Buckskin Gulch - Bike needed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Buckskin Gulch - Bike needed

So not exactly bike related, but sort of.

I'm in Vegas next week (May 15-May19) for a wedding, and May 16th I'm planning on heading up near Kanab, UT to hike Buckskin Gulch, which I've heard is fantastic.

The problem is, I'll be by myself, though I'm sure there will be plenty of other hikers there. I'm not staying over night as I couldnt get a permit, so trying to do it in one day.

The shuttle is $75 for a car load, which I guess is okay, but the shuttle is only about 15 miles. I was wondering if a local would be able to help me shuttle from one trailhead to the other in the morning, or I was also considering picking up a cheap bike shaped object from craigslist and doing the dirt road ride myself.

Anyone ever done this? Opinions? am I insane?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Found something with wheels in north Vegas a guy is going to let me use.

This trip might start out like 127 hours but I hope it doesn't end like it.

mtbr member
    Curious how it went? It's a nice long grade in +90F to get from the Paria Trailhead to the turnoff to House Rock Valley Rd.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    maybe the trip did end like 127, & he don't wanna talk about it
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If it did end up like 127 hours....he's still there.

mtbr member
    That's probably about right. 2 days for Wire Pass to Buckskin to the confluence and one day north on the Paria to hwy 89. The bike ride would take a couple of hours.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Ha! No, it wasnt too bad. My friend ended up bailing on me so I didnt get the bike.

The original idea was to get to the Whitehouse trailhead, leave the car, then bike to 89 then down Houserock Valley rd to Wire Pass.

Sucks. So I just parked at the Wire Pass trailhead, hiked to Middle Trail and back out. I think it was about 14 miles total in about 6 hours. I think I was reading that from Wire pass to white house can be done in about 13 hours.

Kind of glad it worked out this way because I would have pushed myself way to hard and I had a late start to the day anyways. Theres always next time!

The slot canyon was absolutely amazing. Probably one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Met a lot of people on the hike as well and shared some great stories. One couple was going to hike antelope Canyon the next day as well.

The upper air temp was 86F that day and it was maybe 10F cooler in the canyon with a light easterly breeze, so I could not have picked a better day. The canyon has not seen water in many months so it was bone dry and the infamous cesspools were almost all completely dried up.

On the drive back to Vegas I swung through Zion, which is probably my favorite place on Earth right now.

I'm working on getting some pictures and video up right now.