Bobsle......Lovin It!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bobsle......Lovin It!

So who works on the stuff up there? I'm loving the new jumps gaps and drops! I want to put some work into the trail is there a group of guys or anyone who wants to head up and work on the trail! Email me at [email protected] or text me at 203-615-1787......... I am up there all the time and got a flexibkle schedule lemme know!

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by Driverfound337
    So who works on the stuff up there? I'm loving the new jumps gaps and drops! I want to put some work into the trail is there a group of guys or anyone who wants to head up and work on the trail! Email me at [email protected] or text me at 203-615-1787......... I am up there all the time and got a flexibkle schedule lemme know!
    I hear its not ready. Are you riding it wet?

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=158182

B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    Yeah I have been, Its dry for the frist 100 ft then hits mud bout halfway down the trail and the lower half is totally dry. It looks like quite a bit of traffic has gone down its getting rutted out so I am going to lay off for a little while and wait for the drying. But the trail is getting sicker this year, new jumps nice gap, double car jump now improves every year........ soooo goood.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Features are money but the TRAIL IS NOT READY YET. I don't understand it, I heard people say they were doing multiple laps!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

By all means continue to build but I wouldn't advertise the stuff to much on the intrawebs as the trail is owned by the city I think?

And Please, wait until it dries to ride. I-street is sick right now!!!

mtbr member
    Husshhh....they creep up there in the dead of night, dressed all in black.

Roll up sometime in non-peak hours with a shovel and be discreet. When you are ready, you will be contacted.

biking is fun
    My dad rode the trail today and was complaining that someone is building stunts in the middle of the trail. he had said that there was a double before the first car gap that was hard to avoid.

i haven't seen it yet but if stuff starts getting built in the middle of the trail then its going to piss people off and soon everything will get torn down. i love the stuff up there as much as anyone but once people complain or even worse get hurt then it will probably all be gone and also it will hurt alot of the work that WAFTA is doing to get a good FR/DH rep out there.

just my opinion.... it seems that with stuff being torn down lately its not the best time to go overboard and build manditory stuff on that trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    My dad rode the trail today and was complaining that someone is building stunts in the middle of the trail. he had said that there was a double before the first car gap that was hard to avoid.

i haven't seen it yet but if stuff starts getting built in the middle of the trail then its going to piss people off and soon everything will get torn down. i love the stuff up there as much as anyone but once people complain or even worse get hurt then it will probably all be gone and also it will hurt alot of the work that WAFTA is doing to get a good FR/DH rep out there.

just my opinion.... it seems that with stuff being torn down lately its not the best time to go overboard and build manditory stuff on that trail.
    Agree, I think that double will be an issue for some. Of course it keeps turning back into woops from traffic

I got goated into riding it last week by people posting "woohoo bobsled" on the interweb and agree with others, SUPER WET for 1/3 of the trail and it's getting trenched from traffic. If you're not digging you shouldn't be there yet. I'm sorry for my stupidity and insensitive action. I will wait for an all clear.

stevelloydphoto.com
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler
    Agree, I think that double will be an issue for some. Of course it keeps turning back into woops from traffic

I got goated into riding it last week by people posting "woohoo bobsled" on the interweb and agree with others, SUPER WET for 1/3 of the trail and it's getting trenched from traffic. If you're not digging you shouldn't be there yet. I'm sorry for my stupidity and insensitive action. I will wait for an all clear.
    Oh, whaterver, you loved mud splashing on your face. Just admit it, you love ever minute of it.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

I totally agree with you and your father's sentiments about building stunts in the middle of 'Bobsled Proper.' Build the stunts off to the side so the guys too stubborn to drop their saddles to have a little fun can skid down the middle.

However, it kinda takes away from the argument when you're riding muddy trails and chewing them all up. I rode past the entrance yesterday around 1:30pm and saw a handful of kids doing laps on the thing. Given how muddy they were and the fact that there was still some mud in spots all along the lower Shoreline all the way over to the zoo, I'm guessing Bobsled wasn't dried out yet and ready to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    I totally agree with you and your father's sentiments about building stunts in the middle of 'Bobsled Proper.' Build the stunts off to the side so the guys too stubborn to drop their saddles to have a little fun can skid down the middle.

However, it kinda takes away from the argument when you're riding muddy trails and chewing them all up. I rode past the entrance yesterday around 1:30pm and saw a handful of kids doing laps on the thing. Given how muddy they were and the fact that there was still some mud in spots all along the lower Shoreline all the way over to the zoo, I'm guessing Bobsled wasn't dried out yet and ready to ride.

Thanks for saying that. Couldn't have said it better. I'm staying away for at least another week. What is it with UT riders and riding wet trail???

biking is fun

I wasn't actually riding bobsled. i haven't been on it this season even. my dad did and had ridden up dry creek and over to bobsled and thought that it would have been dry. he rode it once and that was it.

i do agree that the stunts are really fun and im not complaining because they are there. my dad and wife however aren't hitting double gaps all over the place. they do go all the way up every bank and enjoy that though. i would guess that 90% of the people riding bobsled don't hit the gaps and drops.

im just saying make it optional or someone will get mad and then we will lose all of them.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I wasn't actually riding bobsled. i haven't been on it this season even. my dad did and had ridden up dry creek and over to bobsled and thought that it would have been dry. he rode it once and that was it.

i do agree that the stunts are really fun and im not complaining because they are there. my dad and wife however aren't hitting double gaps all over the place. they do go all the way up every bank and enjoy that though. i would guess that 90% of the people riding bobsled don't hit the gaps and drops.

im just saying make it optional or someone will get mad and then we will lose all of them.
    Oh, I'm hearin' what you're throwin' down. And I think you're correct in your father's sentiments.

Build the stunts off to the side of the 'old' trail and leave it at that.
    Like I mentioned in another Thread earlier this year, I remember riding BS right before the snow started last year and before the car gap someone threw up an odd triple on the blind right hander. Myself and a friend stopped to check it out and watched rider after rider hit those things and go down.

Kind of a hard call. I like the fact that people are pushing their riding and building trails with dare I say it...berms!!!! But like with the whole bicycle commuter vs. car thing you can take things too far and actually do more bad than good. Take the retards on their fixies that pull out in front of a line of cars stopped at a light and attempt a track stand. I think it's great they are on bike rather than in their car, but if you look at the faces of the drivers they are just getting frustrated.

You do the same thing to guys/gals who've been riding Bobsled before (I'm assuming) the guys who have been digging up there balls dropped and their training wheels were removed adding stunts that are over most rider's heads right in the middle of 'their' trail. You're gonna piss some people off and get your wooden step up knocked down-or worse.

Same thing with the ongoing forever debate when the same jack-tards on their cookie cutter Specialized dime-a-dozen, helmet cocked back on their heads, Michael Bolton lost in the woods look on their faces who don't yield to trail runners, hikers or to a lesser extent, people on bikes climbing. It doesn't do us as bikers any good. Let's end up like California and have people hanging fishing line with hooks at eye level across our trails to make a point. I think not.

My two cents. Yes, I need to get laid.

And if you're one of the many people who think it's fun to ride down Dry Creek at 5:30pm, get all upset because there's a body every 5 yards and not yield to the masses of people climbing, don't start crying if you get shouldered off the trail.

Thanks, I feel better now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slloyd
    Oh, whaterver, you loved mud splashing on your face. Just admit it, you love ever minute of it.
    Actually No. I'm not a big mud fan in general, even if I didn't think it was wrong to ride muddy trails in Utah. Too much work to clean up afterwards, both the bike and the trail. I haven't been back since because it's not ready to be ridden and won't be for a few weeks. I can wait, there are other things to do around here

mtbr member

Flame on? I hope not.... is not my intention.

Before I get into my "counter point", I just want to say I agree with pretty much everything that has been said so far: Don't ride muddy trails, build new things off the main path, be a good mtb'r and show courtesy to other trail users. Oh, and yes, I'm a bobsled 'lover' too (and I hear the guv'nah also likes the trail, FWIW).

Let's face the facts though: This trail goes right through the middle of a springtime/post-rainstorm stream bed. The older (less fun) entrance was pretty dry/sketchy up top, the newer (more fun) one goes down the gully and is more likely to be wet and muddy. People have always crossed back and forth over the stream and getting john boy'd was part of the fun. This trail is probably the most popular trail in the SLC valley. Nobody really knows who the land manager(s) are for this trail, including me and I've looked to find out. And in the past 8 years I can only think of one thread that somebody actually said "we should go do some water control up there". I don't think any was done then, but I could be wrong (and am frequently).

I'm not saying this to start an e-argument, I'm just saying that no matter how much people say "don't ride it", people still will. They claim ignorance. They say the don't read the forums, don't see the signs, or think "one lap here won't hurt". Whatever rationalization people go through they justify their own actions. Or they simply don't give a **** (possibly because they are a "jack-tard on a cookie-cutter" and feel entitled to ride wherever, whenever they choose).

So, here we have a prime example of why land managers, IMBA, and (almost) everybody who builds and maintains trails always thinks of one word in trail design: Sustainability. The land managers can't watch every trail every minute, therefore they try to make sure it can stand on it's own. Bobsled will probably never, ever be a sustainable trail. Sure, some things could be done to help, but my guess is that of the tens of thousands of people who ride it every year (just a guess) probably less than 0.001% of them ever consider doing some work on it. And of the 0.001% who consider it, there's even a lower number of people who actually DO work on it. (*)

So..... should we have cause for concern for the trail? I think yes. What can we do? Probably not much. I guess I'll just wrap this thing up by saying I won't ride it until there's a given. And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming......

(*) - excludes stunts. Stunts are fun to build and don't count as 'work'.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I'm going to propose at the next Salt Lake County meeting that we use some of this excess stimulous money to hire some kids from Canada to come down and build a 15 foot high ladder bridge, complete with a see-saw stunt and rotating section over the wet parts.
    Of course it will all be built of 2x4's so only 1 or 2 people in the entire valley will be able to ride it.

Seriously though. It's impossible to avoid muddy trails all of the time, it just boils down to common sense. If it just snowed the night before and it's 70 degrees the next day, good chance things are going to be really nasty in the areas where water drains out of the foothills. Go practice casing jumps at I-Street for a couple of days and let things dry out a bit.

Late Edit: I just read a CDC report that Americans should stay away from airplanes, subways, public places, places of worship, schools and the Bobsled Trail as you are most likely to catch the swine flu in these areas. Go figure.

Rocker
    My .02 on bobsled, I have took my wife down it and my 53 year old dad. Both are not great mtb'r and had no trouble at all avoiding the obstacles! I say whoever is building them, keep them comin!!! (Keep the main trail clear for the xc guys and girls) I dont think any of them are in the way or un-avoidable at all unless you are blind or going over 60mph..
    Turn up the METAL and RIDE!

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Rode Bobsled yesterday afternoon. Conditions are near perfect. Only got caught up once or twice but did a nice roll on the upper section.

Kind of a b*#ch dragging a kayak up there, but it was definitely worth it.

biking is fun
    Rode Bobsled yesterday afternoon. Conditions are near perfect. Only got caught up once or twice but did a nice roll on the upper section.

ha ha ha ha

Dr. Pepper drinker

Damn, you weren't kidding! Rode it tonight, was a little concerned that there was a little water running in Dry Creek but great conditions (not to mention about a thousand other riders/hikers) on BST got my hopes up for Bobsled. Talked to several groups up top as they dropped in but no one had ridden it recently so I didn't know what to expect. Well the running water starts at the usual point on the new entry where that spring is and rather than stopping where it usually does, it continues all the way down to the 2nd gathering area where the little ladder drop is, probably 2/3rds the length of the trail is wet. On top of that, there is a nice 2-3 inch deep, 3-6 inch wide rut running that whole length of trail. Not a big deal when you are going from wall to wall but the straight sections get a little sketchy as you slide in and out of the rut. I don't remember it ever being this bad, might take a while before it gets filled back in whenever the water stops. Not sure if this is all a result of the people hitting it too early or if it's just a lot more runoff that usual. It wasn't nearly this bad when we had the warm stretch in March. I'll be avoiding it at least until the weekend after tonight.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member

disapointed

So it looks like someone hacked some of the jumps on on the lips. I dont think its wear from a few days worth riding,the jumps looks like it might have been deliberately beat up. That wooden feature sure is smashed to pieces..... I really feel if there is an obstacle and theres always a smooth B line around it...... whats the big deal? Its pretty much the same flow......Guess some people got their wish. To those hitting the gap jump dont even think about tapping the brakes cuz of too much speed your going to need it!

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Pretty much everything up and around there is torn up right now.

Decided to punish myself and do that fun little jaunt/sufferfest of a climb around Red Butte Gardens yesterday. The trail, or should I say highway given how wide that thing is, on the South side heading east right behind the construction, looks like there was a cattle drive that had taken place recently. About a 50/50 mix of shoes and bike tires. It's completely dry, but really chewed up. The backside was kinda fun though, albeit a bit more rocky than usual.

Reminded me of Kilian's Loop in early spring each year when the equestrians ride up it and turn those short/nasty climbs into quassi dirt stairs.

Too bad for the wooden features on Bobsled. I'm all for wood in the right places. In fact I've got some in my pants right now.

Werd.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Ok, I'm getting antsy here. I've seen the pictures and videos of this trail and I'm dying to give it a try! Does anyone know if it's ready yet?!

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride
    Ok, I'm getting antsy here. I've seen the pictures and videos of this trail and I'm dying to give it a try! Does anyone know if it's ready yet?!
    Rode it Thursday night and nothing has changed, still wet and the rut is still there. It's still rideable and fun but not quite as flowy as usual, and you will get wet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bobsled is still wet.

As far as a smooth B line around it, what makes someone think it is OK to put an obstruction in the middle of the A line just because there is a B line around it. The addition of the stunts has ruined the flow that the bobsled was famous for. It was smooth and fast, and now its choppy with tracks from different bikes going different directions, and has no flow. Just because its possible to slow way down and aviod an obstacale does not in any way mean it did not affect the trail. The Bobsled became a popular trail because it could be ridden at speed. What in the world would make someone think it is ok to alter a long existing trail just because there is a B line around it.
    Imagine if someone built a huge jump for thier car in the middle of state street and then said its ok because you can drive around it if you go over to main and then down a block and back to state. If you don't own the trail don't mess with it. If you want to improve a trail work with the agency that manages the land and make it happen.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    As far as a smooth B line around it, what makes someone think it is OK to put an obstruction in the middle of the A line just because there is a B line around it. The addition of the stunts has ruined the flow that the bobsled was famous for. It was smooth and fast, and now its choppy with tracks from different bikes going different directions, and has no flow. Just because its possible to slow way down and aviod an obstacale does not in any way mean it did not affect the trail. The Bobsled became a popular trail because it could be ridden at speed. What in the world would make someone think it is ok to alter a long existing trail just because there is a B line around it.
    Imagine if someone built a huge jump for thier car in the middle of state street and then said its ok because you can drive around it if you go over to main and then down a block and back to state. If you don't own the trail don't mess with it. If you want to improve a trail work with the agency that manages the land and make it happen.
    +1
    So many of these people posting here turn a blind eye to what's happened to the bob, but wait until someone starts to "improve" the maple hollow trail, then you'll see many of these same people freak-out.
    Just my .02

Homer's problem child
    Yeah, I don't ever want any trail I ride to change. I don't want any new features that allow me to progress my riding skill. I just want to go ride the same lines on the same trail everyday over and over again........

I personally think Bobsled flows better and is able to be ridden faster with the changes that have occured in the last 2 seasons. The improved/added berms, re-routes and loose rocks that have been cleared make it even easier to ride the main lines faster. Excluding the run-off rut $hit-show that is the top half of Bobsled currently. I rode it for the first time since the March dry-spell yesterday and was super happy with the features on the bottom half, but at the same time I was super dissappointed with the state of the upper half due to the run-off rut and the riders that have obviously been riding it for the last several weeks before it is ready. I don't plan on riding the upper half for a while until it is dries out a bit more.

I personally ride both the new lines and the old original line depending on which bike I'm on and I think all the options are great. I think having a trail like Bobsled that has options for every level of rider is a huge benifit to the riding community and am thankful to the people that have done all the trail work. This trail has allowed me, even encouraged me, to become a better rider, and for that I feel very fortunate to have such a trail so close and easy to access to play on.

My $0.02
    B

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    'Rode it with a buddy Thursday - for me it was the first time. I thought it was great; love the huge wall-rides. There was some water once you get into it, but big deal - conditions are conditions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New skill's New trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    Yeah, I don't ever want any trail I ride to change. I don't want any new features that allow me to progress my riding skill. I just want to go ride the same lines on the same trail everyday over and over again........
    B
    I love that you assume that everyones riding should progress in the same way as yours, and everyone should change to be more like you. If you want to progress your riding skills how about you ride a more difficult trail. How about you get inolved and build new trails that can challange your ever evolving skills. The sense of entitlement you have is impossible for me to understand. Why do you think you should decide what skills need to be worked on, and what trails need to be progressed. What if we progresed the Bobsled by closing the access road from Terrace hills meaning the only way to get onto it would the 1300 Foot climb from either City Creek or Dry creek. What if we progressed the Crest trail by closing access to it from Big Cottonwood canyon meaning you could either climb to the top of it from Millcreek or from PCMR. My point is that progress is different things to different people and its inconsiderate to change something that everyone uses just becuase you like it better another way. BTW I am not suggesting that closure of any part of any trail is a good thing just trying to point out that different people like different things.

The Condition of the bobsled is heart-breaking to me. I don't think it will ever be single-track again. There are holes dug everywhere, and the trail has become 5 feet wide. Also in many places the original line simply does not exist anymore. Someone dug a Hole in the middle of it, and everyone starting slamming on thier brakes and skidding around the hole in multiple directions making the whole thing resemble a bowl of spagetti.
    Please Please Please keep the single track single.

I will say however that 2 seasons ago when someone first starting working on the bobsled I was grateful that somone cleaned off some of the old berms that had become overgrown and made it possible to ride out of the loose crappy wash. I saw this more as a restoration as they just cleaned up what was already there.

I did not post on this thread for a long time because it really pisses me off that people have no respect for the way something is and just decide they can do whatever the hell they want and the rest of us can just take the B line if we don't like it. I do not want to be in a XC vs Freeride debate that is pitting us against each other, We all love the same sport and want the same things which is to be able to ride our bikes for that sweet hour after work and before the sun goes down. One of my favorite things about cycling is that everyone that rides bikes is cool, and it helps friendships bridge gaps that would normally remain. I have friends that are 15 years older then me which were it not for cycling I would never get to know. I have been on group rides with very conservative mormons and guys that drink whisky from thier camelbacks at the same time, and everyone gets along because we are all just doing what we can to get to the top of the next hill. How many times have you thought "I did not think I was going to like mr/mrs X because they ........., but we have been on some great rides together.

PM me

Homer's problem child
    I love that you assume that everyones riding should progress in the same way as yours, and everyone should change to be more like you. If you want to progress your riding skills how about you ride a more difficult trail. The sense of entitlement you have is impossible for me to understand......whine whine whine whine .
    I love that you assume that your idea of how the trail should be is the THE WAY the trail should be. Your sense of entitlement is equally as great as anything I stated, therefore it should be very easy for you to understand. I love that you assume I never spend time building trails, I love that you assume I shuttle every ride and never climb for my descents, I love that you assume I don't ride other more difficult trails. I can honestly say you are very wrong on all those accounts.

While you have some valid points which I agree with (the holes, the wide spots, bicycle related bro-fests, etc...), your posts reek of hypocrisy.

As the old saying goes, "Every time you point your finger at someone, 3 more are pointing right back at you"

B
    Last edited by Bortis Yelltzen; 05-30-2009 at 09:53 AM.

Chumley for prez!
    The addition of the stunts has ruined the flow that the bobsled was famous for. It was smooth and fast, and now its choppy with tracks from different bikes going different directions, and has no flow. Just because its possible to slow way down and aviod an obstacale does not in any way mean it did not affect the trail. The Bobsled became a popular trail because it could be ridden at speed.
    Great points Have you ever considered the possibility that you riding the trail while wet and muddy may be ruining said "flow", "widening" the trail, and creating "holes"? I understand you like to ride in the mud, but when was the last time you picked up a shovel and filled in all the holes you made? Just sayin'

p.s. who are these "land managers" for bobsled. Let's face it, that trail is far from sustainable. Every year it gets rutted out and ridden while wet after the snow melts

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If you don't own the trail don't mess with it. If you want to improve a trail work with the agency that manages the land and make it happen.
    Glad the people who built Bobsled originally didn't follow this advice. There would probably be no trail. . .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. welcorn
    Great points Have you ever considered the possibility that you riding the trail while wet and muddy may be ruining said "flow", "widening" the trail, and creating "holes"? I understand you like to ride in the mud, but when was the last time you picked up a shovel and filled in all the holes you made? Just sayin'

p.s. who are these "land managers" for bobsled. Let's face it, that trail is far from sustainable. Every year it gets rutted out and ridden while wet after the snow melts
    Yes. I actually have ridden the Bobsled 2 times this year, and I walked the entire top section to prevent further rutting and destroying. I actually have praticipated in 2 trail maintance days this year one on the Draper trails, and the city creek clean up day. The managers of the Bobsled are Bonneville shoreline trails commite. www.bonevilleshorelinetrail.org. There is a invasive weed removal, and trail work day on June 6th that I am regestered for on both shifts. Am shift trail work and PM shift weed removal. I wonder if your name is on the list?????

PM me

Chumley for prez!
    Yes. I actually have ridden the Bobsled 2 times this year, and I walked the entire top section to prevent further rutting and destroying. I actually have praticipated in 2 trail maintance days this year one on the Draper trails, and the city creek clean up day. The managers of the Bobsled are Bonneville shoreline trails commite. www.bonevilleshorelinetrail.org. There is a invasive weed removal, and trail work day on June 6th that I am regestered for on both shifts. Am shift trail work and PM shift weed removal. I wonder if your name is on the list?????
    I'm sure you "left no trace"....look, I'm just sayin' that trail is going to get rutted and holed even if no one rides it at all....it is pretty much a drainage ditch. If you don't want that sort of stuff to happen, you are going to have to re-route the entire thing. That's my only point. Mother nature has altered that trail more than anyone else....that B1Tch!.

Who said anything about draper or city creek? I've dug in draper too but it doesn't really have anything to do with the "mess" that is bobsled. If you are just trying to mount your high horse then point taken. And are the weeds ruining your killer "flow" too.

That's the first I heard about the BSTC "managing" bobsled. AFAIK, bobsled isn't part of the bonneville shoreline system, but I will defer to those more knowledgable about trail access issues that myself. Anyone? I have never seen any organized trail crew do anything to bobsled itself. I have seen the mountainboarders (thanks for the new berms), and a few others that are building some of the stunts (thanks for that too!).

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    This is exactly the reason why I'm starting to ride with a 9mm strapped to my Camelbak. Apparently Al-Qaeda's wearing lycra shorts and little plastic cycling shoes now so watch your back.

Again, can't wait for the NoCal style trail traps to start appearing when things get too far out of control. Fish hooks at eye level, angled rebarb on blind corners. Giddy up!

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Now, I'm not on any 'trail' lists. Lists, yes. Seems the subscription I had to The Militant and membership to SEAC my freshman year at the UofU put me on a few lists that should Republican Party ideals ever come to rule this country, I would be tried and hanged for being a communist. Whatever. Those are my creds. BTW, don't subscribe to that rag. There's no nudity.

mr. welcorn-if that's your real name? You're a gaper and the next time I see you with your X-mas tree looking bike I'm going to skid dirt at you. Yes, YOU will be the cause for more trail erosion due to my anger and subsequent skid.

Bortis, I question your sanity at pedalling a 38lb 'Slope Style' style bike on XC rides with flat pedals and thus cannot take anything you say on this website seriously. However, given that this discussion is regarding a DH style mountain bike trail I have to completely agree with you and will charish all that has been written by you on this topic.

To whomever's been changing up the Bobsled: I'm sorry, but I don't recall you getting my permission. But those jumps are pretty cool and now that those lame-a$$ rollers after the blind corner before the car jump are gone-you are forgiven. But take it easy there fellas. You try that crap elsewhere and you can get the trail shut down or even better yet-your a$$s thrown in jail. Watch Freedom Riders, then you'll know what I'm throwin' down.

Pedalfaraway, no offense but you own/owned a Specialized according to your profile. So that means quite a few negative things to me:
    1. You probably don't yield the trial to climbers, runners, squirels and those black beetles that stick their butts up in the air.
    2. You don't lower your seatpost when riding the Bobsled. Instead you skid down the entire first half as you're butt is so puckered at having your center of gravity so high your hands react by grabing those little levers out in front of them.
    3. Because you don't lower your seatpost and skid down the trail-thus causing more erosion as was pointed out in my skid punishment for mr. welcorn-you get in my way after I spent all that time climbing up there from my house (no, I do not drive part way to get there) and don't move over when I ask nicely. Thus pi$$ing me off to no end and causing more ill feelings towards the world.
    4. It's time to move past First Grade bike riding skills.

So I blame everything that's bad in the world on you including the A or B line down the Bobsled. Which line exactly I'm confused about, which is also causing me more anger and more ill feelings being released into the world.

mr.welcorn, watch your back. Or at least your ankles, because they're gonna get dirty!

Homer's problem child
    Bortis, I question your sanity at pedalling a 38lb 'Slope Style' style bike on XC rides with flat pedals and thus cannot take anything you say on this website seriously.
    It is only 37.5 lbs now. I got a Ti coil. After I sold my 4" FS twentyginer I had to do something to make my now default XC bike slightly more pedalable.

B

P.S. Thanks for letting us know you were riding PC today.

P.P.S Guns & Amo is still a good read.

P.P.P.S Mr Welcorn said he was going to go all jihad on your a$$ next time he sees you, you know how unstable he is.......

Chumley for prez!

P.P.P.S Mr Welcorn said he was going to go all jihad on your a$$ next time he sees you, you know how unstable he is.......
    I will issue a fatwa later.

p.s. riding tomorrow AM rocky?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I will issue a fatwa later.

p.s. riding tomorrow AM rocky?
    Yes, but none of this pre-9:30am start time, old man crap again.

I left you a lovely VM on that fancy phone of yours. Call me. We'll do lunch.
    .009% chance that I'll be riding with the GF.
    99.9% chance I'll want to ride in PC. So anyone who now hates me/you from this website can meet us up there for a skid fight.

Bortis can come now that his bike is a nano-ounce lighter.

PS, you give great fatwa.
    Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 06-01-2009 at 11:04 AM.

Jun 2009
    Wow. Sounds like someone has some issues.
    Your objections I think are ok but totally misplaced in the case of bobsled. There has been one stunt that ****ed up the main trail. The rest of them all stayed out of the main line and did not alter it. You apparently seem to agree that it's a good thing to fix the berms. Why is that ok and putting stunts in OFF the main line not? Bobsled with the new stunts is as flowy and smooth as ever.
    Whoever ruined the stunts (the steep up and chopped up the lip of the gap) is seriously deranged. I hope it wasn't you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Lots of grey area.

There is a difference between maintaining what is already there vs changing something drastically. There are many more then 1 stunt that has altered the main line of the trail. The Cheeze wedge thing at the end of one of the first berms in the lower half. The Big Hole that was dug just below that and before the car, Another hole Dug around the Cornor below the car, the car itself which I used to ride over.
    I have not done any installing or removing of stunts.

PM me

Chumley for prez!
    There are many more then 1 stunt that has altered the main line of the trail. The Cheeze wedge thing at the end of one of the first berms in the lower half. .
    We are certainly in agreement that the cheeze wedge thing is stupid, and serves no purpose (anyone have an argument otherwise?). That little ladder thing that drops to flat about 100 yards after it is equally dumb. I wasn't even a huge fan of that ladder bridge step-up thing that got torn down, it was just mehhh. The booter after it was pretty cool though (far off the main trail).

I am not so sure I know about these big holes you are talking about that are in the "Main line" of the trail. Perhaps some pictures are in order? Take your camera next time and maybe give us a photo essay. Everything I have seen is easily avoided, so I am genuinely curious about these unavoidable, flow sucking, obstacles.

Overall I think some of the old additions were shoddy, but the newer features are of good quality and add to and not detract from the trail. JMHO.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    There is a difference between maintaining what is already there vs changing something drastically. There are many more then 1 stunt that has altered the main line of the trail. The Cheeze wedge thing at the end of one of the first berms in the lower half. The Big Hole that was dug just below that and before the car, Another hole Dug around the Cornor below the car, the car itself which I used to ride over.
    Well I haven't ridden this trail for well over a month because some dumba$$ I work with rides it all the time and comes in the next morning and tells me how muddy/wet/rutted out the upper half is.
    So having said that, if you're riding it wet then you shouldn't be complaining about anything on either side of the issue because you shouldn't be on the thing in the first place.
    Now these holes concern me. Not because my vision is so poor everything looks like Vaseline smeared over a Coke bottle and I may actually ride into one and hurt myself. But because I recently saw an episode of Seinfeld where people go out at night, dig a hole and sit in them. That's just wierd. And seeing as how mr. welcorn and I have been known to ride that trail at night I don't want to run into these people.

Can anyone answer the following about these holes:
    1. Are the people sitting in them at night illuminated somehow?
    2. Are these people obese and thus require larger than normal people holes?
    3. How far down in the holes are they? Do their heads stick out?
    4. Do these people have cat-type eyes that reflect light?
    5. Do they sometimes climb out of the holes and pretend to drive the cars thus impeding their jumpability?
    6. Are these people the real stewards of the trail and we just don't know it? If so, can they introduce themselves?
    7. Do they have sticky hands and if so, would they be offended if I opted not to shake their hand during an introduction and would they accept a polite nod or a friendly wave?

Thanks in advance!

Jun 2009
    The car was almost rusted trough and barley rideable anymore. Anyhow I guess if you want to be grumpy and destructive you will always find something to be upset about. Enjoy your rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    instead of constant *****ing can anyone actually comment on the condition of the trail... still a stream running down it or dry?

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyPoint
    instead of constant *****ing can anyone actually comment on the condition of the trail... still a stream running down it or dry?
    Now what fun would that be?
    I'm guessing its still wet, but PC is dry FWIW.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    How about taking the initiative and pedaling up there and giving us an update yourself?
    I expect a full report before night fall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Not quite yet.

However the water is down to a trickle so we are getting close.

PM me

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    However the water is down to a trickle so we are getting close.
    Kudo's to Pedal for nutting up and climbing up there day after day to give us a Bobsled report.

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Pedalfaraway, no offense but you own/owned a Specialized according to your profile. So that means quite a few negative things to me:
    1. You probably don't yield the trial to climbers, runners, squirels and those black beetles that stick their butts up in the air.
    2. You don't lower your seatpost when riding the Bobsled. Instead you skid down the entire first half as you're butt is so puckered at having your center of gravity so high your hands react by grabing those little levers out in front of them.
    3. Because you don't lower your seatpost and skid down the trail-thus causing more erosion as was pointed out in my skid punishment for mr. welcorn-you get in my way after I spent all that time climbing up there from my house (no, I do not drive part way to get there) and don't move over when I ask nicely. Thus pi$$ing me off to no end and causing more ill feelings towards the world.
    4. It's time to move past First Grade bike riding skills.

So I blame everything that's bad in the world on you including the A or B line down the Bobsled. Which line exactly I'm confused about, which is also causing me more anger and more ill feelings being released into the world.

mr.welcorn, watch your back. Or at least your ankles, because they're gonna get dirty!
    This is off topic - but funny how we jump to conclusions about people because the type/brand of bike they ride. Just for Sh*ts and Giggles, I ride a Titus (RacerX) and a Turner (6pack), what does that lead you to believe about me?
    And before you say I have to much money to spend, the Turner was a gift from when I rode with Maxxis and I bought the Titus used.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Says to me you have two nice bikes that fill two different purposes.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by mooddude
    This is off topic - but funny how we jump to conclusions about people because the type/brand of bike they ride. Just for Sh*ts and Giggles, I ride a Titus (RacerX) and a Turner (6pack), what does that lead you to believe about me?
    And before you say I have to much money to spend, the Turner was a gift from when I rode with Maxxis and I bought the Titus used.
    My conclusions are based on fact sprinkled with a bit of sarcasm, as you'll soon find out. Take a little jaunt up Dry Creek to hit this little patch of Bobsled pardise around 5:30-6pm and count the number of times someone with a swoopy S on their headtube doesn't yield the trail for you while climbing.

Your tone will soon change.

It gets worse when they're all decked out in a lycra kit with some lame chain bike shop's logo all over it and they feel they're entitled to the trail because they've been crushing the Sport Class (now CAT 2) at the local I-Cup races for the last 10 years.

That's great you have 2 different bikes. Buy my Sunday and you'll have a well rounded out stable .

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Still don't believe me? Just check out the roster of that Utahmountainbiking.com team. This one is my favorite:

Greg M****
    Category: Men 35-39 Sport
    Bike: Specialized Stumpjumper History: Joined 2007. 20 years extensive racing: Oregon and California state series, Baja Cali Mexico series, Kuoloa triathlon. Injury knocked him out for the season after 1st race of 2007.
    Factoids: In Utah with USMC. Flyfishing, snowboarding, surfing. Brews own beer. Married w two boys.
    Pre-season UMB starts: 1

Seriously? 20 years of racing and you're still racing Sport? What a f*#king joke. I-Cup is also to blame for not pushing these riders up. Probably the same group of guys tearing down the stunts on Bobsled so their beginner team of 20 year veterans can say they're freeriders. And he rides a Special-ed to boot. Enough said.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Still don't believe me? Just check out the roster of that Utahmountainbiking.com team. This one is my favorite:

Greg M****
    Category: Men 35-39 Sport
    Bike: Specialized Stumpjumper History: Joined 2007. 20 years extensive racing: Oregon and California state series, Baja Cali Mexico series, Kuoloa triathlon. Injury knocked him out for the season after 1st race of 2007.
    Factoids: In Utah with USMC. Flyfishing, snowboarding, surfing. Brews own beer. Married w two boys.
    Pre-season UMB starts: 1

Seriously? 20 years of racing and you're still racing Sport? What a f*#king joke. I-Cup is also to blame for not pushing these riders up. Probably the same group of guys tearing down the stunts on Bobsled so their beginner team of 20 year veterans can say they're freeriders. And he rides a Special-ed to boot. Enough said.

I agree with almost every post from you and they also make me laugh daily. Just wanted to say THANKS!

Oh yeah, features didn't kill bobsled, lycra clad skidding racers did and everyone else riding the trail when wet. I am fine with all the features that have been constructed other than the double before the 1st car, while I like hitting it, it is directly in the trail.....

As for whoever is tearing sh#t down. KARMA will reek havoc on you if your not man/woman enough to address the user group that is building the stunts. Keep tearing them down, and they'll keep building....

Chumley for prez!
    Aren't skinsuits made of Lycra?
    What do you think of skinsuits SLCRMR? nicht, nicht or ach ja?
    How many do you own?

Homer's problem child
    So far DEMOCRACY says that pedalfaraway's opinion on Bobsled is about as popular as the GOP these days.

Hope people contuinue to vote regardless of whether they like or dislike the changes on Bobsled. I just want to see how the breakdown turns out. I mean, if a lot of people are opposed to the changes then it might be worth toning it down to keep everyone happy and working together, but if the majority say Bobsled is fine as it is then why change a thing?

Majority rules is my opinion.

It is also nice to see what features many people may not like or feel are ruining the flow. If it does turn out that Bobsled might need to be toned down the trouble areas will have already been identified.

B

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    How about taking the initiative and pedaling up there and giving us an update yourself?
    I expect a full report before night fall.
    Good one **** head, but considering i'm on vacation back east its going to take me a while to pedal my bike all the way across the country and check... So why don't you take some initiative and do something other than try to be a smart ass online? like maybe get that dick out of your ass...

Chumley for prez!
    Good one **** head, but considering i'm on vacation back east its going to take me a while to pedal my bike all the way across the country and check... So why don't you take some initiative and do something other than try to be a smart ass online? like maybe get that dick out of your ass...
    ooooh burn...you're such a bada$$.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    A couple chicks tonight asked me if I'd jump over them while they sat on the cars tonight. I told them no. WTF was I thinking?! Oh right, I'm married.

mtbr member
    accoriding to http://www.bonnevilleshorelinetrail....toparleys.html the bobsled trail is a big black line. That means its bad, the site doesn't have a legend for the black line. Black = scary......

mtbr member
    So who really manages it? Does the city really get mad if I head up with a shovel to build a 40 foot gap right in the middle of the trail? "sarcasm"

I would really like to maintain it and I agree with keeping a center line and having all obsatcles an option to the left or right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ooooh burn...you're such a bada$$.
    spelling swear words with money symbols.... even cooler!!!

glad this thread is full of douchebags, used to be a good place to get beta on trails.... now it sounds like a bunch of 7th grade girls.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Well, you better start pedalling tough guy.

My dick is poised and ready for your ass....again.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    spelling swear words with money symbols.... even cooler!!!

glad this thread is full of douchebags, used to be a good place to get beta on trails.... now it sounds like a bunch of 7th grade girls.
    I like the gay tones in your posts-much like a 7th grade boy. I've found that in this state it's usually the closet homosexuals calling others 'gay' as if to be derogatory. Just listen to any ex-missionary with an extra Y chromosome after their wife finally divorces him after running a history on their computer and finds a couple hundred hits on gay porn sites.

But to each their own.

Plus, who's the one posting on here from San Francisco anyway? If we're going to go down the whole gay bridge posting thing, might as well come clean before you dig yourself deeper down that rabbit hole.

Personally, I don't have a problem with douchebags. I mean if you're going to douche, what a more convienent way to do so. Gay or not.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    A couple chicks tonight asked me if I'd jump over them while they sat on the cars tonight. I told them no. WTF was I thinking?! Oh right, I'm married.
    I don't get asked that very often. Seems I have a steller record of just rolling over the top of the first car. Don't ask me how I don't end up over the bars doing that. I must have some good Bobsled karma built up over the years.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahSpines
    So who really manages it? Does the city really get mad if I head up with a shovel to build a 40 foot gap right in the middle of the trail? "sarcasm"

I would really like to maintain it and I agree with keeping a center line and having all obsatcles an option to the left or right.
    My guess is that no one actually 'manages' that place. It doesn't ever flood and is set in a wierd spot where you really can't build houses close to. As a hiking trail it's not appealing, unless you're the one guy who thinks he's core and runs up it from time to time-I seriously think he just does that just to get into a fight. Whatever.

Only people who are going to get mad are other bikers who don't like change and feel they are entitled to the trail as is. Maybe they've been riding it forever. Maybe they did a trail day on the Shoreline a decade ago. Maybe they're going through a mid-life crisis and all that change that they can't handle/ride is starting to threaten them in some wierd way. Maybe they just don't like full face helmets and body armor.

Those are the people you're going to have to win over, which is kind of an odd fight as it goes against the whole hiker/equestrian vs. mountain biker thing.

mtbr member
    Everytime I come to that gap jump towards the end I am always ready to hit the brakes....... never know if the lip or jump will be there or not. Keeps me living on the edge. I will see you bobsledders up there tomorow, look for a someone looking like a beater but will smoke any of your asses down it!!!! 8am biatches

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Everytime I come to that gap jump towards the end I am always ready to hit the brakes....... never know if the lip or jump will be there or not. Keeps me living on the edge. I will see you bobsledders up there tomorow, look for a someone looking like a beater but will smoke any of your asses down it!!!! 8am biatches
    8am???? That's pretty core and dedicated, even for a beater.

I really doubt mr. welcorn and Bortis will be there. Congrats to mr. welcorn for becoming a true nerd, a beater, and getting his Ph.D. on Thursday. I hope all those beer bongs last night won't keep those guys from riding later.

So does that mean you're now dr. welcorn?

Edit: If you happen to see dr. welcorn on the trail, ask him to take a look at the cyst on your ass. Granted he's not one of those doctors but still....
    Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 06-06-2009 at 10:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Well I prefer later but friends work schedules do get difficult to work around. Bobsled was awesome it was empty sunny and breezy. The jumps are in good shape, the 2nd car jump is now alot more like the 1st car more of a high speed jump. The gap..... was very different again i only had a few seconds to judge what I had to do to make the gap not too far or short. The end result was a very close to being undershot landing. Use lots and lots of speed it can't hurt too!

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Aren't skinsuits made of Lycra?
    What do you think of skinsuits SLCRMR? nicht, nicht or ach ja?
    How many do you own?
    Ha! Didn't even catch this one. Oi...I'm embarrased to say that I actually wore a skin suit and raced a 29er hard tail (with a Gravity Dropper so that negates half the pig in the blanket look of the full lycra kit. It was a Maxxis kit so it was quite fashionable and matched my Maxxis logo'd bike so I felt pretty cool, plus only a few people recognized and saw me ) at the one and only XC race I've ever attended: I-Cup race, spring of 2008. Yep. I even have photos. Finished DFL. Brand spankin' new Niner Air9, and nothing worked on it afterwards. What a joke. Full XTR, SRAM XO, Cross29ermax. Managed to pass everyone on the 2 decents in the race and then got repassed over and over again by all the Beginners on creaky Trek Fuels with Camelbaks full of chocolate milk. Thought it would be good training, but it just made me really tired and realize I wasted a lot of money on a style of bike that is littered with flaws.

That was last time I ever rode/owned a 29'er. 'Superior rolling'. Whatever. Couldn't keep the wheels true on any three of those retarded 29'ers I've owned to save my life. Just looking at them wrong and they would get all noodly.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Well I prefer later but friends work schedules do get difficult to work around. Bobsled was awesome it was empty sunny and breezy. The jumps are in good shape, the 2nd car jump is now alot more like the 1st car more of a high speed jump. The gap..... was very different again i only had a few seconds to judge what I had to do to make the gap not too far or short. The end result was a very close to being undershot landing. Use lots and lots of speed it can't hurt too!
    I coaxed dr. welcorn out as he was still nursing a hangover and was just going to give in and do a quick lap on Bobsled. Bobsled's great, but once Park City's dry I try to ride up there as much as possible and leave the lower stuff for later in the fall. However, given today's cool weather Bobsled would have been nice.

Crescent Mine Grade death march to Mid-Mountain, bombed down Empire Link, back up Mid-Mountain and back down Four Point to Deer Crest back to Park City parking lot. Perfect weather. Not a lot of traffic except the Larry on a what....Special-Ed Humppumper not moving over for us on Empire Link when asked nicely. We waited long enough for me to recite all 913 pages of Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov from memory before we started down the trail and still caught him creeping around those beautiful, bermed switchbacks. They're bermed! What's up with you people locking up your brakes, throwing an inside knee out and treating them like your crawling down Spiro littered with old ladies walking their Yorkies??????? Again, we waited mid trial, played a few games of patty-cake. I won. Then continued on. Clear shot after ballerina boy pedaled off. Lot's o' dark clouds coming in from the East.

I'm not racing the Bomber tomorrow. However, Wayno the Insano called and gave me the 411. I guess there is a new trail cut around Pinch Flat alley. It's new, fresh and has a bit of a small climb on it. Krispy emailed me earlier in the week and indicated that Scott Crabel had reclaimed Tight Trees and were running the Trail Bike DH class down that section. If you're bored Sunday, you can watch all the fun stuff on the lower Wake Up Call/finish towards the bottom. Apparently there was light registration this year with only about 70 people registered from what he had heard. That particular race has a Forrest Service/BLM/Whatever cap of either 100 or 150 participants and usually gets close to the max.

Good luck to Wayno tomorrow. Hope he crushes the geriatric blue bunny class and gets a balloon, some ice cream and a "PLACE" trophy like they give the 4 year olds at the BMX races for finishing.

mtbr member
    I think bobsled needs one of these...

mtbr member

Update

..... the jumps have been hacked at again.........both car jumps are in my opinion inoperable. The lower gap jump was looking good though. Seems the gap is getting larger and larger. Its not as fun becuase you never know what shape it is going to be when you come over the hill flying. I always feel like it will be boobie trapped......I seem to hit it anyway recklessly

Dr. Pepper drinker
    ..... the jumps have been hacked at again.........both car jumps are in my opinion inoperable. The lower gap jump was looking good though. Seems the gap is getting larger and larger. Its not as fun becuase you never know what shape it is going to be when you come over the hill flying. I always feel like it will be boobie trapped......I seem to hit it anyway recklessly
    Went up there today with a shovel to try and do some repair work on some of the thrashed upper berms and saw the damage. Pretty lame that they took out those lips, looks like both cars and the double before them have all been wrecked. At least they did a halfassed job of it though, looks like they would be pretty quick repairs. I would have fixed them myself but I'm a non-hucker and didn't want to build them up where they look good to go but make the lips too big or small and get someone hurt. Figured I would leave it to someone who knows what they are doing. The gap over the wash has definitely gotten bigger but I can't tell if that one is sabotage or not. The way the initial gap was built extending out into the wash I had a feeling the takeoff was going to progressively get further back as it got washed out (especially with the rain we've been getting), there wasn't any obvious signs of digging on the lip like the other ones. I rode all the way up to some of the really bad berms up top only to get poured on right when I started working. Tried to get one of the berms patched up before I gave up and rode down. Might try again later this week if we can get a day without rain.

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    Went up there today with a shovel to try and do some repair work on some of the thrashed upper berms and saw the damage. Pretty lame that they took out those lips, looks like both cars and the double before them have all been wrecked. At least they did a halfassed job of it though, looks like they would be pretty quick repairs.
    Bummer. Thanks for the update. So I take it that the damage is obviously done on purpose and not just natural from the massive rains?

I can only think of two types of people that could/would do something like that.

1. An overprotective paranoid parent
    2. A big fat heavy-flow-sand-packed PU$$Y

Either way....

If this turns into a trend time for a good ol' steakout.

B

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Bummer. Thanks for the update. So I take it that the damage is obviously done on purpose and not just natural from the massive rains?

I can only think of two types of people that could/would do something like that.

1. An overprotective paranoid parent
    2. A big fat heavy-flow-sand-packed PU$$Y

Either way....

If this turns into a trend time for a good ol' steakout.

B
    Yeah, the two takeoffs on the cars and the double before them have obviously been hacked at, after the rain the last few days it was tough to tell if the damage was done from shovel or foot but using my best Mantracker skills I'd go with shovel. Weird how halfassed it is though, they pretty much just hacked up the top half of the ramp on each one. If I was pissed off and wanted to ruin peoples' fun I'd at least put forth the effort to do it right and make sure there was nothing left of the takeoff or landing. I'm still wondering if the culprit is one of the local hikers riders have had issues with before. I just have trouble picturing a rider bothering to stop a run down Bobsled to tear up stuff out of the main line regardless of how much of a stunt Nazi they may be. Seems like that type would have been going after that weird series of jumps built right in the main line before the car section but those are still there. Who knows, maybe it was the big buck that tried to broadside me during my run out in the pouring rain? Kinda looked like hoof prints on the lips.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just can't even comprehend the type of person that would go to the trouble to vandalize the jumps. It's super dangerous and just the spirit of it is ridiculous. I'd go help rebuild but leaving town for a couple weeks. If it still ain't fixed by then I'll definitely head up with a shovel.

Also think the big gap could use some reinforcements/armoring around the takeoff lip so as to prevent as much erosion on the gap as possible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So I hit Bobsled last night, the trail itself was in alright shape but like it's been said someone trashed ALL the jumps, even the little double/roller things in the middle that require NO SKILL. If anyone wants to go build in the next couple days hit me up, I'm just getting into mountain biking (bought a Slayer and haven't looked back) and want to help out with the trails I ride. For someone to come through and wreck all the nice elements on the run is ridiculous, it's the only decent FR trail in the area. If you're too much of a ***** to ride around the obstacles (which are already out of the line) maybe you should look for somewhere else to ride (there's plenty of wide open cruisers in the area), but don't wreck **** that people spent time perfecting, especially when it puts the unknowing users in danger. I'm not trying to piss anyone off, it's just upsetting that someone deliberately did that, especially since it doesn't even accomplish their supposed goal and just puts others in danger.
    edit: ha I didn't realize these forums are censored, you get the idea though.

Homer's problem child
    Some pictures of some of the damage have been posted here:

https://www.utahmountainbiking.com/U...pic.php?t=5694

Personally I'm really pissed about this. Mainly because I just got destroyed on a trip to Fruita on a trail that was "altered". Not sure if the trail was altered by rain or someone angry about the state of the trail. But there was a big hole right in the middle of the trail. We were riding Kessel Run at night with lights and I came around a blind turn only to find a 2+ foot deep hole about 3 feet long and covering over half the trail width and stuffed my front tire right into it. I got tossed and the entire left side of my body got raked over a rock garden with a nice head smack as a bonus. 3 hours in the emergency room later I have 3 separated ribs, a concussion and a super nasty contusion on my left thigh. I’m going to be off the bike for a while. The doctor said I was extremely lucky not to break my femur or pelvis.

Sorry for my gingerness and hairyness, my appointment to get waxed is not until Wednesday ...in a few days this bruise is going to be nasty. The ribs hurt and all, but the thigh is by far the worst.

So my point is if this is another biker doing this to make a point this is seriously wrong. I can understand a paranoid parent or a hiker doing something like this. But for a biker to do this to another biker is beyond my comprehension. Chances are it won’t be the local riders that get wrecked. It will be someone that comes into town and may not be as familiar with the trails.

One of the reasons I started the other thread with the poll is to get an idea of how many people like or dislike the new Bobsled, it was pretty obvious that the overwhelming majority of Bobsled riders like the new trail. So if it is one othe the few bikers unhappy with the changes to the trail that is ruining these features I hope I am lucky enough to be on a night ride next time they decide to alter the trail....

B

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sorry to hear that you got hurt.

Sounds to me like its possible someone was building an obstacle on that trail that caused you to crash. Heal quickly and I hope you can hit the trail soon. Please stop F'ing with trails. Bobsled is now a 3 mile long scar.

PM me

Homer's problem child
    Sounds to me like its possible someone was building an obstacle on that trail that caused you to crash.
    No, as I stated, it could have been from the rain or it could have been man made, it was just a big hole, no jumps or anything around it, Kessel Run is a smooth flowy trail, with wallrides and berms, much like Bobsled but without stunts or jumps. There was just a big hole right in the middle of the trail. If it was more of a one sided hole with an opening at the downhill side I could be positive it was from rain, but this was a hole with no opening for water to flow out, which seems odd to me.... Further down the trail there was some damage clearly from water, but the hole I hit just seemed odd...

Heal quickly and I hope you can hit the trail soon. Please stop F'ing with trails. Bobsled is now a 3 mile long scar.
    I'm going to assume the "please stop F'ing with trails" was not directed at me and just say thanks for the well wishes. IMHO, you don't have any more right to revert that trail to its previous state than the people doing the building have a right to change it. And as far as the "3 mile long scar" I think it is pretty clear that the vast majority of Bobsled riders disagree with you.

B

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I completly agree.

Whoever is removing jumps is no better then the people that are building them. Espically since they are just tearing them up, and not actually restoring anything. They are just making it look worse, and not coming anywhere close to putting the trail back the way it was. Its the same thing really. I think its vandalism in either case. As far as the majority of the riders I bet there are 5 xc riders who don't jump to every 1 that does. maybe 10 to 1. If you are referring to your poll all that relfects is the demographics of the people using this site.
    Anyway I know how much it sucks to fall, and I hope you recover quickly and ride again soon. Even if we don't like the same kinds of trails.

PM me

mtbr member
    I don't speak out a whole lot but I just want to say kudos to those that get out and create something new and do it well. New lines and new more progressive options that don't replace old trails are if nothing else . . . inspiring to see even for those who don't ride them as long as it doesn't interfere with someones ability to ride at their level. If it hadn't been for me seeing more of this kind of riding and seeing other people ride it, I would probably never have had the desire to progress and would still be riding Jordan River Parkway for thrills. Now I'm old enough to be yelling at kids to get off my lawn but I still want a trail that's a challenge and offers something new. If they don't interfere with the existing trail then all the better. Honestly so many trails have been dumbed down since the old days (Wasatch Crest for example) that It's a wonder they haven't been paved by the weenies. Regardless of whether you want to pave a trail or put stunts on a trail . . I'm OK with it . . as long as it doesn't replace the original. Keep up the good work creators . . and down with the destroyers!!

Homer's problem child
    Whoever is removing jumps is no better then the people that are building them. Espically since they are just tearing them up, and not actually restoring anything. They are just making it look worse, and not coming anywhere close to putting the trail back the way it was. Its the same thing really. I think its vandalism in either case.
    That's a pretty crazy way to see things I guess. So why don't you look for the VIN #'s on the rusty cars and contact the owners or relatives of the owners for leaving rusty cars in a ditch along a popular trail? Because aren't they littering? I mean those rusty cars are way more of an eyesore than the jumps and stunts built around them.....
    As far as the majority of the riders I bet there are 5 xc riders who don't jump to every 1 that does. maybe 10 to 1.
    And out of those 5 that don't there are probably 2-3 that are still working up the courage to give the jumps and stunts a go. I was once one of the non-jumpers. Now I've progressed my skills to a point where I can and do enjoy the features. There are 100's of trails around here without the stunts and features, is it so bad to have ONE trail that does have features to allow people to progress if they choose?
    If you are referring to your poll all that relfects is the demographics of the people using this site.
    And the people that use this site, specifically the UT forum, don't reflect the demographic of riders around SLC, UT? Many of the same people post on MTBR, UMB and TGR, do those sites not reflect the riders of UT?

Face it, you are in the minority, most people are very happy to have Bobsled as it currently is.

B

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Knocking the lip off a jump = putting a neck high wire across a trail. Anyone who has information about the perps should pass it on because these people are endangering others and need to be stopped...period!! The nature of this trail does not lend itself to inspecting every feature before you hit it. Walking up the trail after inspecting something is dangerous to others.

As for people who jump on a bike versus people that don't, I just pity those that don't try jumping. It's like playing soccer and never trying to score a goal. You know who you are...You probably passed it to someone else even though you had a perfect shot

That said...every jump should be out of the main line so that people can do what's within their skills and have a safe ride at the minimum of skills. That doesn't mean I would ever bring a beginner there, but you get my point

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yes I am saying.

Websites do not accuratly reflect trail usage. They reflect Internet usage.

Im not against having one trail with featues or having 100 trails with features. I am against ruining a high usage, long standing trail to create features. The features have drastically changed bobsled. The main line has not been preserved. This is what I don't like. Go Up to Little Cottonwood and ride those new trails with features. Its not the only place in the valley.

PM me

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Oh man. I thought this was a new stunt on the Bobsled. Then I actually read what you had to say and find out it's just your nasty leg. Oi.

Well, seeing as how you're going to be laid up for a few weeks mind if we just incorporate your hematoma into a temporary stunt up there?

Get well soon.

Love,

SLC

PS, those are some sweet manties!
    Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 06-15-2009 at 06:11 AM.

mtbr member

Why all the angst??

I think that all of us Utards need to stick together..... We are always getting guff from every other state, so why not get along??? We are all interested in the same trails...chill with the snide comments.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by vindiggitydog
    I think that all of us Utards need to stick together..... We are always getting guff from every other state, so why not get along??? We are all interested in the same trails...chill with the snide comments.
    Didn't the guy who coined the phrase: "Can't we all just get along?" after running from the cops, getting beat up on camera and subsequently (but not directly) starting a riot in LA, get busted about a year later for dealing crack and running from the police like he did in the first place?

I'm just saying.

BTW: I've set Bortis' sweet leg shot as the desk top on my computer.

Deep, center line holes are the new car gap jumps.

Homer's problem child
    BTW: I've set Bortis' sweet leg shot as the desk top on my computer.

Deep, center line holes are the new car gap jumps.
    Just wiat, I'll send you an animated GIF image of the bruise progression from day one until day 6 or 7 when it is at it's peak. The yellows, purples and blues are already starting to really pop and it has nearly doubled in size already.

Life is good.......

B

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Just wiat, I'll send you an animated GIF image of the bruise progression from day one until day 6 or 7 when it is at it's peak. The yellows, purples and blues are already starting to really pop and it has nearly doubled in size already.

Life is good.......

B
    That sounds sweet. Especially considering I've already gotten some good mileage off the original photo .
    And I'm there with you...sort of. First time in like 12 years I haven't had a complete/rideable mountain bike in my possession. Silver Fox picked up the Sunday yesterday and the Mojo is broken down and going back to Ibis for a replacement. Couldn't have picked a better time though with all this f#cking rain. Looks like I'm going to have to bust out the Sweatin' To Oldies VHS tapes.

Oh, Wayno the Insano and Catherine rode Kessel Run earlier on Friday, in the day light mind you. The hole you face planted into was from erosion according to Catherine. She almost hit it as well. Sorry, no conspiracy story there. But I'm still open to making up rumors about the whole thing. You know, aliens, anal probes, whatever.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Not to rub any salt in the wounds, but Kessel Run sure looks pretty in day light. Also kinda reminds me of the Bobsled but without all the discarded junk and 'tards skidding down it.

Thanks to whomever's blog I stole this picture from.

stevelloydphoto.com
    May 2008
    Websites do not accuratly reflect trail usage. They reflect Internet usage.

Im not against having one trail with featues or having 100 trails with features. I am against ruining a high usage, long standing trail to create features. The features have drastically changed bobsled. The main line has not been preserved. This is what I don't like. Go Up to Little Cottonwood and ride those new trails with features. Its not the only place in the valley.
    So why don't you just go ride a different trail? Almost all the new stuff built is off the main trail and there are plenty of xc trails that don't have any features on them that you can ride.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by slloyd
    So why don't you just go ride a different trail? Almost all the new stuff built is off the main trail and there are plenty of xc trails that don't have any features on them that you can ride.
    I think 'stagnant' pretty much sums up the mindset of the majority of mountain bikers around here. Not that there's really anything wrong with that.

If you look at the participation between the Intermountain Cup and our DH Series you'll see a huge discrepancy that favors the I-Cup stuff. I've done an I-Cup race and it was hard physically and challenged my conditioning, but technically there was absolutely nothing to be had and was quite boring overall. It all came down to who had the bigger lungs and the sandbaggers who race for Utahmountainbiking.com (the yellow jerseys are fitting BTW).

If that's your focus, then a trail like Bobsled progressing the way it has will be very intimidating (which is still can be for experienced riders) and perhaps a bit over the head of your equipment as you have zero motivation to challenge yourself and try something harder. Other than spinning in your basement all winter. You need to get past this old school mentality and have some fun out there. This sticking a knee out and creeping around the inside of a perfectly bermed switchback is a slap in the face to the trail builder and you look like a f#cking retard doing it. Get off the brakes in the rough stuff and realize how much smoother and stable things can be at speed. And lower your [email protected] seatposts! This is such a homophobic state, yet so many guys riding down stuff like this just love shoving their butts in the air like they're taking numbers at a [email protected] bar.

Oh, but it's not 'pure.' Well neither is your Made In Taiwan, overpriced Stumpjumper.

BTW: this wasn't directed at the person I quoted as I was agreeing with him/her at first. Just a general ranting.

Homer's problem child
    I think 'stagnant' pretty much sums up the mindset of the majority of mountain bikers around here. Not that there's really anything wrong with that.

If you look at the participation between the Intermountain Cup and our DH Series you'll see a huge discrepancy that favors the I-Cup stuff. I've done an I-Cup race and it was hard physically and challenged my conditioning, but technically there was absolutely nothing to be had and was quite boring overall. It all came down to who had the bigger lungs and the sandbaggers who race for Utahmountainbiking.com (the yellow jerseys are fitting BTW).

If that's your focus, then a trail like Bobsled progressing the way it has will be very intimidating (which is still can be for experienced riders) and perhaps a bit over the head of your equipment as you have zero motivation to challenge yourself and try something harder. Other than spinning in your basement all winter. You need to get past this old school mentality and have some fun out there. This sticking a knee out and creeping around the inside of a perfectly bermed switchback is a slap in the face to the trail builder and you look like a f#cking retard doing it. Get off the brakes in the rough stuff and realize how much smoother and stable things can be at speed. And lower your [email protected] seatposts! This is such a homophobic state, yet so many guys riding down stuff like this just love shoving their butts in the air like they're taking numbers at a [email protected] bar.

Oh, but it's not 'pure.' Well neither is your Made In Taiwan, overpriced Stumpjumper.

BTW: this wasn't directed at the person I quoted as I was agreeing with him/her at first. Just a general ranting.
    Wow, your posts remind me a lot of this guy:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aVj7TRAu9iU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aVj7TRAu9iU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I think you should get your own forum around here to continue to write "Grind my Gears" rants. Or at least do a weekly one in the UT forum.

B

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Rant on! Couldn't agree with you more!!

mtbr member
    I'm not getting it.

The features built on the sled are the optional b lines off the sides. I just can't think of anything other than the pre-car gap doubles/rollers that were mandatory and in the main flow. And even those were fixed because of the general consensus that features should be the option and not interfere with the main flow.

What am I missing that makes people mad at how much the main flow has become less flowy? I feel like the only thing that has happened to the main flow is that it has gotten smoother.

Even the wood step up/off to cross trail hip (which seemed to be key factors in the battle and tear down going on) were on the sides opposite of the main flow turns.

So, yeah, I don't get it.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Wow, your posts remind me a lot of this guy:

I think you should get your own forum around here to continue to write "Grind my Gears" rants. Or at least do a weekly one in the UT forum.
    B
    It's a combination of me being lame and not wanting to ride in the rain and waiting until Wednesday to get replacement parts (read: a frame) and have a complete bike again. Last thing I need to do is pull off the lycra undershorts and see some major, cold/wet weather shrinkage going on. That would really get me down.

I don't know if a weekly rant would be of any service to anyone other than my mental health. Plus, I get tired on rides. Last thing I need is to try and get in a long ride and manage a fist fight on the trail at the same time. However, I'm always looking for an excuse to use those carbon fiber knuckled Fox DH gloves that all the cool kids wear.

Mark Wier had a great rant in a recent issue of Decline Magazine where he was describing building a DH trail for one of those rare UCI events that used to take place in the States back in the '90's. The story goes: The guy who was in charge of building the DH course told the crew, Wier included, to build it to suit the least skilled rider. So, as his logic went, everyone would have fun and be able to negotiate the course. Basically, he wanted a Bobsled A-line, so to speak. Of course Wier and his merry men took it upon themselves to put in a rock garden, drops, etc.... that pushed the bikes and skills of the World Cup level racers a bit beyond what they were used to. Nico Vouilluez (or however you spell his frenchy name) ended up winning the event and it sort of set the bar for DH racing a little higher. Thus progressing the sport and pushing manufacturers to step up and giving us bigger and better product (I threw that little bit of insight in).

Fast forward to around 1998-ish and those of us who were coherant at the time started dropping our jaws at the VHS tapes coming out of California, Canada and a bit later, even Utah: Kranked, Chainsmoke and locally the Down series. Now I'm not saying that I can ride even 20% of what a lot of those guys were/still are doing, but it was pretty inspirational. Next thing I know I'm buying a Rocky Mountain and trying be all Wade Simmons. I've never gotten to his level, but still each year I've gotten a hair better at descending, jumping and just carrying overall speed. Basically to the point where trails I used to get a bit nervous on can be a bit boring.

So if you're in the mindset of tearing down a few progessive obstacles on one trail out of a 100 or so. Which runs down a drainage ditch, only supports one-way traffic and has had little to no maintenance in the past 10 years then you deserve to have your lame bike stolen.

Yay honey! I crushed the Shoreline today behind the University. I almost cleaned the climb from the zoo and used my middle ring for a minute along that sweet, wide, dirt road over to the chainlink fence construction zone and then walked the scary, rutted descent down the by-pass to Wakara Way. I'm not going to ride that ever though. Won't try it. I'm content with the dirt road as I can beat the dog walkers. There's a bump up there along the high line that throws me a bit. Next time I'm going to head up there with a shovel and smooth it out. After all I don't want to use any more than 1inch of my available 4 inches of super plush FSR travel.

There's your rant. Oh.... That was fun. I'm such a d!ck.

Edit: I threw in the whole Down thing because I saw V-Dub lurking in the background. After trying a couple back flips only to end up with my own version of backwards rotation to occipital lobe smack I have a lot of respect for what he does.
    Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 06-15-2009 at 05:26 PM.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Today's Bobsled update for you:

Rode Dry Creek to Shoreline to Bobsled, a few puddles on all of them but nothing that you couldn't ride through without issue. Bobsled itself was pretty good, the ruts are still there but seem to be getting a little better in spots. The berms were fast, perfect traction all the way down. Sad to report that the trail sabotage is worse than last time I was up there, seems like whoever is doing the damage went back up and kicked the lips down a little more and took out the one on the gap this time too.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    Today's Bobsled update for you:

Rode Dry Creek to Shoreline to Bobsled, a few puddles on all of them but nothing that you couldn't ride through without issue. Bobsled itself was pretty good, the ruts are still there but seem to be getting a little better in spots. The berms were fast, perfect traction all the way down. Sad to report that the trail sabotage is worse than last time I was up there, seems like whoever is doing the damage went back up and kicked the lips down a little more and took out the one on the gap this time too.
    My theory on all of this: It has to be another cyclist or at worst, a concerned parent who's kid broke their arm on the trail when their '04 Stumpjumper failed them mid flight and they've taken it upon themselves to save the rest of the world from this evil trail. They're the same people who dumbed down our playgrounds with all that plastic crap, got rid of those sweet, giant swings we used to jump off of-landing and twisting ankles. Lowered the monkeybars and put recycled, shredded car tires beneath them and then feed their kids ritalin because they want to play.

Think about it. That trail has next to no trail runners, power walkers, dog walkers or general foot traffic.

The really lame thing is that the car jump has been there for years and you used to be able to just ride over the second car. So in my book that makes both of those stunts part of the original trail and whomever is kicking them down a big pu$$y. A big, wet Roseanne Bar pu$$y with a nasty yeast infection actually. Go see a doctor and get your sh!t worked out.

Unlike catch22, I stared at a disassembled bike frame sitting on my kitchen table and went to see The Hangover. If you need some comic relief from all this BS and are not easily offended, check that film out. It was the most crass, funny and disgusting film I've seen in many a year.

mtbr member
    so once everyone started talking about how bobsled was, I decided to stay clear. I woke up around 11 a.m. today and after realizing it was a balmy 90 degrees decided to go check out the bobsled. The rain has completely ruined the first half of the trail. There are 2 foot deep ruts everywhere. Oh..and all the jumps are pretty much knocked down now..including the one over the car...what happened?

Members who have read this thread: 0