Bike Storage in UT- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Bike Storage in UT

I just got a new Specialized Myka HT Disc and am loving it. I have a question about storage. I am currently a college student and our apartment doesn't have the most space. I know that it is really dry here in UT, so (aside from the fact that my bike is vulnerable to theft if stored outside in a bike rack) is it not a good idea to keep it outside? I am definitely planning on bringing it in when it rains/snows, but does leaving it outside the rest of the time hurt the bike? Do most of you bring your bikes inside? I am just curious. I really want to take care of my bike!

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Keep it inside your apartment out of the elements. Thieves will yank it right off your porch/deck.

mtbr member
    Definitely keep it inside, if at all possible. Theft would be the biggest reason to do so since your bike should be fine in most of the elements. If you absolutely have to store it outdoors, make sure to use a quality u-lock (or burly chain lock) along with some other type of lock. Keep in mind that cable locks are easily cut. Also, look up proper ways to use locks to further decrease the risk of theft.

mtbr member
    Inside - you won't be fast enough to keep it out of the elements Maybe you could come up with a more creative way to store it inside - at least loosen the stem at the steer tube so you can rotate the handlebar parallel with the front wheel.
    Bikewagon - Hop on!

www.bikewagon.com

Members who have read this thread: 0