mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Brian Head - Looking for Suggestions

I somewhat impulsively booked a trip to Brian Head over the last weekend of September (next weekend). Looking for a reasonably cheap destination for a solo trip with a dog, within a day's drive from San Diego, Brian Head was my winner. Growing up in the 90's, I'd see amazing pics of riding in Brian Head in magazines and always wanted to visit. I imagine the fall colors will be spectacular, although I anticipate some cooler weather. However, in looking into trails and trail maps, I am not finding a lot of info.

I booked the trip before I searched for riding trails, and now I am having a little trouble finding much riding info on the area. Everything seems to point to the resort (I'll be staying across the street), which is normally fine, but I think it'll be closed that weekend. Can anyone offer trail recommendations or steer me to a good source to find them? Would the bike park be open for riding if the lifts are closed?

As I said before, this is a solo trip. I am bringing my dog and have a comfortable Airbnb. This isn't necessarily a biking destination trip for me, as I can occupy my time with hiking, fishing, and such. So I am not looking necessarily for epics, just some better info on trail riding than what I was able to find on MTBProject and the resort trail maps. I can also bring a road bike if there's not a ton of singletrack. My dog does well on the trails, but I'll likely leave her in the Airbnb for the few hours I will be out riding.

I'm sure the question will come up, so in advance, I like all types of riding. Will be bringing my trail bike, a Yeti SB4.5.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    There is a lot of fun riding in the Brian Head area. Look into trailforks.com or utahmountainbiking.com for some good information on all the trails in the area. Most of the trails that I have ridden in the area, outside of the resort, involved a shuttle, Dark Hollow, Bunker Creek North and South, Blowhard Mountain. Georges in Brian Head offers a shuttle service, not sure if they would still be running this time of year though. Navajo Lake is half hour south of Brian Head and has some good fun trails around the lake and multiple access options for the Virgin River Rim trail with some pretty spectacular views.

Moderator Moderator
    How many of the trails survived the fire?

-Walt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    How many of the trails survived the fire?

-Walt
    All the trails survived the fire. The forest... not so much.

It did snow hard up there last week, I'd say that the OP's trail plans are a bust.

Moderator Moderator
    If the fire killed the forest, you probably will lose the trails within said forest within a year.

If you cook the soil, you kill it. Then it's hydrophobic, and with no living plants/roots to hold things together, erosion gets pretty nuts.

But hopefully some stuff will survive. I haven't ridden there in 15 years but I have lots of good memories.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Dark Hollow and Bunker Creek were both closed after the fire and still are AFAIK. Blow Hard was untouched. We rode it in August and really enjoyed it. Also Navajo Lake area and up to the Virgin River Rim are really nice options too, but like Can't Get Right said this snowstorm this past couple days may have closed everything for the season. Supposed to warm up and dry out this next week so you might be OK, but not sure who to check with to find out.

The new trails down in Cedar City will be good to go and are only 30 minutes from Brianhead though not the high alpine experience I suspect you were looking for.

utahmountainbiking.com is the best source for Utah trail information.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Dark Hollow and Bunker Creek were both closed after the fire and still are AFAIK. Blow Hard was untouched. We rode it in August and really enjoyed it. Also Navajo Lake area and up to the Virgin River Rim are really nice options too, but like Can't Get Right said this snowstorm this past couple days may have closed everything for the season. Supposed to warm up and dry out this next week so you might be OK, but not sure who to check with to find out.

The new trails down in Cedar City will be good to go and are only 30 minutes from Brianhead though not the high alpine experience I suspect you were looking for.

utahmountainbiking.com is the best source for Utah trail information.
    I rode Navajo yesterday. They didn't get any snow. The only snow on the drive up there was in Cedar canyon been Cedar campground and Websters Flat.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk