Brian Head questions- Mtbr.com
    tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004

Brian Head questions

Will be in Duck Creek mid July.
    Me and my buddy are from Los Angeles, and have ridden the area a handful of times.

My question is in regards to trails in the area. We will be riding the usual suspects; Dark Hallow, Bunker Creek, Blowhard and the bike park, just wondering what other trails one would recommend within the Cedar Breaks/BrianHead/Duck Creek area?

thanks in advance for any info you can pass my way,
    -tep
    oldmanjusthavingfunontwowheelsurbandirtandroad

mtbr member
    It's well worth the short drive to Cassidy/Losee, Thunder Mtn, Virgin Rim.

Southern Utah High Plateau Trails

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004
    Norman thank you for the reply and the link,

V.R.R.T. is a possibility, but our concern is the altitude. Coming from sea level, I hear it's quite a bit of pedaling at elevation, and in all due honesty I'm not too sure if we are up for the lack of oxygen…….though it is on our list, hopefully within in the next couple of years.

We usually ride Thunder Mtn followed by hiking a half day in Bryce. We are trying to stay more in the Cedar Breaks / Brian Head area this time…..would you happen to know anything about the C trail??

-tep

mtbr member
    Of the 3 trails I mentioned, Cassidy/Losee is my favorite.

C trail is fine in my opinion. It's not on my "must frequently repeat" list.
    Nothing special, but not a bad trail.
    Drops a good bit of elevation.
    Worth a shuttle.
    Minimal payoff when done as a loop.
    Worth it if investment of time and effort can be minimized.
    Good trail for Cedar City locals.

mtbr member
    If your staying in Duck your only a 10 min drive from Navajo Lake. I know you mentioned altitude and oxygen debit for a sea level dweller but consider doing the basic loop around the lake. It only climbs 200', is pretty, and there will be lots of wildflowers. Park at the Dike TH.

When you get to the Te-Ah campground the short climb starts. If you and your group are feeling good then rather than dropping down the Lodge trail to the lake, consider climbing up to Navajo Peak and riding the short section of VRRT to where the Dike trail drops back down to the lake. That makes a 13 mile loop. In a counter-clockwise direction the climbing is never too steep and the views are worth the effort.

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004
    thank you both for the insight and info, if you don't mind I have just a couple more questions.

Norman, what is it about Cassidy/Losee that keeps you coming back? I can't seem to get any sort of feel what the trail really is about from the Utah Mountain biking website. We would like to stay in the b-head area, but not opposed to finding a great trail….and if not this time, we'll probably do it next time.

rockman, I really do like the Najavo Lake loop as an option for our day. Question for you, if we want to start at Strawberry Point and link it to Navajo Lake, is it worth the extra drive? How much more climbing will we be taking on? How does the scenery compare, to just doing the Navajo lake loop, and probably most importantly how are the descents?

-tep

PS: have you guys heard if that Brian Head bike park is operating on limited lift service? If so, maybe we'll have to pass on it, and ride both VRRT and Bryce area!!

mtbr member
    Tep, you double your mileage and triple the climbing by doing a point to point from Strawberry Point to Te-ah campground. ~20 miles and 3000' gain. The initial stretch from Strawberry to Lars Fork Rd isn't too exciting (some of the trail is an old 2-track) but once you climb back up to the rim it's all worth it. I would say it's worth the extra drive but you're going to need a shuttle. It takes awhile to drive out to Strawberry Point.

As for Cassidy and Losee I concur with Nclydesdale. Cassidy is more of a backcountry trail and is a different user experience. You really feel like you are out in the middle of Bryce. But the trail is not easy and has several short climbs that will be HAB for most. It was never routed or laid out with bikes in mind. In contrast, Thunder Mountain is a highway and much faster and easier to ride. Losee gets pounded by the horse traffic but is a sweet romp down a canyon. The big ride is to go up Casto and take Cassidy over to the paved pathway. Climb that and do Thunder Mountain. That's a 30 mile loop. Might be a bit much for your group. My 2 cents would be to park at the bottom TH for Thunder Mtn and climb the pathway (unless you can shuttle). If you want more after Tmtn then climb up the pathway again (but only a mile or so), hang a left on Cassidy and then a left again on Losee and it's a fast, big chainring descent down the canyon.

If you do ride Cassidy from the south (ie., hwy12 TH) don't take the first left on Rich Trail. Stay right and then fork left to go up to Brayton Point. My 2 cents.

I you don't have it already pick up Gregg Brompka's excellent book on the area. It's now 15 years old but the trails and loop options haven't changed much. Mountain Biking Utah's Brian Head, Bryce Country by Gregg Bromka | 9780962437434 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble
    Last edited by rockman; 07-03-2014 at 10:48 AM.

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004

Brian Head questions

Rockman thanks again for the info. We actually have two vehicles, so VRRT is definitely a possibility. I driven out to Strawberry Point, it is a way, I will agree to that....and the view from there is quite picturesque. Maybe we'll just have to slog it out on the climb. Sounds like it might be worth it. Great tip on the book, I will see if I can find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tep View Post
    thank you both for the insight and info, if you don't mind I have just a couple more questions.

Norman, what is it about Cassidy/Losee that keeps you coming back? I can't seem to get any sort of feel what the trail really is about from the Utah Mountain biking website. We would like to stay in the b-head area, but not opposed to finding a great trail….and if not this time, we'll probably do it next time.

rockman, I really do like the Najavo Lake loop as an option for our day. Question for you, if we want to start at Strawberry Point and link it to Navajo Lake, is it worth the extra drive? How much more climbing will we be taking on? How does the scenery compare, to just doing the Navajo lake loop, and probably most importantly how are the descents?

-tep

PS: have you guys heard if that Brian Head bike park is operating on limited lift service? If so, maybe we'll have to pass on it, and ride both VRRT and Bryce area!!
    The Cassidy/Losee trails and roads are pure adventure with some great sections of single track. There's much more to do in that area than just the listed Cassidy/Losee loop.
    I often like to ride the jeep roads above Cassidy and descend Cassidy instead of the traditional loop that has you going up Cassidy.
    For a great ride, combine both Cassidy/Losee or Cassidy/Casto and Thunder Mountain. Do it as a figure 8 and have lunch/hydration at the trailhead halfway through. It will feel like a big day, but the mid ride lunch break provides a bail out option or renewed motivation.
    As mentioned, Losee sees lots of horse traffic, so Casto can often be a much better option.
    I like Casto/Cassidy in any direction.