Biking scene in SLC ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Biking scene in SLC ?

For those of you who live in SLC, what's the biking scene like out there ?

How far a drive is it from the city to some good lung-busting mountain biking ?

Obviously moab is not too far away, but not doable after work.

Are there a lot of roadies out there ?

I was just out there last week, but unfortunately I didn't have time to investigate these things myself....

Thanks in advance !
    "Only silence is your true origin."

mtbr member

Everywhere!

beautiful alpine singletrack -10 minute drive,25 min on my bike from central valley! (milcreek cyn)
    Drive 30 min and have like 100 different singletracks to ride.Park City,Millcreek,American Fork, many more. Uintah mountains 1hour away.

Lots o roadies around,great canyons to ride in the summer.

Lived here my whole life and am finding new places to ride whenever i feel like it.

Krispy
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

mtbr member

follow up ?

If you were to give a % , how much would you say is the type of riding where you can get lost and not find your way out ? Is there that much "epic" riding there ?

For instance I live really close to the smoky mountains, but you can't ride there. Except on a few double lane gravel roads. Most of the riding nearby (1 hour away or less), isn't in a large enough area to get lost. Usually < 1000 acres at each place.

Thanks again !
    "Only silence is your true origin."

mtbr member
    Our wilderness is vast enough to get lost.However most of our rides go over mountains and offer views so you can see where you're at. A lot of trails have signs,and some have bail out descents along the way to get back to a canyon road.

Epic rides? You mean like starting in Salt Lake valley, taking the ski buss up Little Cottonwood canyon to Alta ski resort,climbing the pass and dropping into Brighton Ski resort where a bunch of hikers are asking what the hell you're doing up there,have lunch at the Brighton country store,climb onto the Crest trail,ride 10 more miles of buff singletrack and look down into Park City ski area,then The Canyons Ski area,then drop into Millcreek canyon and descend 10 miles down into Salt Lake valley? 7 hours-40 miles.You mean those kind of Epics? We've got lots of those.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

oh the passion

Krispy -

I feel the passion in your posts.

There is great riding here. But just don't tell your friends.

mtbr member
    Are you kiddin- if you know me then you'd know that i don't have any friends that will do a ride like that with me.They usually have to be lied to and then want to kill me 4 hours in!

When i tell them to take off the sticky rubber tires and put on some faster rolling treads they get tipped off and know that they're being mis led into a painfully long adventure.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

I am always down for a ride like that. The friends reference was to the man inquiring about the riding out here; that keeps the trails the way that they are. Sorry - I wasnt real clear on that.

As for the riding some epics, summer time cant come fast enough. And off topic, I need some advice on new disc brakes. I am leaning towards Hopes at this point, but I just wanted some expert advice on the subject. Any suggestions? They are for my DHR, which has Hayes 9 and an Avid mech right now. The Avid just isn't cutting it, and neither are the Hayes really. I have ridden Saints, Hayes Mags, and Juicies, and I have had limited experience with Hopes. They did feel the best, but I am wondering about long term durability and serviceability.

Thanks for the information. Sorry to hijack the thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Brake-Out,

Check out the "Where in Salt Lake" posting if you haven't. It will give you some good information regarding places to ride and websites to visit.

It's heaven.

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux
    I am always down for a ride like that.
    As am I. And Kris wouldn't even have to lie; a simple bribe involving something cold and alcoholic would do.

As for the riding some epics, summer time cant come fast enough. And off topic, I need some advice on new disc brakes. I am leaning towards Hopes at this point, but I just wanted some expert advice on the subject. Any suggestions? They are for my DHR, which has Hayes 9 and an Avid mech right now.
    Not an expert by any means, but... Magura Louise FR's. So far they are the best brakes I've ever ridden. Period.

I do have a new set of Formula ORO K24's that are waiting to install on my DH bike, however. According to the European press (Formula is revamping their products and image here in the US), the ORO's are top of the heap in terms of performance and weight. The latest issue of Mountain Bike Fiction has a report on the ORO Puro's, which are the ultra weight weenie XC version of the K24's (carbon blades, titanium bits and pieces, braided hose). I'm very curious to see how they stack up against the Magura's.... I talked with the guys at FormulaUSA at length (nice, knowledgable people, BTW), and they were persuasive enough to convince me to trade in an old set of 4Racing brakes and get the ORO's. The upgrade price was almost impossible to pass up; I wouldn't have been able to afford the ORO's otherwise.

I've ridden various incarnations of Hayes Mags for a long time and, though very reliable and maintenance free, they're modulation sucks. I have a set of Purple's with Goodridge lines and, though they stop well enough, the difference is night and day compared to the Magura's. With Hayes, you pull the lever and hold on. With Magura's, you can feel and finesse maximum braking power, without losing traction. And as for raw power power....grab a full handfull, and you're almost guaranteed a trip over the bars.

I've also ridden Hopes...IMHO, they fall somewhere between Hayes and Magura in terms of feel; power is good on the 4- and 6-pot units. They tend to be a little tempermental during setup, however, and sometime squeal like a squirrel raping a mongoose...and you can't get rid of the noise.

YMMV.

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the reply. I have heard that the Hopes sound like something terrible most of the time. I have also heard that changing the pads and getting rid of the metallic-based pad helps a ton with this. I am wary of the Formulas as they are foreign (just like Hopes, I know) and parts would seem to be an issue if I ever had any trouble. At least Hopes are fairly well known and used in the US. I have also heard good things about the Maguras.

I will wait to hear from Kris on the subject and then jump on one of the brake systems before summer.

Also, I see that you frequent the utahmtbing site from time to time, and maybe you could help me out with this: Why is it that pics of Geneva Steel get more love than pics from riding in Virgin? Sometimes I really think that many on that board have some sort of deep seeded disdain for wheels that leave the ground. I don't really know though...

Happy trails - and if you are ever up for some riding, shoot me a PM.

mtbr member

ot- brakes

Hopes LOOK the best and SHOULD be the best but just aren't.Feel is OK power is OK service is OK...
    For 06 they're going with standardized rotors,mounting,and hose size,this should help.

I like Shimano XT/Saint the most,Avids Juicys are very intersting,very different to bleed and the adjustments are VERY cool.Power is OK.

Maguras work excellent,but are a total joke to bleed,parts have to be ordered direct and are very expensive in the US.Sorry Sprung.
    Very curious about the new formulas,they look really cool!

Krispy

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Maguras work excellent,but are a total joke to bleed,parts have to be ordered direct and are very expensive in the US.Sorry Sprung.
    Very curious about the new formulas,they look really cool!
    Murphy's Law seems to follow me with determination: most bike maintenance duties I perform turn into a joke. Therefore, I guess I really never noticed anything out of the ordinary with bleeding the Magura's. And I do definitely agree, parts can be expensive. I haven't had to replace anything but pads, so it's been a semi-tolerable expense.

I just need to build the wheelset for the Mountain Cycle and I'll be ready to put all the pieces back together. If you'd like to try the Formula's out, I'd be more than happy to bring the bike by the shop. I probably should bed them in beforehand, though... Maybe a trip to Boulder CIty, or suck it up and pedal the thing around Gooseberry some weekend.

I am wary of the Formulas as they are foreign (just like Hopes, I know) and parts would seem to be an issue...
    I was concerned as well, but Formula now has an official US presence, FormulaUSA. You can pick up the phone, immediately talk to a person who knows the brakes, order parts (for old and new systems), ask questions about setup, etc. It was refreshing to be able to spend 30 minutes on the phone with a person who knew his sh!t, was able to address my concerns about Formula in general, etc. I'll reserve final judgement until I ride the ORO's, but right now their customer service ranks them high on my "good" list.

Happy trails - and if you are ever up for some riding, shoot me a PM.
    I will. Feel free to do the same. Have fun picking out your new brakes!

mtbr member
    Shimano Saints!
    wannabee gaper

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Back from the dead! Krispy, I hope you haven't been waiting the last six years to pull the trigger on new brakes.

JMH

mtbr member
    +1 for Magura Louise.

you don't have to buy them direct. they are usually available (and are currently) on Ebay for $50-60 per side.

Bleeding them is easy if you buy their magura specific bleed kit. Maybe need to bleed every other season. Newer models have a bleed port that makes things easy. Bleed kit available from universal cycles online.

I Don't mind buying their kit when only investing $100 -120 for brakes with excellent modulation of the Magura louise.

I am currently running new magura MT8's on one bike. SUPER light weight- plenty strong , with same excellent Magura modulation- but be careful with their hardware. making any adjustments or bleeding, you could easily trash their super light bleed port caps or lever adjustment screws. I would have gladly given up extra grams for more durable hardware.

Salt lake trails are awesome. We are truly fortunate to have this diversity and access.

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    6 years later...a reply

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Coming from anti-mountain bike, rainy Portland, I will say the Salt Lake riding is awesome. It's as good as the skiing in my opinion. I actually prefer the SLC/Park City riding to Moab, but I like smooth singletrack more than slickrock for everyday riding. And the culture is very pro-mountain bike which is really refreshing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike03cf View Post
    Coming from anti-mountain bike, rainy Portland, I will say the Salt Lake riding is awesome. It's as good as the skiing in my opinion. I actually prefer the SLC/Park City riding to Moab, but I like smooth singletrack more than slickrock for everyday riding. And the culture is very pro-mountain bike which is really refreshing.
    Welcome to town! You'll come to miss some of those nice smooth PNW singletrack sections, with all the spaces filled in with pine needles and other bio debris (I'm from Oregon, and long for some of those trails from time to time), but there are a few spots of trail in Mill Creek Canyon that make me feel like I'm riding in Oregon, if only for a minute or 2. But yeah, despite "popular" opinion (because Portland is supposedly bike-friendly, everyone just assumes it is a great place for those who like to ride), SLC kills Portland as far as riding goes, as well as other outdoor rec.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    I will be in the SLC area the second week of May for work and may be there over the weekend with some time to kill. looking for suggestions since I have never been to SLC or Utah for that matter. If I had one day to put some XC miles on, where would I go to rent a bike, and what trails would you suggest riding?
    Trek Fuel EX 6
    Cannondale F5
    Felt Z100

My photos

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Go-ride.com has bikes for rent. I would head up to Park City and checkout the Glenwild area trails. This map is great for seeing what's available:

skidmap.com

Have fun!

mtbr member
    thanks! will check them out.
    Trek Fuel EX 6
    Cannondale F5
    Felt Z100

My photos

Members who have read this thread: 0