Black Bear in Park City??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Black Bear in Park City??

I was riding up Pinecone in Park City a few days ago. But, then, I had a thought - what if there were a black bear in the woods. There really wouldn't be anywhere for me to escape to. If I rode up, I would be too slow to get away. If I rode down, the bear would probably be fast enough to catch me.

Since I was alone and there were no riders nearby, I decided to turn around. I was just wondering, was I just letting my mind get the best of me? When I got home, I googled "black bear - park city" and came up with a KSL article about a bear that was found roaming around Park City a few years back.

I was just wondering, has anyone run into black bears while biking in Park City? Is so, what did you do to deal with them?

Thanks.

Frame Building Moderator
    Black bears are basically harmless. There are indeed some in Park City/the Wasatch. If you encounter one, leave it alone and go about your business. If needed, turn around and go the other way.

They eat fruit/nuts/plants/carrion/fish and sometimes garbage when people leave it out. They are only very rarely even predatory toward other small animals, let alone humans. Zero interest in you in general.

Moose are much more dangerous. Heck, people's unleashed dogs are more dangerous.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Steamboat Springs, CO has problems with black bears from time to time, but it would be pretty unusual for one to bother you. If you're really worried about them, you could carry bear spray.
    Aggressive bears reported in Steamboat Springs | Steamboat Pilot & Today

I've biked Emerald Mountain which is black bear territory at Steamboat, but even there, the locals say moose are a more serious danger. I haven't seen either there, but I did see a black bear while I was biking at Pagosa Springs, CO a few weeks ago. It was maybe 100 feet off to the side of the trail. I'm sure it knew I was there, but it showed no interest in me whatsoever.

mtbr member
    That's what I was thinking initially - that the Black Bear usually don't attack if you see them, unlike the Grizzly Bear. I can't let my fears get the best of me!!!

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    I was riding up Pinecone in Park City a few days ago. But, then, I had a thought - what if there were a black bear in the woods. There really wouldn't be anywhere for me to escape to. If I rode up, I would be too slow to get away. If I rode down, the bear would probably be fast enough to catch me.

Since I was alone and there were no riders nearby, I decided to turn around. I was just wondering, was I just letting my mind get the best of me? When I got home, I googled "black bear - park city" and came up with a KSL article about a bear that was found roaming around Park City a few years back.

I was just wondering, has anyone run into black bears while biking in Park City? Is so, what did you do to deal with them?

Thanks.
    Ignore them, and keep riding.

Unless you cover yourself in trash, blackberries or raw meat, they'll have no interest in you.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Lots of bad info in here. Black bears eat meat and plenty of it. The difference between a Grizzly and Black bear when they attack is this. With a Grizzly you can play dead, they hide their kill and come back to feed on it over several days, hence why they throw dirt and sticks on their kills. Black bears, the opposite, you better fight for your life! They don't stop!

So yes, don't turn and run, simply stand your ground and let them or you slowly back away. They will out run a horse or bike for that matter.

They can be very dangerous, usually they just walk off, usually.

They eat Grass mostly when they first come out of hibernation to unplug them! Then they eat certain grasses and nuts to plug them up for hibernation.

They eat termites a lot and dead animals. That's why their meat is risky to eat because they are scavengers and eat a lot of dead animals...

That's correct info for you. The biggest black bear I ever saw was in Vernal. He was a beast!

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by waveslayer View Post
    Lots of bad info in here. Black bears eat meat and plenty of it. The difference between a Grizzly and Black bear when they attack is this. With a Grizzly you can play dead, they hide their kill and come back to feed on it over several days, hence why they throw dirt and sticks on their kills. Black bears, the opposite, you better fight for your life! They don't stop!

So yes, don't turn and run, simply stand your ground and let them or you slowly back away. They will out run a horse or bike for that matter.

They can be very dangerous, usually they just walk off, usually.

They eat Grass mostly when they first come out of hibernation to unplug them! Then they eat certain grasses and nuts to plug them up for hibernation.

They eat termites a lot and dead animals. That's why their meat is risky to eat because they are scavengers and eat a lot of dead animals...

That's correct info for you. The biggest black bear I ever saw was in Vernal. He was a beast!

And the odds of a (small in UT) black bear attacking are so small that you are better off just...riding...your...bike.

As someone who sees bears weekly in VA, I've never been remotely concerned by their presence. Where they are MUCH, MUCH bigger than UT, and more numerous.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Frame Building Moderator
    What a joke. Black bears are dangerous if you mess with them or like Duke said, if you cover yourself in blackberries and trash.

Otherwise you have zero to worry about. You're much more likely to get hit by lightning, stomped by a moose, or fall in the shower.

North American Bear Center - How dangerous are black bears?

Money quote: "Black bears have killed 61 people across North America since 1900. This no longer worries me. My chances of being killed by a domestic dog, bees, or lightning are vastly greater. My chances of being murdered are 60,000 times greater. One of the safest places a person can be is in the woods."

-Walt

mtbr member
    Plus, what are the odds of seeing a black bear on the trails around park city. I have never seen one.

I did almost have a grouse fly into me on empire.

mtbr member
    I think the OP asked what are the odds of seeing and being attacked.

Odds are low seeing a bear, odds are low being attacked. But the bad advice was when people said to not worry that they like nuts etc...

I saw a cougar once by Sterling, the two legged kind

Frame Building Moderator
    I have had dozens if not hundreds of encounters with black bears in my life.

They run away from you, mostly. Or they ignore you.

They don't eat people.

Enjoy the outdoors. Wear some sunscreen and bring water. If there are black bears around, wear some sunscreen and bring water.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I did see a moose once while riding in the Park City area a few years ago. It was in the bushing just standing there not moving. The trail made a sweeping 180 loop around wherethe moose was. I initially stopped but the moose just stood there in the trees. Ultimately I continued on the trail and lopped around the moose. The moose never moved and the only thing it did was start to pee...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've ridden many hours in Park City - never seen a bear but seen many moose and had a cougar run out of in front of me and down the trail over at Deer Valley. I don't think seeing bears in PC is nearly as common as in other areas. I've been riding much more in the Tetons by Grand Targhee and it's not uncommon to see them there at all. That being said, I have recently purchased bear spray (REI has it for about $45 which is kinda pricey but maybe worth it one day!). It fits nicely in one of my side pockets on my Osprey Pack (it's a pocket without a zipper so it's easy to access). I take it with me now because I figure that I can use it on other aggressive animals as well if needed. We as mtn. bikers are a little more at risk because of the quietness and speeds that we move around so if we come upon a bear (or other animal) too quickly, it may feel threatened and attack. I've also switched from using headphones to riding with my music on my phone playing as loud as possible so other riders and animals can hear me coming.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

mtbr member
    Ding ding ding, dinner time. Jk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    last year I gave a young moose an enema the hard way. He was minding his bizness when I charged up on him around a corner. Not sure who was more freaked out, but he took off!

Canyons dawn patrol ride.....

I didn't do it
    Don't worry about a bear sighting. Give it room and y'all will be OK. At least that's what I do. When I lived in Seattle I encountered a few of them while out riding and never had a problem. They all took one look at me and didn't really give a sh!t that I was there.

I saw a badger the other day outside Duchesne. That was pretty cool.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Don't worry about a bear sighting. Give it room and y'all will be OK. At least that's what I do. When I lived in Seattle I encountered a few of them while out riding and never had a problem. They all took one look at me and didn't really give a sh!t that I was there.

I saw a badger the other day outside Duchesne. That was pretty cool.
    Glad I was on my UTV when I passed all of these. I was chased down. Turned around for a pic and I was charged! In Fillmore

mtbr member
    My red shoe laces were attacked by two hummingbirds on Guacamole a couple days ago....how do I defend myself?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    No one mentioned cubs. Watch for bear cubs. And moose calves. Probably the most dangerous animals you'll run into out there.

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    Last fall I had just come down Pinecone and was on Mid Mountain near where it passes under the lifts when I had to stop for a moose standing in the trail. Someone had just warned me about it and a young one and sure enough, they were still there. So, while I was standing there watching, a rider came up from the other side and startled the moose. It ran a few feet down the trail toward me and then stopped dead again. The rider on the other side of the moose waited for a few minutes and then what happened next was nothing short of amazing. The other rider just walked their bike up to the moose, slapped it on the ass and it walked right up the trail. The other rider got on her bike, and rode right up to me and another rider who were standing there awe struck. The other rider turned out to be a smaller, atheletic woman in her 40s in full spandex. I asked her "did you just slap that moose on the ass?" Her reply was "well, I already ran into her baby and figured if it wouldn't bother me about that, then it wouldn't hurt to gently scoot it off the trail. She then just smiled at us and rode away. Probably one of the craziest animal encounters I've had yet.

mtbr member
    I saw this mother moose and her calf just a few weeks ago on the Wasatch Crest trail. Black Bear in Park City??-img_0173.jpg

mtbr member
    This gal and two calves blocked Jenni's for about 15 minutes maybe 3 weeks ago as well. Was a pretty cool encounter, barely paid me any attention even though I about flew off my bike when I saw them.

Black Bear in Park City??-moose.jpg
    16 Stumpy Elite 650B

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Saw one yesterday where Tommy's Two Step goes off of Mid-Mountain. Tried to stop and get my phone out but he ran off into the woods. Bunch of 'em up there.