Bobsled - Bee Ware- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Bobsled - Bee Ware

Took a run on Bobsled last night around 6pm, bee's were extremely aggro. Pedaled from the Terrace up and got stung at the bottom, than halfway down Bobsled on my head (huge hornet got in between the foam and my forehead and got me good.) Right at one of the fastest sections as well. Had to rip my helmet off @ full speed. I then got stung at the exit onto the street. I was not moving slow by any means. Watch out. Pretty new in the area but have yet to experience this till last night. Is there a time of year when they get extra aggro?

Talentless Hack

I have....

gotten stung about once a week the last couple of months riding in the foothills. I got a wasp down my jersey that stung me in the armpit yesterday. Funny thing is I don't swell up anymore after being stung. Sucks, but now I'm used to it.
    Sierra Club Sucks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Your just making excuses

So you can get out of wearing a helmet.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Bummer... Not much to add but that is a fun trail....

The "bee hive state," my experience with bees around here is they are mellow usually..
    Attached Images Attached Images

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    Typical end of summer behavior for them. I think the lack of moisture also gets them mroe aggro. I've been stung a few times in the last few weeks as well. Last week I was driving at 60mph with the windows open and what I had thought was a piece of gravel that smacked my on the lip was actually a bee. It had settled on my shirt and was going to town stinging it over and over. Thank god I had some napkins in the door and was able to destroy it without wrecking. Intense couple of seconds.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    One flew in through the sunroof a couple years ago as my fiancee was leaning forward and in between her but cheeks. One little sting and out the front, luckily she was wearing a skirt Good times, we pulled over "just in case."

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    "just in case".... you crashed your car cause you were laughing so hard or what?! that is ridiculous!!!

also, wasnt there a big semi-truck that rolled over full of bees that all escaped around Echo somewhere? I have seen more bees this year than in a long time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I rode the bobsled twice last week, and didn't see any. Lucky I guess.

But I have noticed a lot other places. I have a skateboard ramp in my backyard, and they've built some crazy hives under it. My daughter got mobbed the other day.

mtbr member

two

I got nailed by two a couple of days ago on a lunch ride on bobsled. One near the bottom at full speed and one right as I got out to the road. I didn't feel them make their way into my jersey, but I sure felt them when they wanted to get out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hopefully they chill once we get some rain this weekend. Not going back up there till we do!

mtbr member
    Last spring I was cruising down Corner with my mouth open, whammo a bee flew right in it, before I could spit him out he stung me on the inside of my mouth. Man getting stung on a mucous membrane is not fun..My face swelled up something fierce. Luckily It was a pre work ride, so i went in and got some steroids that took care of it pretty good. (work in a hospital)

mtbr member

hornets

Weather doesn't seem to help. I got stung 4-5 times by wasps up at I street this afternoon after the rain. I'm pretty sure I didn't even dig up their nest this time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Bee's do not like me, I get stung all the time.

Members who have read this thread: 0