Which bike to take?- Mtbr.com
    rolls on 26's
    Jun 2006

Which bike to take?

So this next weekend i'm going for a class down to Zion and we're going to do some biking. We're doing a ride through Kolob Canyon and through the park, just on roads and paths, but then we're also going to ride Gooseberry Mesa. But I don't know what bike to take. I can take my hardtail with a 3" travel fork or i can take my big bike, an Iron Horse Yakuza Ojiki with 7" rear 6" front. From some video I've seen of the trail I feel like I'll have more fun on Gooseberry with the big bike. I can also jack the seat up on it and put it in a small gear so would it be too bad for the other two rides? or should I just take my hardtail? Thanks.

splat
    Quote Originally Posted by aj_gilbs
    So this next weekend i'm going for a class down to Zion and we're going to do some biking. We're doing a ride through Kolob Canyon and through the park, just on roads and paths, but then we're also going to ride Gooseberry Mesa. But I don't know what bike to take. I can take my hardtail with a 3" travel fork or i can take my big bike, an Iron Horse Yakuza Ojiki with 7" rear 6" front. From some video I've seen of the trail I feel like I'll have more fun on Gooseberry with the big bike. I can also jack the seat up on it and put it in a small gear so would it be too bad for the other two rides? or should I just take my hardtail? Thanks.
    the problem i see is that with a hardtail with that little 3" fork, i think you'll be bashing your pedals and chainrings a lot through gooseberry. then again, your yakuza may be a little too much... but i'd still take that over the hardtail. i've seen people riding santa cruz v10s though there, and they seem alright. i've taken my bro's transition preston which had 6"/5" travel, and i did just fine.

the yakuza... may not be the best on the trails. but i figure that you're class is gonna have some sucky riders anyway, so who needs the perfect bike. i doubt anyone's going to have the ideal bike for either situation.

i vote.......... neither. it's a tie. ha! deal with that.

i kid, um, take the yakuza?
    have a safe and productive day.

rolls on 26's
    Jun 2006
    thats, what I was thinking too, but I just wanted to get the opinions of people who have ridden goseberry, and your right, there are some beginners in my class, so i'm towards the top in experience so I don't think the big bike will slow me down much.

mtbr member

Zion Class

So how was the class?

rolls on 26's
    Jun 2006
    it was pretty kick @$$. Definetely the best 2 credits i'll ever take. I was towards the back on the road rides, but the big bike was so much more fun on Gooseberry. Then my friend and I went and checked out the Rampage area too. We didn't hit many things, some smaller stuff but it was still sick to be there and actually see that stuff in person. i'll post some pics later...

mtbr member
    Does Jeff still teach that class?

Members who have read this thread: 0