Brian Head Trail Conditions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Brian Head Trail Conditions?

Does anyone know the current trail conditions of the trails around Brian Head? (Blow Hard, Dark Hollow, etc.) Are they still snowed in? Any reports of dead fall?

I'm thinking about a trip 2nd weekend of June. But if the area is still snowed in or very muddy I would look elsewhere.

thanks.
    b

ay Diablo!
    It still looks snowy.

Check the web cam link out:

http://www.brianhead.com/web_cam.htm
    "You know me, I'm too lazy to carry a grudge". Sid the Sloth

Carnaval Dominicano
    http://carnaval.com.do/

mtbr member
    May 2004
    2nd week of June is too early this year for trails originating off the peak. Maybe a slight chance of Blowhard being rideable (?). If the weather stays warm, Navajo Lake and large portions of the Virgin Rim should be O.K. If I can get up there, I'll let you know how conditions are.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Update

I tried riding the west end of the VRRT on Sunday. I parked at Woods Ranch and biked up the Jeep road. The road would be impassable in a truck with a few dead falls and snow banks - but no problem on a bike.

From the TH and beginning of singletrack, I made it less than a mile before things got too soggy. I back-tracked and took the Webster Flat road around to the east where it intersects the trail and was able to ride on the trail for a few more miles with plenty of deadfall. I ended up turning back because of time constraints, not because of poor conditions.

I would guess you could probably make it to Navajo Lake with a few soggy spots.

It looked like quite a bit of snow on Blowhard Mtn. as well.

Anyway, if anyone is thinking about a trip to the Brian Head area, I would put it off for awhile and go to Thunder Mtn or Gooseberry.

mtbr member
    Planning on going up on the 4 of July weekend Coming up From Phoenix . Should be dry and ride able by then dont you think?
    JRA

mtbr member
    May 2004
    There is still plenty of snow up there. I know the VRRT near Navajo Lake currently has plenty of drifts. But it is finally acting like summer around here, so things will melt out quickly.

I think the resort is still planning on opening June 28th. But I doubt everything will be completely dry and snow-free by July. I would call the folks at Brian Head before your trip and inquire about the conditions of the trails you plan on riding.

Mar 2008

Vrrt

About a week ago I tried to ride the bunker creek trail and it was completely snowed out, about 4 feet snow on trail still (in the trees).

We opted to instead ride the top part of the VRRT from Cascade Falls up to Strawberry Point, and besides a few small patches of snow it was passable.

If you choose to ride the VRRT on top, be carefull there were 3-4 trees down on the trail, and lots of new saplings crossing the trails that whipped something fierce.

I spoke with the FS and they plan on having the trail cleared fairly soon, within a week or two.

I wouldn't try Blowhard yet, its pretty high 10,000 feet or so, and Dark Hollow is probably still a little iffy. The mountain had a lot of water this year, and its just starting to dry out.

Hope this helps

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by tk421onthemic
    There is still plenty of snow up there. I know the VRRT near Navajo Lake currently has plenty of drifts. But it is finally acting like summer around here, so things will melt out quickly.

I think the resort is still planning on opening June 28th. But I doubt everything will be completely dry and snow-free by July. I would call the folks at Brian Head before your trip and inquire about the conditions of the trails you plan on riding.
    I rode Navajo Lake loop on Saturday (6/14/08) and it was ridable. Maybe 20 snow piles across trail and 4 or 5 large trees. The little Aspen saplings growing right next to the trail gave me a good beating.

Photo was taken from Sydney Valley overlook (top of Bunker Creek) on Sunday, looking towards Brianhead and Sydney Peaks. Still some snow on the mountain.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

land magnate

... and if we just ... Lifts Are Open At Brian Head

RAN A FEW TIMBERLINES AND RACE COURSES
    A FEW TEN TO TWENTY YARD SLABS OF SNOW SOFT LOAMY SOIL OF TRACK
    HARD PACK TRAILS WITH THE EXPECTED ROCK GARDENS
    DID A LITTLE TRAIL CLEAN UP FOR SOME OF THE BIG STUFF
    THEY DID GREAT JOB GETTING OPEN SHOULD BE A GOOD SPRING
    HEAR THAT THERE ARE SILL SOME SNOW PATCHES IN SOME NORTH FACING SLOPES AND CANYONS BUT DRYING QUICK WAS 80 AT AROUND 5:00 PM
    SHUTTLES ARE RUNNING FOR BLOWHARD AND DARK HOLLOW I THINK BUT CHECK THEIR SITE FOR MORE http://www.brianhead.com/

WOW JEDI
    WOW CANFIELD
    WOW BRIAN HEAD
    WOW SINGLE TRACK
    WOW JEDI

HAHA HAHa HA
    IS ALL I COULD DO
    AS THIS JEDI ATE UP THE TIGHT SPRING SINGLE TRACK
    DROPPED THE RAMPS LIKE THEY WERE TRANSITIONS
    GOBBLED UP THE ROCK GARDENS LIKE IT WAS BEING STARVED,
    AND NAILED ANY LINE PUT IN FRONT OF HER,
    THANKS CHRIS AND LANCE CANFIELD MY JEDI IS PHENOMENAL!

________
    Attached Images Attached Images
    live, love, learn, & balance gravitational alteration along the excursion!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

trail conditions??

anybody can tell me if the trails are snow free by now?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by lokomonkey
    anybody can tell me if the trails are snow free by now?

They're good to go. Lifts are running. I rode Dark Hollow and Bunker Creek twice each last Thurs & Fri. Trails were in prime shape. Go get 'em!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    thanks a lot!! can't wait, just came back from a week in ''north star'' and I want to see if that made me better

Members who have read this thread: 0