists that rent a bike just for something different but if they are renting a bike in Moab chances are that it is not some out of shape tourist looking for a fat seat and a flat trail. They are looking for something that can take whatever Moab can dish out.

mtbr member
    Heh, I'll be renting a bike this week. Don't buy the one I rent.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    I've seen a lot of beat down Moab rental bikes. No way in hell I'd buy one, not unless the price was waaaaaaaay down there, to offset the inevitable problems and high likelyhood of no warrantee coverage.

Would you buy a used Whistler rental bike?
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gnslr
    Castnblastut is right, hotel and resort rentals are usually treated well since their riders are not generally cyclists, Moab is different. Other then the National Parks, Moabís only attraction is itís trail system and people are going there to ride (be it ATV, Jeep, or bike). Unlike the resort renter, Moabís renters are cyclists who chose to rent for whatever reason. There are tourists that rent a bike just for something different but if they are renting a bike in Moab chances are that it is not some out of shape tourist looking for a fat seat and a flat trail. They are looking for something that can take whatever Moab can dish out.
    That was the kind of info I was after. I wasn't sure if they were ridden hard or if people regularly bought used rentals. Also no one posted about actually buying one of them. I'm leaning towards a Blur LT2 and may go rent one to make sure I'm happy and if the price isn't right them I'll just buy a new one. Thanks for the replies.

mtbr member
    We saw this Giant Glory DH bike used for $2500 at Chili Pepper. No scratches on the stanchions, very minimal scratches on the frame and no dings. Bearings were tight, tires were new 2.7 Kenda Nevs, cranks had scratching only at the bottom... Size medium. It had a Fox 40 RC2.
    If it was a small, we would've pulled the trigger...
    If you are buying a used bike in Moab, it pays to shop around and look for the bike with the least damage/wear..

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The rental fleet bikes are numbered. The shop should have a record of exactly how many days it was rented out.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Hell no. Porc Rim eats bearings for breakfast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can speak from experience. I bought a Stumpy from Rim Cyclery. At the time, it was at a price point I could afford. It was one of the best bikes I have ever owned. My friend bought an Enduro from them a couple years ago. He still has it and it works great for him.

Your experience may vary.

Members who have read this thread: 2