Is awesome. Discuss.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    Is awesome. Discuss.
    I concur, was a blast Friday.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Is bluedot the route off of the main GBR trail? If so, never rode it but would REALLY like to. Pictures look great.

If that's not it, then I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    I concur, was a blast Friday.
    Might've saw you up there. I was with a friend, riding my Lenz road bike across around 1ish.

JMH, yes, and yes you do. It turns the GB climb into something that, for an accomplished technical rider, is 100% rideable.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Might've saw you up there. I was with a friend, riding my Lenz road bike across around 1ish.

JMH, yes, and yes you do. It turns the GB climb into something that, for an accomplished technical rider, is 100% rideable.
    Yeah, I was with the larger group you guys ran into, right near the start of Portal if I remember right. I definitely remember the Leviathan with drop bars, I had a less noticeable white Yeti. Great day to be riding up there, those wind gusts kept things interesting.

Well worth the ride Jordan, great technical riding and views. Easy route finding as well thanks to the dots.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    some friends from whistler ( who was in that group brian ) rode it again the following Wednesday.

They were intercepted by a BLM ranger who saw their tracks go in....

The BLM ranger heard some odd story that the trail was built by some guy from california!

Imagine that!

Sharon ( I was on the edge bike)

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodiegrrl
    some friends from whistler ( who was in that group brian ) rode it again the following Wednesday.

They were intercepted by a BLM ranger who saw their tracks go in....

The BLM ranger heard some odd story that the trail was built by some guy from california!

Imagine that!

Sharon ( I was on the edge bike)
    Interesting, did they get ticketed for it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    just a warning.

They're Canadian! they don't know any better!

Dr. Pepper drinker
    just a warning.

They're Canadian! they don't know any better!
    Ha! That's perfect, I'll have to remember that excuse if I ever get caught riding that thing. All I have to do to pass as Canadian is be extra friendly and squeeze in a few "eh's" right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    or start speaking french!

Dr. Pepper drinker
    or start speaking french!
    That sounds complicated, maybe I should just get a Knolly and call it good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Gold Bar Variation - Portal

Oct 5 2007

For more pics and story check out:
    https://www.leelau.net/2007/moab2007...bar2007_10_05/

Gold Bar Trail - We started with the climb up from Gemini Bridges along the Gold Bar Trail and down Portal. We rode with our friends from Whistler who we seem to meet in the most remote places! Our group of 12 moved pretty well.

Ho Hum, more stellar views of Moenkopi and Chinle sandstone skirting the base of the Wingate cliffs that surround us.

Arches National Park is East of us.

We arrive at the Kayenta ledges, let the fun begin! Brian and Kevin lead the way.

Most people come here for the technical descending... some come for the technical climbing!

Nice view! Good thing he has no depth perception!

Looking back at the 'trail'.

Looking across at the 'exposure' section.

Heading down!

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Good stuff Sharon, I'll try and get a few of mine posted up soon. Apparently I was really happy to get the hike a bike over with!

banned
    I have been to Moab several times and have never come across the type of trail you are showing pictures of. The first couple of pictures seem like they are of the dusty jeep road that takes you to Gemini Bridges.

My riding has been mainly on Amassa Back, Porcupine Rim, Flat Pass, Moab Rim, Poison Spider, Gold Bar Rim, Gemini Bridges and Back of Beyond. All those trails are very scenic but they have been all torn up due to jeep travel. They all have black tire marks and torn up sections due to jeeps climbing up or down the steep sections. Is there any vehicle travel on the Blue Dot?

From the pictures the Blue Dot trail seems to be just as scenic without all the torn up sections. I am curious if the trail is fun to ride? Are there a lot of unrideable sections? Is there any exposure?

It looks like from the pictures that the last part of the ride was on the Portal trail, so I assume that from the picture of Lee, across from what looks like Arches National Park, there must have been a section of trail between the top of the Gold Bar Rim and the Portal trail. Is that section fun and easy to follow?

What type of rider would like this ride? Is it possible to do it as an out and back? Since it seems to be on slickrock how do you keep from getting lost? Is it easy to find? Are there any long term sustainablity issues like several sections of the Soverign trail? Would it be a good ride after or during periods of heavy rainfall? Is the routing subject to snow during the winter? Is there any water for my dog along the route?

Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    Is there any vehicle travel on the Blue Dot?

I am curious if the trail is fun to ride?

Are there a lot of unrideable sections?

Is there any exposure?

Is that section fun and easy to follow?

What type of rider would like this ride?

Is it possible to do it as an out and back?

Since it seems to be on slickrock how do you keep from getting lost?

Is it easy to find?

Are there any long term sustainablity issues like several sections of the Soverign trail?

Would it be a good ride after or during periods of heavy rainfall?

Is the routing subject to snow during the winter?

Is there any water for my dog along the route?

No.

Total crap.

That would depend.

None whatsoever.

It sucks.

A lame one.

Yes.

Use the force.

No.

To a much smaller extent.

Depends.

Only in winter.

Only at the stream crossings.

banned
    No.
    Total crap.
    That would depend.
    None whatsoever.
    It sucks.
    A lame one.
    Yes.
    Use the force.
    No.
    To a much smaller extent.
    Depends.
    Only in winter.
    Only at the stream crossings.
    I am curious why you answered my questions as you did, but you don't need to explain. Did you enjoy the Blue Dot enough that you would recommend it to an intermediate rider?

mtbr member
    There's kind of an unwritten rule to not discuss specifics about non-inventory trails online so that may be why ionsmuse is being coy about the blue dot..... but he did bring it up, so.....

I believe these two photos are on the blue dot trail which may (or may not) be in Moab somewhere near/adjacent to/in the general vicinity of the Portal Trail. But I don't really know. Another photo of the first drop that someone posted awhile ago shows some blue streaks/dots on the rock. I'm only guessing here though. You really need to hook up with a local or knowledgeable frequent Moaber to find some of the best off-the-chart Moab riding.

Warning: These trails, which may or may not exist, are usually not particularly intermediate friendly, have several drops and some huge exposure. But are they fun?? Oh yeah...... or at least I suspect they would be if they existed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

I am curious why you answered my questions as you did, but you don't need to explain. Did you enjoy the Blue Dot enough that you would recommend it to an intermediate rider?

Ok, I'll stop being a snoid.

First issue, Blue Dot ain't exactly legal. Ergo, I ain't confirming sh!t.

Second, and intimately related to the first, Blue Dot's tough. Not ridiculously tough, but not the sort of thing one ought to ride in their first trip to the rock country. You'd be walking enough that it just wouldn't be fun.

Combine these two, and it ends up being a trail that exists (sorta) on a "need to know" basis. If you've been around enough, you'll probably meet someone in person who will be glad to spill the beans. It's a bit elitist, something with which I'm not entirely comfortable, but given the disaster that is Moab trail advocacy and public land relations right now, I'm ok with coyness being a necessary evil.

Being general, Blue Dot is a "singletrack", 95% slickrock, alternative to a well known 4x4 climb and traverse of one of the more spectacular natural features in the area. As such, it turns a good ride into a truly outstanding one, and separates you from the internal combustion scaries for most of the ride. The posted pictures make it pretty obvious where it is. Until legal things change, that's all the info you're going to get from the net.

Take a trip, ride a lot, and ask around. The meritocracy will filter things out and let you have fun.

And there are no stream crossings.

banned
    Until legal things change, that's all the info you're going to get from the net.
    I didn't realize there was a legal issue. Do they ever bring trails that seem to be well thought out into the system? How would one go about it?

I didn't realize there was a legal issue. Do they ever bring trails that seem to be well thought out into the system? How would one go about it?
    It does happen, and in this case is a work in progress. As to the later, there are folks here better able to answer than I.

banned
    It does happen, I.
    I hope for Moab's future it does happen.

The opening up of Hazard and LPS seems to have brought some new and old blood to Moab. When the Forest Service opens UPS back up, Moab will be hard to beat.

Canadians seem to really love Moab in the Spring and Fall due to the poor weather up north. With the devaluation of the US dollar and the great weather dring those times Moab is regaining popularity.

It sure would be nice to be able to ride more new singletrack. Those torn up jeep routes just aren't as enjoyable as Hazard, LPS, Soverign and the last two miles of Porcupine Rim.

Members who have read this thread: 0