Brian Head Area Advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Brian Head Area Advice

Headed to Brian Head area for a couple days this weekend. Looking to put together a few epics. I'd like to ride Cassidy, Losee, Casto, and Thunder Mtn in the same day. What direction would you folks suggest I put this together. I'm also looking for suggestions for 2 other 30-40 mile rides in the area. It looks like Brian Head's trail network is quite extensive. Do I just head out and get "lost"? Would you suggest I ride to the top or take the lift (I don't mind climbing)?

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by suffer fest
    Headed to Brian Head area for a couple days this weekend. Looking to put together a few epics. I'd like to ride Cassidy, Losee, Casto, and Thunder Mtn in the same day. What direction would you folks suggest I put this together. I'm also looking for suggestions for 2 other 30-40 mile rides in the area. It looks like Brian Head's trail network is quite extensive. Do I just head out and get "lost"? Would you suggest I ride to the top or take the lift (I don't mind climbing)?
    I would park at the Red Canyon Visitor's Center. Ride down Highway 12 and do Losee clockwise to Cassidy, ride Cassidy out to Highway 12, ride the bike path and dirt road up to the top of Thunder Mtn, down it and back up to the Visitor's Center. Skip Casto unless you like a trail that has been pummeled to death by ATV's.

Lots to ride around Brianhead. Do Lowder Ponds, then Bunker, down left and up right, without a shuttle. Go around Navajo Lake then parts of the Virgin River Rim Trail.

There is very good trail info here: http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by suffer fest

I second the motion for Virgin River Rim Trail.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    how is Brianhead gonna hold up to all the T-Storms of late? Is it gonna be hella muddy?
    There is a pretty big group coming up from SoCal to ride Sat and Sun. Then most of the group will be riding Thunder Mt, Castro... on Monday.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by rodel
    how is Brianhead gonna hold up to all the T-Storms of late? Is it gonna be hella muddy?
    There is a pretty big group coming up from SoCal to ride Sat and Sun. Then most of the group will be riding Thunder Mt, Castro... on Monday.
    It should be fine. Might be some puddles and mud here and there. It's a desert here so unless you are riding in the middle of a monsoon downpour, it doesn't stay wet very long.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    It's a desert here so unless you are riding in the middle of a monsoon downpour, it doesn't stay wet very long.
    I wish it were as easy as that, but several of the trails in the Brian Head and St. George area are infested with clay which is a bloody mess when wet and impossible to ride in. If there is any sign of rain stay away from Blow Hard and the Thunder Mountain trail complex.

NMBP
    I have friends that rode Blowhard yesterday, trail was damp, not muddy. Today Navajo Lake and VRRT were nicely damp with the occasional small puddle of mud. I'll stick with what I originally stated. The trails dry out nicely unless you are in the middle of a monsoonal downpour, or if it has been raining hard for days. We are still toasty hot here, so everything dries out.

Members who have read this thread: 0