Burro DH > Hazard > Koko > UPS > LPS > Porc Rim times- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Burro DH > Hazard > Koko > UPS > LPS > Porc Rim times

Ok guys and gals, some advice about riding times please!

I'll be down in Moab from Vancouver in early October and was wondering about mixed ability group riding times.

My objective this year is the full-fat Burro DH > Hazard > Koko > UPS > LPS > Porc Rim epic. My group includes two strong riders (me and another) who want to do the full ride. We've also got a not-so-strong rider who, I'm thinking, could join us at the end of the Hazard section.

We'll probably have a fourth person to shuttle the stronger riders to the top and, if possible, the third rider to the end of Hazard.

So, a couple of questions:

How long does it take to drive from Moab to Geyser Pass?
    Is the road passable (assuming co-operative weather!) in a smallish SUV/4x4?
    How long would it take to drive from Geyser Pass to the La Sal loop road @ the end of the Hazard trail?
    How long does it take to RIDE Burro DH & Hazard?
    Is there much climbing below the Hazard trail?

For info: we live at sea level so are fully expecting to be pushing up anything remotely steep @ 10,000ft +. We aren't XC race whippets
    I've ridden various trails in Moab before so, technically, I don't think we should be too challenged as the North Shore (tm) is our back yard. I'm doing this for the flow and the scenery, not the gnarr Having said that, I'm sure we'll be stoppng for plenty of photos

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Anyone????

Ok, maybe I'll make it easier...

Could anyone give a rough idea how long it takes to ride from the Burro DH trail head/drop off point to the end of Hazard?

An hour? Four hours? Just after some sort of indication!!!

Thx

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    OK, here's something for you to think about. From getting dropped off at the Hazard trailhead (not Burro) it was 3 1/2 hours of ridetime to town. The last few miles of riding 128 was into a 40 mph headwind...as was the entire ride. And we didn't do Upper Porc which adds quite a bit of time.

On a lighter note, if you park at the bottom of Porc and ride UP to the Castle Valley overlook, then turn around and bomb down...it's still about 3 hours roundtrip.

Road is driveable to the Burro dropoff point in my Toyota 4wheel drive truck. I don't know if I put in in 4wheel but it's not really a jeeping road. There isn't much climbing after the start of Hazard but it's still a lot of riding and getting beat up. If your third is out of shape and doesn't know Moab, even Hazard to town is gonna be a tough ride. He might want to just get dropped off at the tanks on Salt Flats to do just the Porc DH.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    Depending on how long you take to climb to Burro pass from the drop-off point and how much you stop along the way for rest and pictures, etc, I'm thinking it'll take somewhere around 2.5-3.5 hours to get from the drop-off to the bottom of Hazard. I think it took us around 7 hours to do the whole Enchilada last fall with a fairly big (but strong) group and plenty of stops for pics and goofing around on techy bits.

There's not a ton of climbing from the bottom of Hazard down..... but there are some upturns in the trail in several spots.... and like someone else said it can be a very strenuous downhill ride for a rider whose fitness or technical skills are lacking.

I don't know about drive times as I've only taken the shuttle.... but it seems like it took about an hour to get to Geyser pass from town.

Burro Down = One of the best rides ever. Have fun.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Guys: thanks for the heads up.
    At least I know of a couple of bail-out options. The less strong rider can bail out at serveral points and just descend Sand Flats Rd back into town.

I'm sooooo looking forward to this. The trail map is now a screen saver on my PC!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    There's not a ton of climbing from the bottom of Hazard down..... but there are some upturns in the trail in several spots.... and like someone else said it can be a very strenuous downhill ride for a rider whose fitness or technical skills are lacking.
    Just to clarify, there is more climbing than you'd think. Koko has a couple of short climbs. UPS/LPS has one stiff climb after the notch - walkable if needed - and lots of just pedaling up short bursts. Actually the hardest parts are after the overlook on Porcupine - it rolls for miles, with some significant pedaling. It can definitely wear out a less experienced rider, and can be surprising/frustrating for anyone expecting to just shred downhill at that point. Not to mention the beating you take pedaling 'downhill' the rest of the way. It's a physically demanding ride, and one of my favorites. Good luck with the Burro bit, I've wanted to do that for a long time.

mtbr member
    UPS is still closed (I think)
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crager34
    UPS is still closed (I think)
    The deadfall and signs have been removed, but it's never really been "open". I would never be one to encourage the riding of illegal trails, so I'll just say that if you accidentally take a wrong (right) turn after the cattle guard, I certainly wouldn't hold it against you if you kept going.

The Whole Enchilada is a killer ride, well worth it. I would recommend taking your time, getting water at Warner, and packing some real food. It's worth saving a little energy since that ride really isn't complete without an all-out assault of the final singletrack into Jackass Canyon.

More Chasmism

Bottom of Burro to bottom of Hazard coming from sea level is going to take at least 3 hours. The DH below Hazard is very pedally as others have noted, and speed intensifies the thrill to such an extent on the rough dirt road sections of Porc that your heart rate will stay high pedaling.

For what its worth, I actually consider Moonlight --> Oowah Lake --> Warner Lake --> Hazard Down to be a better ride than Burro Down. You get to start off going downhill right from Geyser Pass, and the total climb from Oowah to Warner and Warner to the top of Hazard is slightly less (and much lower) than the Burro Pass climb alone! Moonlight has a longer season than Burro (which can get late Sept snow and mud), extends the descent somewhat more (though adds some pedalliness), and is far more scenic and varied IMHO.

Hope that helps.

hfly

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Can this ever be done in November? Last year we got dropped off at the top of UPS in practically a snowstorm in early October... I'm gonna be out in Moab during the first week of Nov and I've wanted to ride Hazard forever!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by andykrow
    Can this ever be done in November? Last year we got dropped off at the top of UPS in practically a snowstorm in early October... I'm gonna be out in Moab during the first week of Nov and I've wanted to ride Hazard forever!
    Yep, did top of Hazard down the first week of November last year. Depending on weather of course. It was perfect when we did it 45-50 up top 60-70 near the bottom. We will be up there the first week again this year maybe we will see you on the Coyote!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Porc shuttle might be more likely, it's like 10 bucks cheaper... There'll be a big crew of us out there from nov 5 - nov 12...camping at Bartlett...drink some beers with us if ya want

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfly
    For what its worth, I actually consider Moonlight --> Oowah Lake --> Warner Lake --> Hazard Down to be a better ride than Burro Down.
    hfly
    Hummm. I'll have to consider that. But I reeeeeaaally liked the section from Burro Pass to Warner Lake despite the killer climb to get there.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    just answer the question of shuttle time to geyser pass from town, its between 50 and 60 minutes. we made it up there in a rental car to retrieve the truck so your small SUV should be fine assuming dry roads. I would say its 20 to 30 minutes from Geyser back to Hazard. It took us in the neighborhood of 6.5 hours from geyser back into town. Be prepared for it to be upto 20 degrees colder at geyser than it is in town.

Members who have read this thread: 0