bobsled defeaturing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

bobsled defeaturing

Out trail running (foot) last night (x-training for mucky conditions) took a drop down the bobsled... the step up to platform and following shoulder booter were very recently half way "destroyed".
    it unfortunately seems to be a part of the scene.

s'ok, --rebuild time !
    bigger, faster, stronger, better

Chumley for prez!
    well that sucks.... How about the stuff lower down by the cars?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    --oh sorry, everything else is still ok and looking sweet.
    ( except the river running down the upper to mid section )

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I saw that a couple weeks ago.
    I was pretty bummed about it too.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Sorry, that was me. I spent most of the winter drinking chocolate milk and watching Rock of Love. I tried to clear the step-up and instead of getting any air, I just pushed the whole thing over with my massive body weight. The second feature was destroyed after I rolled over the lip and into the double coming to a stop in the middle.

Hmmm....that's not cool. You know last year I wondered how that lower section, right before the car would go over to the average person as it seemed like more than a few people would come around that blind corner and hit the deck with that funky triple. However, it seemed to flow a bit more with the changes earlier this year to a table-top of sorts.

With the exception of that feature, most every other 'stunt' is off to the side of the original trail and really shouldn't interfere with those of the old school mentality and want to just skid down the thing on their hard tails.

Oh well. Could just be some kids bored with what's on TV and thinking that destroying something made of wood and nails makes them anarchists.

I just hope it's not some bitter trail runner or hiker who took offense at 100 people not yeilding to them running up the thing over and over. Last thing we need is California-style bike trail sabatoge with fishing line and hooks strung across the thing.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I spoke with my neighbor last night and he rode the Bobsled late Saturday and said the step up was fine. The only thing that was a mess was the double right after it simply because it was really muddy and people had been trying to ride it and messed it all up.

Which isn't that surprising given how new and soft the dirt was on that feature.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ya, i am suprised at pbandj saying he saw it couple weeks ago ^^... i was riding it more recent than that and it was ok.
    This wasnt just mud tracks. They layed logs across the booter up, took down the retaining on the landing and there were obvious shovel marks where they dug up as much as they could.
    The first half the step up platform was broken apart and layed back on the second half.
    This was as of Sunday afternoon.

anyway, done is done. just gotta find the time on a good day to get up and repair.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I wonder if it's the wood features? I've talked to the Deer Valley patrollers a lot about new features. They say the law protects them from lawsuits where somebody gets muckled on Bedrock Drop or Niagra, but if the feature is "clearly manmade" then they are liable.

Maybe all dirt features or mostly dirt features are the way to go. They look "natural". Either way, destruction of this trail is gonna bring people out of the woodwork for sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    That sucks to hear. Who's up to rebuild better/stronger????

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    I wonder if it's the wood features? I've talked to the Deer Valley patrollers a lot about new features. They say the law protects them from lawsuits where somebody gets muckled on Bedrock Drop or Niagra, but if the feature is "clearly manmade" then they are liable.

Maybe all dirt features or mostly dirt features are the way to go. They look "natural". Either way, destruction of this trail is gonna bring people out of the woodwork for sure.
    I was going to post a very similar opinion when I first saw this thread, thanks for bringing it up. Don't get me wrong, I really like the step-up to wood landing. Fun feature. But I can't help but think features like that draw extra attention, and if they are not built with weather treated wood and well maintained they might cause more trouble than they are worth. Having said that though, I do realize it sounds crazy knowing all the features built over/around/with rusty cars....

I can't wait until the weather clears and things dry out, I need my Sled fix real bad. That dry spell several weeks ago and the many hours I spent shedding the sled just made me want it more....

B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    I was going to post a very similar opinion when I first saw this thread, thanks for bringing it up. Don't get me wrong, I really like the step-up to wood landing. Fun feature. But I can't help but think features like that draw extra attention, and if they are not built with weather treated wood and well maintained they might cause more trouble than they are worth. Having said that though, I do realize it sounds crazy knowing all the features built over/around/with rusty cars....

I can't wait until the weather clears and things dry out, I need my Sled fix real bad. That dry spell several weeks ago and the many hours I spent shedding the sled just made me want it more....

B

I hear ya on the wooden features, but this one wasn't even "in the trail" I can understand peoples frustration when features are installed with no go around in the traveled portion of the trail. But, u really had to know where the landing/step up was to hit it. Hopefully just a couple of bored teenagers thinking it was a cool thing to do.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

bummer

Damn. I heard different reports of the step-up/booter in various conditions, but "old dirt" had a pretty definitive description of the destruction. It sucks, because a few friends and I built that stuff last spring in the rain and mud, then came back in the summer/fall to add the big landing after the booter--all of which took considerable effort.

I guess it's to be expected that the stuff gets messed up, not only from people learning how to ride new features, but as well as those that hate fun and just want to ruin a good time for others. Obviously, the former is not ideal, but easily accepted as they eventually learn it's good form to maintain the features they mess up; but the latter is a total loss. There is no rational argument. If you see one of these f*ck3rs around and you don't want to risk jail time by punching their lights out or running over their bike, please at least let them know how much they suck (which is a lot).

That said, I'm going to try to get up there sometime while it's still wet and try to repair the booter and its landing--that jump was super fun because you could go 3 feet or 30 feet off it and still survive, so it' my main motivation. I'll take a look at the step-up, but chances are that if it's broken and bashed, it'll probably end up under a pile of dirt that will be a new step-up or rhythm section to set up for the booter. Anyone that wants to go out and build, please do--spread the word, too.

Those are just my ideas, but if someone has another vision and starts before we get up there, we'll just as willingly help with their project.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Major bummer, Some guys in our crew down here have ruined equipment and nearly gotten seriously hurt when dillweeds destroy our stuff.........We come cruising down trail we ride 3-4 times a week, and launch a blind drop to find the landing trashed is pretty scary and frusturating.......whomever has damaged our stuff seems to be aware of how to do the most damage, as they only tear down blind landings and never the take off into them
    I like bikes.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    First of all, I'm going to have to smack my neighbor. Kids, that's what pot will do to ya.

Second of all, that sucks the duck's nuts. Like was mentioned, none of those features interfered with Bob Sled proper. In fact if you're riding fast enough you probably wouldn't even notice they were there unless people were stopped and standing around.

Also, seems like a fairly harmless place to go crazy with stunts as it's not visually interfering with some photographic landscape. If those were up along the Shoreline, then I could imagine someone making a big stink about it a lot earlier on. However, no one seems to be complaining about any of the wooden stunts over at I-Street. *knock on wood*

Good on ya jerico1080, that was a great feature.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Come to think of it. Anyone remember the wooden stunts over by the Hogle Zoo entrance to the Shoreline? Those came down pretty quickly. You can still see the piles of wood laying in the grass if you're climbing up towards Research Park. I think that property is owned by the Mo Mo church.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by old dirt
    ya, i am suprised at pbandj saying he saw it couple weeks ago ^^... i was riding it more recent than that and it was ok.
    I saw it during that string of 70 degree days we had, probably 3 weeks ago. It wasn't near as bad as you guys are describing. The landing was fine, somebody just dug out the lip.
    Sounds like its a lot worse now. . . .

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Come to think of it. Anyone remember the wooden stunts over by the Hogle Zoo entrance to the Shoreline? Those came down pretty quickly. You can still see the piles of wood laying in the grass if you're climbing up towards Research Park. I think that property is owned by the Mo Mo church.
    Yeah, was just there Saturday. One of the drops is still there and fully hittable!! Cool area for sure and someone has built some VERY small jumps recently.....

I'd rather be biking...
    Major bummer, Some guys in our crew down here have ruined equipment and nearly gotten seriously hurt when dillweeds destroy our stuff.........We come cruising down trail we ride 3-4 times a week, and launch a blind drop to find the landing trashed is pretty scary and frusturating.......whomever has damaged our stuff seems to be aware of how to do the most damage, as they only tear down blind landings and never the take off into them

Members who have read this thread: 0