BSL trail construction. Comments needed.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

BSL trail construction. Comments needed.

Just received this e-mail from the District Forest Ranger asking for comments on this project. Sounds like something we want (although I'll admit I didn't read the whole thing). Do the locals have some input before I send off my letter?

Dear Interested Party,
    On March 29, 2010, Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest (UWCNF) Supervisor Brian Ferebee signed a Decision Notice (DN) authorizing the construction/reconstruction of the Bonneville Shoreline Trail in Salt Lake County on National Forest System (NFS) lands. The Decision authorizes approximately 11 miles of trail on NFS lands only. An Environmental Assessment (EA) has been prepared that documents the environmental analysis conducted for project. The EA, DN, and the Response to Comments (RTC) are attached. The EA, RTC, and DN are also available for review on the UWCNF web page under the “Land and Resource Management” section under “All Projects.” www.fs.usda.gov/uwcnf. We are encouraging interested parties to review the documents electronically to help save paper, though CDs or hard copies of the EA, RTC, and DN are available from the Salt Lake Ranger District by request at [email protected]. or by calling the contact listed below. Please feel free to forward this announcement to others who may have interest in the Bonneville Shoreline Trail.
    Thank you for your involvement with the management of the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest. If you have questions or need additional information, please contact Steve Scheid at (801) 733-2689 or [email protected], or contact the Salt Lake Ranger District at (801) 733-2600.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    This from the BST Committee -

Bonneville Shoreline Trail Committee News Release

The U.S. Forest Service has released its Decision Notice (DN) authorizing the construction/reconstruction of the Bonneville Shoreline Trail (BST) in Salt Lake County on National Forest System (NFS) lands and its Environmental Assessment (EA) supporting its decision. The Decision authorizes approximately 11 miles of trail on NFS lands only, but the EA supports the construction of approximately 27 miles of the trail from Parleys Canyon to Sandy.

The Bonneville Shoreline Trail Committee (BSTC) is excited about this event which is the result of more than four years of work. The BSTC raised more than $130,000 in private and public donations to support the effort and wants to particularly acknowledge the support of Kay and Zeke Dumke Jr., Salt Lake County and the work of Bear West Consultants on the EA in achieving this major milestone for the BST.

This means that we will soon be able to build new trail in Salt Lake County. The first projects to get off the ground will likely be at the north and south ends of Olympus Cove and in Sandy from Bell's Reservoir to the current terminus of the BST at Hidden Valley Park. Let's build some new trail!

mtbr member
    That's great news! This has been several years in the making and thanks to everyone who helped make this happen. This gets us all closer to having a truly epic trail right in our own back yards! Quick question though: It looks like the trail alignment is routed through several areas of designated wilderness. Any idea of how bike access will work along these sections of trail?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Wow, this would be a huge improvement for a lot of SLC residents. I've always thought a lot of areas along the bench would be sweet places to live except for their poor access to trails - basically lower Foothill area down to Mill Creek to Sandy. Thanks for the update.

mtbr member
    I support. The BST in Ogden is one of my fav trails...I'd love to have even more trail in SL.

dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Does anyone know the timeline on this construction?

Members who have read this thread: 0