Rideable yet???? or still too wet???

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by bfree
    Rideable yet???? or still too wet???
    +1 Good question....Anyone?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    +2

(fingers crossed for dry in a few weeks or less. . .)

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    My brother's actually heading up there this weekend (he owns a cabin a couple of turns below the resort). He's pretty optimistic that most of the (non) resort trails will be dry and rideable. I guess I'll find out Sunday night when he has cell reception again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I took the Salt Lake to St. George flight the other day, and it looked there was still a lot of snow up there, at least around the resort. But, it's not like I had a good look from the air.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Check out the Brian Head webcam. Looks like the resort is pretty dry.

When you're done with that, head on over to www.buttsl#ts.com and check out their web cams. Freakin' awesome!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Still a lot of snow in the trees from what we understand.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Little bro called this am. There's some snow patches here and there and a little on the peak where most everything good starts. Said it was hit or miss on most everything up high but expect to carry your bike every now and then and if you don't care for that, maybe wait a week or so to let it dry out a bit more. Or ride the Boy Scout Loop pedalfest. He said that was pretty much dry.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    +2

(fingers crossed for dry in a few weeks or less. . .)
    Are you okay for finger crossing? I guess that's far enough from the hips, but try to avoid anything off-axis.

Team Sanchez
    The lifts and bike park open on the 27 of June. I bet it is still pretty sloppy at the peak and down most of Dark Hollow or Bunker or Blow Hard.

mtbr member
    has anybody actually been out there yet? I'm thinking of riding there in a week if its dry enough
    07 Mongoose Black Diamond Double
    custom Giant STP

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Are you okay for finger crossing? I guess that's far enough from the hips, but try to avoid anything off-axis.
    Oh, don't worry. . . no racing. Just trailbike stuff (Timberline, Bunker, Dark Hollow, blah, blah).

BTW - any updates on this thread? Does the shuttle really not get going till June 27th also? Anybody know any other good spots to ride in the area that wouldn't be baking hot at the end of June?

NMBP
    Anybody know any other good spots to ride in the area that wouldn't be baking hot at the end of June?
    Navajo Lake, and the VRRT.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I should clarify.

Any rides not up very high and that would not be too hot. . .

The forecast is looking like more of the same for the next week and beyond. I'm wondering if anything in the Brianhead area will be opened up after this week. :-( Maybe it will be cool enough to ride Goose, Little Creek, other Zion stuff?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Little bro called this am. There's some snow patches here and there and a little on the peak where most everything good starts. Said it was hit or miss on most everything up high but expect to carry your bike every now and then and if you don't care for that, maybe wait a week or so to let it dry out a bit more. Or ride the Boy Scout Loop pedalfest. He said that was pretty much dry.
    So he rode all the trails, or just heard what the deal was from locals, or what? I guess I'm specifically wondering if the road up to the peak is open to drop off for Dark Hollow, and if he got to ride that trail (or Bunker Creek or Blowhard) specifically.

BTW - you should totally get the Jizzam!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    So he rode all the trails, or just heard what the deal was from locals, or what? I guess I'm specifically wondering if the road up to the peak is open to drop off for Dark Hollow, and if he got to ride that trail (or Bunker Creek or Blowhard) specifically.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Yeah, he rode all the trails in a day. He's pretty core.

From the Horses Mouth as of last Saturday:

Dirt road to the peak is dry. Backside of the peak had some snow drifts in the shade that were close to getting dry. No one has been out to clear any trails yet. Resort looked pretty dry with only some small snow patches in the shade from what he saw.

Rode Boy Scout Loop as a whole and there were a lot of downed trees.

Wifey wouldn't shuttle his fat ass, so he didn't drive over to Blowhard area.

Thinks you'll probably run into a small snow drift or three at the beginning of the Bunker Creeks (Left and Right Fork @) and probably a ton of downed trees on the lower sections

So bring your booties, shovel and chainsaw and get up there and clear that sh#t out of there so I can come down and ride it.

Heard a rumor that Go-Ride is going to stock the JIZZAM! I'll order one if it comes in sparkly purple with a slightly flared, uncircumsized head and they can keep the weight down below 450 grams.

Werd.
    Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 06-10-2009 at 12:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'll order one if it comes in sparkly purple with a slightly flared, uncircumsized head. . .
    Kosher meat only, huh?

Thanks for the info. Now get back to your push-ups.

Lone Wolf McQuade
    We're heading up from Vegas to ride Bunker Creek starting from the Hamburger Shack in Panguitch to the peak and back down. From reading the previous post it sounds like it's gonna be messy!! We'll head over to Navajo Lake on Sun, It's probably going to be more of the same. Oh, well, it'll be nice to be in some trees anyway

Matt
    I should be out riding....

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by beagledadi
    We're heading up from Vegas to ride Bunker Creek starting from the Hamburger Shack in Panguitch to the peak and back down. From reading the previous post it sounds like it's gonna be messy!! We'll head over to Navajo Lake on Sun, It's probably going to be more of the same. Oh, well, it'll be nice to be in some trees anyway

Matt
    My lord, pulling my pubic hair out with tweezers while listening to Hootie and the Blowfish sounds more fun than pedaling up Parawon Canyon.

Last year Left Fork At Bunker Creek was really washed out and rough. I was bragging to some friends who went down there with me about how buff that trail was. Turned out all the rain washed the top soil away exposing every football sized rock known to man. Still, that's one of my favorites down there especially considering they can't make up their mind about Dark Hollow. Old Dark Hollow, New Dark Hollow, Re-Issue of the Old Dark Hollow with modifications, Dark Chocolate Hollow With A Cherry On Top.

You may get lucky and have a clean ride. Sure will beat all the rain and crap we've been getting up here.

Edit: Dark Chocolate Hollow With A Cherry On Top is not a real trail, unless you live in my head. If you do, then please pick up your candy wrappers after riding this trail so as to not clutter up my mind any more than it is.
    Have to add that disclaimer so the ADD kids don't go getting their panties all up in a wad about some new, fancy trail.

Lone Wolf McQuade
    [QUOTE=slcrockymountainrider]My lord, pulling my pubic hair out with tweezers while listening to Hootie and the Blowfish sounds more fun than pedaling up Parawon Canyon.QUOTE]

I like Hootie!

NOT Team Sanchez

have you tried the Hendriksen Lake version?

My lord, pulling my pubic hair out with tweezers while listening to Hootie and the Blowfish sounds more fun than pedaling up Parawon Canyon.

Last year Left Fork At Bunker Creek was really washed out and rough. I was bragging to some friends who went down there with me about how buff that trail was. Turned out all the rain washed the top soil away exposing every football sized rock known to man. Still, that's one of my favorites down there especially considering they can't make up their mind about Dark Hollow. Old Dark Hollow, New Dark Hollow, Re-Issue of the Old Dark Hollow with modifications, Dark Chocolate Hollow With A Cherry On Top.

You may get lucky and have a clean ride. Sure will beat all the rain and crap we've been getting up here.

Edit: Dark Chocolate Hollow With A Cherry On Top is not a real trail, unless you live in my head. If you do, then please pick up your candy wrappers after riding this trail so as to not clutter up my mind any more than it is.
    Have to add that disclaimer so the ADD kids don't go getting their panties all up in a wad about some new, fancy trail.

It's a variation on Dark Hollow that is super super steep and rooty, It's my fave of the possible choices.
    I like bikes.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    It's a variation on Dark Hollow that is super super steep and rooty, It's my fave of the possible choices.
    I don't know if I have or not as it's gotten a bit confusing up there with all the beetle infestation rerouting going on.

The last ride I've done on any of the DH's was on a new section that had a bunch of tall boulders right along the right side of the trail at rear derailleur height. My 'little' brother's derailleur fell victim. It was pretty much cut in a straight line off the older/newer DH. I don't really remember many roots, but it may just been because I was overly focused on avoiding those rocks.
    We did hit a new trail in the vicinity that someone had cut recently and then he and his father-in-law bastardized and ran a spur off of to the back of their cabin. It was fairly steep and loose dirt. Not rocky at all. We just sort of stumbled upon it by accident and had to do a bit of route finding on it as the direction became a bit muddled at some sections. It was pretty fun though as the dirt (black dirt) was so soft, but not the dusty soft we get up north.

Lone Wolf McQuade
    It's all good up there! We rode Bunker Creek up and down the weekend of 6-21-09 and it was all clear with just a few muddy spots. There was a shuttle van sitting down at the Panguitch Lake hamburger shack so they're running shuttles from Brian Head I think. We camped and rode the upper Navajo Lake loop, there are 2-3 down trees in the trail but I'm sure they'll get cleared.
    The trails are damp and you can corner on rails right now. Be prepared for mtn weather, it's sunny,raining, sunny, hailing, sunny, windy, sunny, raining and that's all in the first hour It's all good!!

Matt
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Wahoo!!!! I guess I know where I'm headed this weekend!!! thanks for the beta!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I should clarify.

Any rides not up very high and that would not be too hot. . .

The forecast is looking like more of the same for the next week and beyond. I'm wondering if anything in the Brianhead area will be opened up after this week. :-( Maybe it will be cool enough to ride Goose, Little Creek, other Zion stuff?
    Thunder Mountain is ready.
    agmtb

Members who have read this thread: 0