Brian Head Enduro- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Brian Head Enduro

This looks like it might be fun.

I wonder how you "get yourself back up" for the last three stages. There aren't really any good return routes other than the road are there? Are they routing folks back up the highway or do you arrange your own shuttle.

Anyone signed up? I like that they have a 50+ class. Tired of racing against all those kids.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    The real question is has anyone ridden up there in the last decade? I live 45 minutes away and haven't. The last time was when I raced Super D in the 2005 NORBA Nationals.

mtbr member
    It sounds like they will be using the lifts?

Just an observation but having ridden Dark Hollow and Bunker Creek in the mid 90s it's amazing how clapped out those trails are two decades later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    It sounds like they will be using the lifts?

Just an observation but having ridden Dark Hollow and Bunker Creek in the mid 90s it's amazing how clapped out those trails are two decades later.
    What does clapped out mean? The trails aren't stricken with gonorrhea are they?!?!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    probably like Holly's trail at Canyons. Yikes! Musta been nice years ago.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    probably like Holly's trail at Canyons. Yikes! Musta been nice years ago.....
    Left fork and right fork of Bunker Creek were one to two feet wide and buff with hardly any rocks or tree roots. Now they are blown out in corners, 4 to 6 feet wide, and an eroded mess. Still quite fun to ride but old school trails that are largely fall line and have routing issues. But that's just my opinion. A lot of trails are like that in the arid southwest.

mtbr member
    Left fork and right fork of Bunker Creek were one to two feet wide and buff with hardly any rocks or tree roots. Now they are blown out in corners, 4 to 6 feet wide, and an eroded mess. Still quite fun to ride but old school trails that are largely fall line and have routing issues. But that's just my opinion. A lot of trails are like that in the arid southwest.
    So these aren't fun trails to ride any more? I've only ridden Left Fork of Bunker Creek of the three and that was 17 years ago and it was as you describe for the most part. Although I remember it was reasonably rough and rooty in a few places, with a few off-camber sections trying to send you down into the creek bed..... though keep in mind, I was on a '97 steel hardtail at the time with a crap Judy fork.

Never ridden Blow Hard or Dark Hollow but seems like they are highly spoken of..... or has that changed lately? Is the apparent lack of interest in this race due to folks wanting to race groomed flow trails or are these really sucky trails now?

Please advise before I send money to enter.
    Last edited by KRob; 07-14-2015 at 04:09 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Nah, they're still fun to ride. Not sure about the race. It would be nice to know the route I guess. Paradise and Dark Hollow are fun for sure. I was just responding to what piousinquisitor posted. IMO, the erosional tech is a good test of bike skillz; especially if there is some uphill pedaling even if it's between stages to weed out the dh bikes. Just bored at work today...get after it KRob

mtbr member
    IMO, the erosional tech is a good test of bike skillz;.....get after it KRob
    Erosional tech. Nice descriptor. I know exactly what you're talking about and we get quite a bit of that around Ely with most of our trails being old moto routes that follow fall lines. I should feel right at home.

Chilcotin or 27.5 Endorphin (if it's hear by then)?

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    KRob - Talk to the guys at Over The Edge In Hurricane. A lot of their shop rides go to Brian Head during the summer months to escape the heat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEUT View Post
    KRob - Talk to the guys at Over The Edge In Hurricane. A lot of their shop rides go to Brian Head during the summer months to escape the heat.
    Ah, good suggestion. In fact, I'm close enough I could even hook up with them for a Brian Head OTE shop ride maybe one of these Saturdays before the race.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    So these aren't fun trails to ride any more? I've only ridden Left Fork of Bunker Creek of the three and that was 17 years ago and it was as you describe for the most part. Although I remember it was reasonably rough and rooty in a few places, with a few off-camber sections trying to send you down into the creek bed..... though keep in mind, I was on a '97 steel hardtail at the time with a crap Judy fork.

Never ridden Blow Hard or Dark Hollow but seems like they are highly spoken of..... or has that changed lately? Is the apparent lack of interest in this race due to folks wanting to race groomed flow trails or are these really sucky trails now?

Please advise before I send money to enter.
    I think people may not like Dark Hollow and the Brian Head area because there are actual rocks on the trails and they aren't groomed "flow" trails. I don't know the exact stats but on Dark Hollow you drop a significant amount of elevation in a short distance, while going through semi-nasty rock gardens. Dark Hollow is one of my favorite trails so I'm not sure why there isn't more love. Any time I am passing through the area I try and hit that trail. The only downside to Dark Hollow is that you have to take a fire road back to the main road for a few miles.

While I haven't done Blow Hard in talking to another rider with similar taste, he says it is just as fun. Plus Blow Hard gives you nice views of Cedar Break type rocks. Also, there are two fairly nasty trails off of the Giant Steps lift which has you going down loose shale rock sections and rock gardens. I'd say if you are an old school downhill rider then you will love the Brian Head area. But there isn't much in the area in terms of jump lines.

Just beware that Go Ride has their downhill race and Super D race the week before so the trails could be pretty trashed if no trail maintenance is done. But I wouldn't hesitate riding/racing there, and would have ridden Dark Hollow this past week if I could have found a shuttle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalsoul View Post
    I think people may not like Dark Hollow and the Brian Head area because there are actual rocks on the trails and they aren't groomed "flow" trails. I don't know the exact stats but on Dark Hollow you drop a significant amount of elevation in a short distance, while going through semi-nasty rock gardens. Dark Hollow is one of my favorite trails so I'm not sure why there isn't more love. Any time I am passing through the area I try and hit that trail. The only downside to Dark Hollow is that you have to take a fire road back to the main road for a few miles.

While I haven't done Blow Hard in talking to another rider with similar taste, he says it is just as fun. Plus Blow Hard gives you nice views of Cedar Break type rocks. Also, there are two fairly nasty trails off of the Giant Steps lift which has you going down loose shale rock sections and rock gardens. I'd say if you are an old school downhill rider then you will love the Brian Head area. But there isn't much in the area in terms of jump lines.

Just beware that Go Ride has their downhill race and Super D race the week before so the trails could be pretty trashed if no trail maintenance is done. But I wouldn't hesitate riding/racing there, and would have ridden Dark Hollow this past week if I could have found a shuttle.
    thanks for the input. That was kind of my impression of Dark Hollow and Blow Hard from the vids and descriptions I'd seen over the years. That's OK with me, I like that kind of trail too. Are there enough flat or uphill sections to justify taking the shorter travel bike as opposed to the 6" bruiser?

OTE was actually going to do shuttles there for their shop ride this past weekend but I think they got rained out. I saw a weather alert Friday night so opted to stay home. If they have another shop ride up there before the 22nd I may go.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm not really sure of the race route, but in order to get to Dark Hollow you will have a relatively flat sprint in order to get to the trail head. Then you will turn down the actual Dark Hollow trail that starts off with a nice rock garden. I can't remember the exact number of climbs, but based on my memory I remember at least two. One of which is a really short, but quick steep uphill section. I've done the trail on both a downhill bike and also a 4 inch travel bike. The downhill bike was hands down the most fun while not giving up much. If it were me I would be taking the 6" "bruiser". But you may want to check out the other routes to see how much climbing vs DH there will be. You can for sure do Dark Hollow on a shorter travel bike. But if you have smaller rotors on that bike your hands may let you know by the end.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    There is also a nice climb just before the Sidney Valley overlook on Bunker creek. It is after the Dark Hollow turn off. Depending on where it ends, there might be another uphill at the end of Bunker. It's not really steep, just long. I hated it as a kid.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Here is the right fork of bunker creek: https://www.strava.com/segments/2179198

dark hollow: https://www.strava.com/segments/1824434

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I would say dark hallow is a fun trail to ride but an exceptional trail to race.

Never been on bunker creek, but all accounts are the same as above.

The Brianhead lift trails I have ridden are fun too, fast and rocky, but good flow.

Very much looking forward to this race. I hate to come into an unknown with high expectations, but the trails being raced should put it in the same level as FTB as one of the best in the western U.S. I guess it's up to the promoters to pull off the logistics.

I will only ride my 5" bike over my 6.5" bike it there is more than 4-5000 vert of climbing.it is for sure heavy duty tire territory. Don't be afraid of dh casings, I will be on 1050g tires front and rear.

mtbr member
    I sent Rapid Cycles a message asking for some course clarification but haven't heard back yet.

Good call on the tires. I'll go heavy duty.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Interested to hear what they say.

They sent me a lame reply about "spirit of enduro means no course info until a week before the race". I replied I just wanted to known the riding distance and vert, no reply.

Either way the trails will be super fun. Looking at the map, getting from bunker to dark hallow isn't all that awful. I don't mint pedaling ~2500vert from the bottom of dark hallow back up to brianhead, but that seems kinda silly to do in a race while riding on a paved road.

mtbr member
    Yeah, they gave me a similar response with a few more hints but still pretty vague. Not sure what the harm in giving more info about transfer distances and anticipated amounts of climbing. Maybe they feel that will give away the timed descents ( Not like that's any big mystery). I'll cut and paste his response below.

I'm with you, it sounds like fun and I also agree that an enduro should have some significant climbing to get to the timed sections. I'm in and will most likely sign up this week.

"Hello Kent, thank you for the questions. In tradition of Enduro Racing we wont be releasing the exact race route until the August 8th. In our rules for the race you can not arrange your own support to get back up to the start of a stage. We will be managing transition stages appropriately. There will be two transition stages that you will have support (provided by rapid cycling racing) to get to the next timed stage.

I hope that helps. I have been trying to stay in the rules with not telling people the race route. I can answer more questions after August 8th. I can tell you that the climbing wont be terrible. You also will be pedaling around at 11k in elevation. That is the beauty of Brian Head Peak."

Jordan Bracken

Race Director

Rapid Cycling Racing

(435) 229-5397
    Last edited by KRob; 07-26-2015 at 10:48 AM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Sounds like they are going to shuttle riders from the bottom of Bunker and Dark Hollow to Giant Steps so you can ride to the top from there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PiousInquisitor View Post
    Sounds like they are going to shuttle riders from the bottom of Bunker and Dark Hollow to Giant Steps so you can ride to the top from there.
    agree and perfect, thanks krob

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The course route is up at rapidcyclingracing.com.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    STAGING

Start and finish will be at Brian Head Resort at the Giant Steps Lodge. The course gives you a taste of back country and Brain Headís MTB Park.

1st Transition Stage - Will be riding the Giant Steps lift to the top of Giant Steps and riding the Marathon Trail to the Sidney Peak Trail intersection then on to Bunker Creek TH. The Transition will be 5.5 miles with a 612 feet elevation gain.

1st Stage - Top of Bunker Creek left Fork to the bottom of Bunker Creek Intersection; a 2.1 mile course with a 17 feet elevation gain. Fast and Technical.

2nd Transition Stage - Bottom of Bunker Creek to the shuttle point provided by Georgeís Bike Shop in Brian Head. Transition will be 5.4 miles and 212 feet of climbing. This transition will bring you back up to the top of Brian Head Peak. Then you will transition from there to Signal Peak for the next stage.

2nd Stage - Top of Dark Hollow (Signal Peak) to the intersection of Lowder Pounds. This Stage is 3 miles and 77 feet gained.

3rd Transition Stage - Lowder Pounds Trail intersection back to Brian Head Resort. This transition is 7.8 miles and 1461 feet of elevation gain. This is the longest Transition and the most technical. The transition will take you on back roads and fire roads that are not trimmed or maintained.

3rd Stage - Navajo Flow Run

4th Transition Stage - Bottom of Navajo to Giant Steps and up the lift to the last transition.

4th Stage - Giant Steps Timberline Run

Maps: Brian Head Enduro Maps ? Rapid Cycling Racing

Seems a bit underwhelming to me. Or are all enduro races like this one?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I think it looks great. I'm pumped for it
    Last edited by KO21; 08-08-2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Sp

mtbr member
    Looks good. Should be fun. There's a reasonable amount of climbing to keep things "enduro" without getting crazy and a good mix of bike park and back country stages. I'd prefer more single track back country climbing for the transitions for an enduro (big loop) and longer timed stages, but yes, this is the way most enduros are going. Venues are limited by the terrain on hand and what the FS will let them use.

So the transition from the end of the Left Fork Bunker creek timed stage is back up the right fork, I assume?

What can you tell me about the Navajo Flow Run? Anybody ridden it? It doesn't show up on utahmountainbiking.com's map of Brian Head bike park.

This map I found on Brian Head's web site doesn't show it either although I did find this description in a news release from Brian Head.
    Last edited by KRob; 08-10-2015 at 03:49 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Looks good. Should be fun. There's a reasonable amount of climbing to keep things "enduro" without getting crazy and a good mix of bike park and back country stages.

So the transition from the end of the Left Fork Bunker creek timed stage is back up the right fork, I assume?

What can you tell me about the Navajo Flow Run? Anybody ridden it? It doesn't show up on utahmountainbiking.com's map of Brian Head bike park.

This map I found on Brian Head's web site doesn't show it either although I did find this description in a news release from Brian Head.
    No, the transition is from the end of the stage to Panguitch Lake. It's mostly downhill.

Going up right fork would be a very unpleasant ride to say the least.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PiousInquisitor View Post
    No, the transition is from the end of the stage to Panguitch Lake. It's mostly downhill.

Going up right fork would be a very unpleasant ride to say the least.

Oh, gotcha. I misread that. They'll pick us up at the shuttle pickup point at Panguitch Lake.

I just saw the link to the maps Rapid Cycles posted.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    So did anybody race? Was it any good? How were the trails and transition stages?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk