bunker creek?- Mtbr.com

Thread: bunker creek?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

bunker creek?

looking at trails to ride when i come to utah in august. is bunker creek still a viable trail and good to ride rigid ? or will i need the fully for this one? so far rides planned are thunder mountain, navajo lake, jem, and a few techy trails in santa clara. zen,asazi,etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I don't have a rigid bike

So maybe my opinion is a little less valueable then someone that rides rigid alot. However if you can ride those other ries rigid and have a good time you should have no problem with bunker creek. Its pretty smooth for the most part, but does have bumpy high speed sections that I think would suck ridgid but there is no reason you could not do it. So Yes Bunker creek is still around and can be ridden rigid, but I woud think it would be more fun with some suspension.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

I'd rather be biking...
    Navajo lake, and Navajo lake down to deer haven campground via Virgin river rim trail is pretty smooth for a rigid bike nothing gnarly or rocky comes to mind, just buff goodness. I've seen rigids on bunker creek before... but hey it would be more enjoyable with some cushin for the pushin. you'll still get to enjoy the views and trail just at slower speeds. Thunder mtn and cassidy trail is also pretty melow for a rigid bike and should be for the most part pretty dang smooth. have fun

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Agree with Shelbster. Rigid's probably fine for most things, but hard to really rally Bunker and Zen without a full sus. . . well, unless you don't mind your fillings rattling loose and your taint looking like it went a few rounds with Mike Tyson. . .

Plus if you bring a dual, you can hit up Dark Hollow AND Bunker Creek easily in a day and maybe add in Blowhard if you have the time/legs/lungs.

You're on vacation, after all

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Plan on doing thunder mtn.,bunker,navajo in one day. Prob bring both bikes and hope one will be safe in car.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I wouldn't do Bunker Creek on a Rigid.
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtazzy
    Plan on doing thunder mtn.,bunker,navajo in one day. Prob bring both bikes and hope one will be safe in car.
    Why are you in such a hurry? If it were me, I'd concentrate the time you're planning to spend at the places mentioned above around Navajo Lake/Virgin Rim Trail instead. You could ride the rigid all day out there. I'm jealous of you anyway

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bunker creek?-dscf8925.jpg  

I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    only have three days planned fri , sat and sun, driving from san antonio and need to start driving back sunday night to be at work by tuesday. its kindof a hardcore vacation but the wife said go and I haven't seen my bud in three years . leaving wed to drive to st. george.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Both Left and Right Fork at Bunker Creek are great rides. IMO to get the best bang for your buck on either, I would ride a dually unless you're planning on doing and out and back and need to conserve energy or whatever. As a shuttle (how most people ride it) you're really not doing much climbing other than an easy traverse to the trail head and then a fire road jaunt back out.
    Given how much those trails changed since all that rain back in '08 you might want to consider a full suspension bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0