bugs in may in Moab?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

bugs in may in Moab?

I'm sure this isn't the first time a question like this has been asked...thanks for your patience. Actually, let me take a second right now and say that I have seen a lot of threads about where to go in Moab and you guys keep responding quite kindly. It's attitudes like that that gives mountain bikers a good name.

now to the question

we are headed down the first of May. This is later than we have been down before and I was wondering what the bug situation looked like that time of year?
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

mtbr member
    i don't remember ever having to put on Off in Moab at any time of the year (and we've been down there in May a few times)...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Yeah, I can't remember bugs either. I camped right on the river in June and had to wear bug spray in the evening because of the gnats.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    i don't remember ever having to put on Off in Moab at any time of the year (and we've been down there in May a few times)...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have heard, that in summer there are some black biting flies that can be really bad up in the bartlett's wash area. We where in moab for a few days in July last year and I don't remember any significant bugs, but we didn't go up to the wash either. In march I've seen little I'm going to call them gnats around the campground but they don't seem to bite or really bother anyone.

As others have said though nothing that made me want or feel the need to put on bug spray.

For awhile I figured there were no significant bugs in all of Utah. That was until I camped last summer at willard bay state park on the shores of salt lake and was nearly eaten alive

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Ah yes, bugs in Moab

First off, I'm the guy in any group who the flies and mosquitoes head for, so maybe my experiences are a bit skewed but...

I judge my trips to Moab on many things, but three top criteria are: no wind, no rain and no bugs. They're called midges and they come out in force around the first or second week of May. I used to accept them as the price I had to pay to visit Moab, but then I found if I went in April or earlier they hadn't hatched yet! What a difference a bug-free trip was. A few years ago I was there in the third week of September and my favorite campspot was teeming with the little monsters. Instead of leisurely watching the sun set as I sat next to a canyon I had to put earplugs in to keep them from rushing into my ears! They love to do that to me. Into my nose and eyes I can handle.

So now I plan my trips to avoid the midges. Fourth week of April at the latest in spring and first week of October at the earliest in fall. If someone posts a comment that they've never noticed the bugs they haven't had them attack them like they do me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Biting Flies

There are some nasty biting black flies that come out in May near creeks. You won't find them on Porcupine except perhaps at the very end, or on Slickrock, but Flat Pass, Hurrah Pass, Bartlett, Onion Creek, the beginning of Klondike, or anywhere else low and wet might have them. They keep you moving!

They disappear when it gets hot. Other than that, just a few mosquitos and gnats. Man, if you are bothered by a few gnats in the ears, I recommend just staying above treeline. Is there anywhere else that doesn't have some kind of bugs?

BTW, in the creepy crawly category, there are scorpions, tarantulas, big roaches and Praying Mantis(coolest bug ever) there, too. I didn't believe the Tarantula thing until I saw one with my own eyes on the Loop Road during the Moab Century a couple of years ago.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Don't forget the man eating kangaroo rats they are thick in the campgrounds!

On that note of all the times I've been to moab, I have yet to see a scorpion, snake, praying matis (which would be super cool) etc. So far it's been fox, birds, rabbits, kangaroo rats, cows, deer, and those little 3" lizards that run all over.

Additionally, last summer (now this may just be something they tease tourists with) one of the mountaineering gear shops in town told us that we should stay alert hiking in the la sals of bear, and if we see one with a red or orange tag give it a very wide berth. According to this person many problem bears from other areas are transported to the la sals, hence the tag.

It seemed kinda strange to me since the area is such a tourist trap, to be a place to put problem bears, but ya never know, we did see a lot of bear sign hiking up there, but no bears, and no one was eaten.

Members who have read this thread: 2