Blown Out In Moab - Come have a beer!- Mtbr.com
    Team Fearless Descender

Blown Out In Moab - Come have a beer!

Wednesday 4/15 – Moab, UT.

Well, we managed to get two rides in over the past couple of days, but today… well… Crazy winds and blowing sand and dust. Actually geared up this morning hoping that, “ahh, it won’t be so bad north of town” HA!

Turned back, stowed the bikes and then walked up the street for lunch. Chewing on gritty sand and bare legs getting sandblasted.

Heading for the Moab Brewery for happy hour about 5:30. Come on over and tap the guy wearing the Ventana t-shirt on the shoulder.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

More Chasmism
    One the eerily worst weather days I've seen in my 11 years here. Can't say I've ever seen it rain mud before, as it did several hours ago.

Strange.

hfly

Gravity Tester
    Yeeesh! Headed that way this weekend. That doesn't look good. Here's hoping better days lie ahead.

JPE
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    The muddy rain really got me... crazy, i thought i was living on mars or something

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I did Klondike Bluffs this morning. Blowing like a hurricane! The dust didn't get too bad until almost back to the TH. I decided to bail on Moab and head for St. George. Snowing hard and sticking over San Rafaels. Then near Cedar City it snowed so hard that freeway traffic was only going 40-45 mph.

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by hfly
    One the eerily worst weather days I've seen in my 11 years here. Can't say I've ever seen it rain mud before, as it did several hours ago.

Strange.

hfly
    Lucky me?!?!?! Strangest weather in 11 years!

Well, we went to the Moab Brewery. The place was PACKED! We walked over, as we are staying across the street. Raining brown / red rain.

By the time we left, the sky was starting to clear a little, and it smelled more like rain, and less like mud. The two car washes, one on each side of the motel had lines at 7pm at night! After seeing my new-ish truck in the parking lot, covered in wet / red / gritty sand, I drove over and waited in line too.

What a friggen mess Moab was this afternoon.

NOAA and the Weather Channel are both calling for a continued chance of rain tonight, and even light dusting of snow in the AM.

Our sched already had us leaving tomorrow, driving to Hurricane to ride JEM / Goose, hopefuly things will be dry by then down there.

After two days there we head back to LA.

Stuff

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt

Our sched already had us leaving tomorrow, driving to Hurricane to ride JEM / Goose, hopefuly things will be dry by then down there.
    I got to Hurricane about 5:00pm today. Talked to the folks at OTE and they said there was a bit of snow and rain in town through the morning. They recommended Hurricane Rim or Slickrock Swamp as the best choices close to town if it rains or snows Wednesday night.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    How high does everyone think it will be dry by Sat? LPS, UPS, Kokopelli, or just muddy as hell all the way down to Sand Flats? No need to trash trails and bikes by going where I shouldn't.

Sorry, I know you get this ? all the time.

Talentless Hack
    On the upside the storm has brought three feet of new snow to the Wasatch! Best skiing of the year!
    James
    Sierra Club Sucks

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker
    I got to Hurricane about 5:00pm today. Talked to the folks at OTE and they said there was a bit of snow and rain in town through the morning. They recommended Hurricane Rim or Slickrock Swamp as the best choices close to town if it rains or snows Wednesday night.
    Just (Thursday / 3pm) pulled into Hurricane, drove Hwy 70 / 15, coming back from Moab. Ran into some falling snow for a bit, but nothing was sticking.

Stopped at OTE and spoke with Dave. He feels that IF we don't get any more rain tonight JEM, etc., would be good tomorrow. Sky is mixed bag at the moment. We've got 3 driving over from LV tomorrow to meet us thinking that they are riding, and riding JEM tomorrow, so I'm crossing my fingers.

Stuff

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt
    Just (Thursday / 3pm) pulled into Hurricane, drove Hwy 70 / 15, coming back from Moab. Ran into some falling snow for a bit, but nothing was sticking.

Stopped at OTE and spoke with Dave. He feels that IF we don't get any more rain tonight JEM, etc., would be good tomorrow. Sky is mixed bag at the moment. We've got 3 driving over from LV tomorrow to meet us thinking that they are riding, and riding JEM tomorrow, so I'm crossing my fingers.
    I got snowed off of slickrock swamp this morning about halfway through the ride. Trail was OK, It got too cold to be enjoyable. Started out sunny with broken clouds, then the black clouds to the SW moved in. I'm off to do Little Creek tomorrow morning, then start the drive back home.

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker
    I got snowed off of slickrock swamp this morning about halfway through the ride. Trail was OK, It got too cold to be enjoyable. Started out sunny with broken clouds, then the black clouds to the SW moved in. I'm off to do Little Creek tomorrow morning, then start the drive back home.
    Dude! Sorry to hear all that. Heck, your luck sounds only slightly worse than mine these past 10 days or so!

Well, looking at the weather for tomorrow, it does seem to be at least dry. Like I posted, we've got three friends meeting us from LV to do JEM + loop.

Heading to Ted & Allen's Sports Grill in a few. The 411 from Dave at OTE is that the place is decent and you can get a beer.

Come on over. Will likely be sitting at the bar with my wife. I'll be the GQ looking model guy!

Stuff

Members who have read this thread: 0